cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure Accuracy

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
When measuring my RV tire pressure I have the TST TPMS, but when checking my tires before each trip, I also use one of those pressure measuring "sticks" (the kind in which you push on the stem and the measurer pops out the bottom telling you what your pressure is). The stick is much easier to use when adding air and with the TST, I have to repeatedly screw on/off...you guys know what I mean.

My quantry - the two systems are about 7-8 pounds different (across each tire, 111/112 vs 104/5). Which system would you trust as being closer to the real tire pressure? My tires are 110 PSI rated. The stick is one of the bigger models, over a foot long, not sure if that means its better than a small style.

Thanks for your help,
Mike
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL
14 REPLIES 14

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Curly2001 wrote:
ACCU-GAGE
THE STANDARD IN TIRE GAUGES
From Dials to digitals and pencils to inflators, G.H. Meiser is proud to offer a high quality gauge that will meet any need. With all Accu-gage products backed by our one year warranty, our gauges are built to last. Precise. Accurate. Durable. Accu-Gage.

I would look at this company for great gauges. Decent price also. You can get them off Amazon.

Curly

Most of them on AMAZON/ebay are Made In China. They do make US models but are hard to find!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
ACCU-GAGE
THE STANDARD IN TIRE GAUGES
From Dials to digitals and pencils to inflators, G.H. Meiser is proud to offer a high quality gauge that will meet any need. With all Accu-gage products backed by our one year warranty, our gauges are built to last. Precise. Accurate. Durable. Accu-Gage.

I would look at this company for great gauges. Decent price also. You can get them off Amazon.

Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Look at car racing equipment websites...JEGS, Summit, etc.
I use Joes Racing analog and digital.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have the EEZ TPMS that gives me one set of PSI's, then I have a AstroAI ATG230 Digital Tire Pressure Gauge that gives me a different set of PSI's and I have a VIAIR 400P Portable Compressor that gives me yet another set of PSI's. Who knows which one is accurate if any at all. The important thing is they are all within a couple of PSI so I don't sweat it. I'm sure tire manufacturers aren't that worried about their customers being off 2-3 PSI.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a stick gauge for the truck dually tires since they aren't easily checked with a regular gauge. I check one of the tires with the stick gauge and see how close it is to the reading I get with my digital gauge. They are always within a couple psi.

I agree that a couple psi isn't enough to get upset over. I might be concerned about 5 psi difference, and definitely with 7-8 psi difference. JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a PSI mgt system for the trailer, just the truck. Always used a pressure /slide out gauge (small one) until I saw that the reading started to be all over the place. Went to NAPA no parts and bought a long one like OP described and used by our guys in the shop. So far so good.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
This brings to mind the old adage. "A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure."

I agree with checking with another gauge to see what's up. At my local Discount Tire store they do free air checks as well as have a bucket of the stick types for free on the counter. If you have the same I would ask for a pressure check and maybe grab a stick or two and go compare them against each other.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Well, if your gauge disagrees the same amount with all sensors, then I would pitch the gauge and get a new one. One or two sensors could be off but not all of them, and not all the same amount. Time for a new gauge.

Have used the same gauge for years, had always wondered how accurate. When I bought the new truck in 2014 it showed my tire pressures on the screen. The gauge was accurate almost to the psi. compared with the truck

I installed the TST 507 on the fifth wheel recently. Set the tires to the desired pressure. The TST reads 4-5 psi lower then my old gauge . Truck ,and gauge match, TST does not. Decided to just split the difference with the TST. Not sure I want to get caught up in 4 psi on a 110 psi tire that I run around 100 psi

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I like the digital gauges from Accutire. They are easy to read, accurate, and a good gauge for the money. I've had worst results with the stick type, but like most instruments, the higher cost versions will likely give the best results.

Jerry

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I have found with my TST that I set the pressure about 2 psi above my target pressure before I install the TST sensor and most of the time the TST will report my target pressure.

What I consider most important is to get the tires on any axle as close to each other as possible. Then when on the road for more than 25 miles the pressures on any axle should be within a couple psi. If they are not time to determine why.

One time I found a tire that was about 4 psi lower than the other 3 on my trailer. Stopped at the next service area and this is what I found. A 3/8 by 2 inch bolt.

The TPMS saved me from having a bad tire day.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem. Bought a high quality stick gauge and found out the old gauge was the problem.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, if your gauge disagrees the same amount with all sensors, then I would pitch the gauge and get a new one. One or two sensors could be off but not all of them, and not all the same amount. Time for a new gauge.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
I have a digital tire pressure guage and it's always about 4 pounds different from the tpms.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that your stick is the one that is off. You need to try yet another gauge for comparison, or better yet compare your stick to one that has been calibrated. My TST sensors are within two pounds of each other.