Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Chaco canyon NP in NM ?'s
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Chaco canyon NP in NM ?'s

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbtglove wrote:

We stayed in the park - Yes it was rough going in BUT IF YOU TAKE IT EASY IT CAN BE DONE. there no hook up only a table, drinking water only at the small store. Need ant spray for sure. But well worth the effort. Campground is in the canyon near ancient ruins and when the sun goes down it is amazing. Not for wimps

That's the kind of place we live for! Don't care if it's a little rough, we can handle it.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chaco is not be missed. Summer thunderstorm can turn road into a quagmire. I worked on the Navajo Res and out of Farmington on some coal mines. The commute is long and difficult. Try to stay at the site or find a place to boondock nearby.

We drove there once in a 2wd Subaru with four people. We got out to push about 6x and were covered in mud by the time we got there. The day the mud people came to visit Chaco Cyn.

The site was clearly a regional center to celebrate cellestial events for Publeoan people. They travelled long distances to get there. The ponderosa pine logs used for vigas to support the roof structures came from distant mountains 50-90 miles away. The logs have been used to date the structures on the site. I love this place.

* This post was edited 06/30/19 09:15am by ppine *

fanrgs

Mile High City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/19 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have driven two 4WD pickups and a rental SUV into Chaco, but wouldn't take my car or fifth wheel on that road. On one of the pickup trips, I brought a tent, sleeping bag, food, and water and stayed at the park campground. The other trips, I have stayed in Bloomfield (closer than Farmington), and driven to Chaco from there. Once, I drove out late at night (after the Saturday night star party) and nearly hit a bull elk standing in the middle of the road just outside the park boundary.

FYI, the really bad portion of the road is on the Navajo Reservation. And they apparently don't plan to improve it in the near future.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you took the road in from the east from Nageezi, that's at least partly off-reservation trust land, not reservation per se. "Off-reservation trust land refers to real estate outside an Indian reservation that is held by the Interior Department for the benefit of a Native American tribe or a member of a tribe. Typical uses of off-reservation trust land include housing, agriculture or forestry, and community services such as health care and education." (Wikipedia)

Lynn

fanrgs wrote:

I have driven two 4WD pickups and a rental SUV into Chaco, but wouldn't take my car or fifth wheel on that road. On one of the pickup trips, I brought a tent, sleeping bag, food, and water and stayed at the park campground. The other trips, I have stayed in Bloomfield (closer than Farmington), and driven to Chaco from there. Once, I drove out late at night (after the Saturday night star party) and nearly hit a bull elk standing in the middle of the road just outside the park boundary.

FYI, the really bad portion of the road is on the Navajo Reservation. And they apparently don't plan to improve it in the near future.

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Chaco canyon NP in NM ?'s
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.