cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inexpensive Garmin GPS

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading all the GPS posts I can find and have know all the pros and cons of the Garmin RV GPS units. However I do not want a fancy unit.

I'm looking for a Garmin unit with US and Canadian maps along with LMT. I don't own a GPS unit, the only time I used a GPS was on our boat. Were heading to the Canadian Maritimes for a few months next year and would like to have a GPS for that trip.

Is there a Garmin unit that would work for me. Maybe one for a car would need.

Please don't bombard me with all the reasons I should get something like a Garmin RV770, I'm not looking for that.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the information. I'm going to check out each suggestion and figure out what will work best for me.

Again thank you.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Best shot off the top of my head is here.

We have two, I don't remember the model of the small 4" screen but we have a 65LM. That one is in the DW's car the small one in in the Towed. I went and looked and the 4" is a novi 2555 LMT.

We're pretty map savvy and do not rely extensively on the GPS. In our rig, the DW sets her's up one way and I mine with different parameters. I really use the speed function because sometimes the speed limits change quickly.

My model 65 was reconditioned and less than $100.

The link I gave does ship all over.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A basic car unit is all that is needed IMHO. Updates are OK but existing roads rarely change and even new roads may need 2 or more years to be updated. I'e never found anything useful relative to traffic. Some have posted that it's very valuable for urban commuting.

When we want stores, CG, fuel etc we go online. My son uses his phone for navigation which is a GPS unit alternative.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Call Garmin and ask for the lowest priced GPS or what GPS is on sale??

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garmin Nuvi 2539

This is what I use, along with data from POI Factory, and Route 1 Low Clearances. Works great for me. It did an excellent job last year. I plan all routes in BaseCamp and upload them to the GPS. I tell the GPS where to go and it parrots the route back to me while we travel. Very few surprises that way.

FWIW I rarely allow the GPS to determine the route, but we got caught two times last year by detours and closed roads. The Nuvi 2539 did a fantastic job guiding us back to our original route.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"