Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Free 1996 35’ Gulfstream Innsbrook.. worth it?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Free 1996 35’ Gulfstream Innsbrook.. worth it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Anderson440

Sycamore

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, first things first, I AM a carpenter with 12 years experience. Let’s talk about this. I need advice. First camper. I have the chance to get a free 35’ innsbrook in seriously bad shape. The slideout is stuck, Rotted so bad the actual hydraulic ram pulled the wood right off the slideout. I went inside, there is a 2’ hole in the floor that somebody filled with spray foam, and carpeted over. Miserable. It has water leaks in the master bedroom. But heres the kicker - the AC and heat work, and plumbing. I would gut it completely. I would reframe it with metal studs. I can rebuild the slideout, I can put a new roof on, I figure $2,000 and alot of time. I would tile the shower with flexible grout, do it up with real cabinets, is it worth it. It’s sat out with the slide out all winter, it is just straight rotted. Would any of you spend $2,500-3000 on repairing this 35’ Gulfstream? I don’t usually ask, this ones bothering me.

* This post was edited 06/27/19 09:04pm by Anderson440 *

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. That 2-3000 will grow much larger.

Home Skillet

Pearland Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walk away NOW!!

2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want a project, buy it! If you want to go camping in the next two or three years, pass it buy.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

unless you are prepared to take it right down to the frame RUN.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/19 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, if you're willing to put that amount of time in and have the skills you're much better off building from scratch. Perhaps take the trailer and grab the AC, heater, and fridge if it works and build your own from the frame up. You'll send up with a trailer that's superior to basically anything you can buy (and certainly better than having up a rotted out old trailer) for not a lot more money.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/19 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything is obsolete, so parts for the appliances / A/C are non existent.
Much as I like to see vintage stuff, No reason to save it, as it's to far gone.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have nothing better to do and want to restore it for a hobby, go for it.
I have built three houses from the ground up, (including plumbing and wiring) and I find it is much easier to build new from scratch then to restore.
I wouldn't touch it, but if you do; make sure to check out the frame and axels first.

Guy

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't say whether it's fiberglass or aluminum siding? If it's fiberglass and you have delamination on the trailer your getting a frame. Is the only thing rotted is the slideout? I purchased a late model project camper this winter. The camper had three holes in the roof from tree damage. I'm in the process of redecking the roof and putting in a new ceiling. Will redo the counter and put in single bowl deep sink. Then new carpet in the slideout.

If you have the skills these things are not rocket science to put together. The materials are not that expensive as well. The most expensive thing is labor. At that age it will need a new roof and probably decking. A RV repair center in Hutchison had three RV'S in their 8 bays for slideout repair, most late model.

While it takes very little time to build the RV it is very time consuming to repair. Another issue is do you have a dry space to work on the unit until it's weather tight? When you get done it will only have limited value because of it's age. As mentioned earlier the appliances will be at the end of their life cycle and can fail, water heater, A/C, refrigerator and can be expensive to replace.

You can have a lot of time in the RV that probably could earn enough money by working a job and purchasing a newer unit. I'm retired so my time is only of value to me. If I do a project it's during the off season's. I would rather work on something then sit on my posterior and watch tv.

Like I said earlier most projects people purchase are not completed, people lose interest. Good luck with your decision.

* This post was edited 06/28/19 04:03am by colliehauler *

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

take it (if its truly free) and pull off anything you have use for (appliances fittings, furnace, ac, converter, whatever. then wreck it out and build/buy what you want. no way your rebuilding that for under 3k.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Free 1996 35’ Gulfstream Innsbrook.. worth it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS