Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Inverter in repurposed generator locatoin with agm batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Inverter in repurposed generator locatoin with agm batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am thinking about upgrading my solar some and this is my plan.

I will locate my 2 agm deep cycles, 30 amp mppt solar controller and 2000 watt inverter all in the old generator location that I removed several years ago. Presently there is just one agm in there now.
The generator comppartmment is well vented as the orignal door is on the compartment. There is plenty of room for this equipment and air movement.

My concerns are

All though agm's should not out gas except if extreme overcharging occurs. It still makes me a little nervous.

The second concern is The propane compartment is above the genrator compartment. That kind of makes me nervous. Like what if the propane leaks and falls and kinda get side tracked into the generator compartment below. Of course the original design had the generator running below the propane[emoticon].

So what do you all think?

This is on my 98 Lance Truck Camper

Thanks
Dave

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Makes sense to me. I have the 2000w inverter under the kitchen counter with the AGMs (no venting normally,so ok inside IMO--technically maybe not, but I am ignoring that--I will not overcharge them to cause venting)

Only thing not mentioned in OP is battery charger/converter. I have mine handy to the inverter so they share the fat, short wires to battery bank along with the solar wires.

Do have a Trimetric or other means to measure amps for the AGMs. To know if they are full, you must see that they get down to accepting 0.5a/100AH. Not possible without an ammeter. Death to AGMs if you don't.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upgrading your solar system is a great idea. What did your energy say you use or what do you want to be able to use...amp hours?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/19 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, the old "What if an asteroid comes through the living room drapes?

It is difficult to achieve 17+ volts needed to vent an AGM battery. You'll be too busy putting out fires at the refrigerator and converter to notice. The smoke detector will scream, blackout city with lighting and the fuses would have to first, go on vacation.

Runaway converters are as rare as a teenager missing burger night.

I hope the intended humor helps you chuckle away an active imagination [emoticon]

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would move the inverter up into a protected portion of the living quarters or into the compartment NEXT to the battery compartment. Two reasons for this. one is thermal control the living space is likely cooler than the storage spaces in the summer.

And add more battery.. I'm not sold on the alleged advantages of AGM by the way. I think the major advantage is to the sellers (More profit).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I would move the inverter up into a protected portion of the living quarters or into the compartment NEXT to the battery compartment. Two reasons for this. one is thermal control the living space is likely cooler than the storage spaces in the summer.

And add more battery.. I'm not sold on the alleged advantages of AGM by the way. I think the major advantage is to the sellers (More profit).

When I traveled by horse line-shack to line-shack my uncle thought I was nuts to change the lighting from standard kerosene to hurricane lamp. Shoot the pot-bellied stove was good enough to warm things up, firewood was lodgepole pine. Yeah, I did have to wait a bit for water to boil to make cowboy coffee but my day got off to a great start.

Battery? I didn't need no stinking battery!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as that generator compartment has reasonable ventilation I would not give any of it second thoughts.
Although I would recommend 400+ amp hrs with a 2000 watt inverter.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave17352 wrote:

I will locate my 2 agm deep cycles, 30 amp mppt solar controller and 2000 watt inverter all in the old generator location that I removed several years ago. Presently there is just one agm in there now.
The generator comppartmment is well vented as the orignal door is on the compartment. There is plenty of room for this equipment and air movement.

Great plan!

When I replaced my worn out flooded G27 which was mounted on the trailer tongue I installed a G31 AGM in the front pass through cargo compartment. I located the inverter right beside it so the heavy gauge +/- cables between the two were just 18" long, which resulted in minimal voltage drop when the inverter was under heavy load. Worked just fine.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave17352 wrote:

All though agm's should not out gas except if extreme overcharging occurs.

NOT TRUE !

AGM batteries WILL VENT (out gas) under "extreme overcharging". If they did not, they would explode.

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

dave17352 wrote:

All though agm's should not out gas except if extreme overcharging occurs.

NOT TRUE !

AGM batteries WILL VENT (out gas) under "extreme overcharging". If they did not, they would explode.

Are we not saying the same thing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Inverter in repurposed generator locatoin with agm batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.