cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chaco canyon NP in NM ?'s

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking for any info on campgrounds nearby for a 31ft Class C. I believe we will be visiting after going to Las Vegas
Proud father of a US Marine
13 REPLIES 13

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
If you took the road in from the east from Nageezi, that's at least partly off-reservation trust land, not reservation per se. "Off-reservation trust land refers to real estate outside an Indian reservation that is held by the Interior Department for the benefit of a Native American tribe or a member of a tribe. Typical uses of off-reservation trust land include housing, agriculture or forestry, and community services such as health care and education." (Wikipedia)

Lynn

fanrgs wrote:
I have driven two 4WD pickups and a rental SUV into Chaco, but wouldn't take my car or fifth wheel on that road. On one of the pickup trips, I brought a tent, sleeping bag, food, and water and stayed at the park campground. The other trips, I have stayed in Bloomfield (closer than Farmington), and driven to Chaco from there. Once, I drove out late at night (after the Saturday night star party) and nearly hit a bull elk standing in the middle of the road just outside the park boundary.

FYI, the really bad portion of the road is on the Navajo Reservation. And they apparently don't plan to improve it in the near future.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven two 4WD pickups and a rental SUV into Chaco, but wouldn't take my car or fifth wheel on that road. On one of the pickup trips, I brought a tent, sleeping bag, food, and water and stayed at the park campground. The other trips, I have stayed in Bloomfield (closer than Farmington), and driven to Chaco from there. Once, I drove out late at night (after the Saturday night star party) and nearly hit a bull elk standing in the middle of the road just outside the park boundary.

FYI, the really bad portion of the road is on the Navajo Reservation. And they apparently don't plan to improve it in the near future.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chaco is not be missed. Summer thunderstorm can turn road into a quagmire. I worked on the Navajo Res and out of Farmington on some coal mines. The commute is long and difficult. Try to stay at the site or find a place to boondock nearby.

We drove there once in a 2wd Subaru with four people. We got out to push about 6x and were covered in mud by the time we got there. The day the mud people came to visit Chaco Cyn.

The site was clearly a regional center to celebrate cellestial events for Publeoan people. They travelled long distances to get there. The ponderosa pine logs used for vigas to support the roof structures came from distant mountains 50-90 miles away. The logs have been used to date the structures on the site. I love this place.

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
rbtglove wrote:
We stayed in the park - Yes it was rough going in BUT IF YOU TAKE IT EASY IT CAN BE DONE. there no hook up only a table, drinking water only at the small store. Need ant spray for sure. But well worth the effort. Campground is in the canyon near ancient ruins and when the sun goes down it is amazing. Not for wimps

That's the kind of place we live for! Don't care if it's a little rough, we can handle it.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
One day isn't enough to fully appreciate Chaco. 21 miles of gravel - 1st 7 are good, 2nd 7 ok, 3rd 7 plan on slow going (10-15mph). We spent 4 nights in there last year - could have stayed longer! I'd hate to make the drive in and out in a single day, wouldn't allow enough time to see backcountry sites or the nighttime astronomy presentation.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
don't take your RV down that road. Stay in Farmington and drive down in your toad.
as stated, it's washboard, about 18 miles of it and no exaggeration..it's ROUGH.
but do go, because it's worth the effort.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in the park - Yes it was rough going in BUT IF YOU TAKE IT EASY IT CAN BE DONE. there no hook up only a table, drinking water only at the small store. Need ant spray for sure. But well worth the effort. Campground is in the canyon near ancient ruins and when the sun goes down it is amazing. Not for wimps
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto on not taking an RV down there
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dedmiston
We really loved Farmington too.

If you're a beer lover, check out the offerings from Three Rivers Brewing Co in Farmington.

I hope you enjoy Chaco. There's nothing like it. Spend as much time there as you can.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Rug
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Farmington and drove down to Chaco.
There is no way I would take an RV over the road into Chaco. In fact we will never go back because of the road into the park.
You have about 20 miles of washboard road into the park. This is a very rough washboard.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a campground at the Chaco Culture National Historic Park - but no hookups/complete off-the-grid boondocking. It is often full during the season, too. As agesilaus said, Farmington/Bloomfield would be the nearest campgrounds with hookups.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
THe NPS has a campground at Chaco, but, as agesilaus pointed out, the road in can be a devil (unless you're just lucky enough to get there when it's been freshly graded). Note that most of the road in is dirt and gravel across non-NPS land; it switches to paved once you enter the NP itself.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You probably want to look in Farmington, that's where we stayed. Chaco is in the middle of nowhere and I saw no nearby cg. The road in is dirt, probably wash boarded and long. Watch carefully for signs since it's a maze of dirt roads back there.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper