cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water system woes.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
My 05 expedition seems to give me a new issue to track down each time we use it. This last weekend dry camping on the Oregon Coast day 2 the water pump would not shut off. I need to track down the issue the tank gauge shows it still has a 1/4 tank of water and I would be very surprised if it was empty knowing how much water was used. I replaced the water filter before we left but I will check that anyway. I also need to check to see if there is a screen trap.

I need to order some new filters it has a Watts 10" single stage filter housing. I see filters rated from 10 microns down to .5 microns with prices all over the place. I would like to order several anyone have a good source? The filters are 2.5" x 10" they actually measure less than that but that seems to be the right ones.

Thanks Mike
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
15 REPLIES 15

BUB1988
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the tank sizes for all of your tanks. We have a 03 Class 'A' and my wife and I can go about 12 days before we need to dump? Depending on the fresh water tank size you may be okay with a full tank.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Gundog wrote:
Well surprise the tank was empty. That surprises me my RV's before this one would always have full black and grey water tanks before the fresh water was empty. Now I know the gauge for fresh water is not accurate as it read a 1/4 tank. I opened the fresh water drain and nothing came out so I closed it put some water in the tank and like magic the pump built up pressure and shut off. Feel kinda dumb now for even posting this. But I still need to get some filters.

Hey, that's the best kind of fix there is! Give yourself a dope slap, and party on.

At least you didn't leave the antenna up or the awnings out, or smack your head into the slide out

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Gundog wrote:
Well surprise the tank was empty. That surprises me my RV's before this one would always have full black and grey water tanks before the fresh water was empty. Now I know the gauge for fresh water is not accurate as it read a 1/4 tank. I opened the fresh water drain and nothing came out so I closed it put some water in the tank and like magic the pump built up pressure and shut off. Feel kinda dumb now for even posting this. But I still need to get some filters.

Hey, that's the best kind of fix there is! Give yourself a dope slap, and party on.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Lowes and He Depot have large full house cannisters that will take the right fittings for a hose. The 10 inch long same length as the smaller canisters, can take those filters but also much larger diameter. the one at Lowe's Westinghouse has a clear lower housing . The GE at Home depot is not clear but has a remote that tells you when the filter needs to be changed. The 25 micron large filter at Lowes get most everything including nasties and will hod a lot of sediment. Then you smaller micron filter will not stop up as much. Better still is two of the large housings with a sediment filter an the secondary the .5 micron. Lowes did not have the smaller micron in stock. Looks like ordering on line is the answer.
Don't get distracted by the myrid of offerings on the Internet. Trouble is findign stand for the big/huge filter houings or maybe mounting in the RV.
Just one big housing and fien micron filter will probably last quite a while unless, like us you wash clothes shower twice a day, sometimes, and so on.
We have a couple of the .5 micron ceramic filters and in South Ga and La they both stopped up with sulfur and iron and other things and refused to be cleaned.
We spend good bit of time, in Michigan, and well water at many RV parks would stop up a filter in two days if the campground was full with dirt sediment and in farm country all the fertilizers and pesticides in the water. So a good filter system and spare cartridges are a great idea. The better/finer the filtration the faster they will stop up doing their job, apples to apples.
Those in line filters, well they are making them larger but still two weeks ago at the campground in southern Michigan, neighbor had one and it stopped up and every time he turned on the tap it flushed dirt out of the filter and into the rv.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the subject of filters. The best to filter your drinking water would be the 0.5 micron filter. The drawback to using a filter that filters out particles that small is that they present a lot of restriction to the flow. You won't be able to use a filter like that to filter all your water for that reason. Any charcoal filter will remove smells and bad tastes from the water but they let the bugs (that the 0.5 micron filter prevents) come through. They work well as a prefilter to make your better filter last longer. Figure out what you want your filter to remove and then find a cartridge that meets those needs.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your fresh water tank must be smaller than the ones on previous rv's. Ours always runs out way before we could fill the gray and black tanks.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 34' Expedition specs show 86 gallon fresh water tank and 50 gallon each black/grey
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
n 05 perhaps it is the pressure switch. Our 05 went that way in 2014 plus I think check valve. Housing and motor are fine but they won't sell me the parts to fix it. Have to send it in 69.00 to fix 69.00 for postage. New one 149.00 from factory installed for free at a Rally where they were.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
We have a trip planned for the end of July for 6 days dry camping we are going to have to do better with water conservation. They do have a guy that comes by for a fee and he empty's the sewer and fills with fresh water. Looks like I will need him every couple days. We are going to Dune Fest with our ATV's & UTV it is a blast anyone on here going? It is at Winchester Bay Oregon July 23rd thru the 28th.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally there are only two things that cause the pump to run continuously. A bad water pump or a leak in the system. Only way to trouble shoot it is to trace all the lines. I'd start with a tank at least half full. Since you just replaced the water filter, I'd start there. Often that O ring doesn't get sealed properly and it allows water to bypass..happy hunting....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Along with what been said pump switch or pump, plus we use a double filter, 10 or 5 and a charcoal for taste.

MrWizard
Bad pressure switch on pump ?
Filter not tight, leaked water, tank empty ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
If the valve is not shifted from shore water the water pump will continue to run. Check you main input valve and make sure that it is not on shore water.

I will check it but it worked good for the first day I will make sure it is fully closed.

Thanks I need things to check.