Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Traveling without a car
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Traveling without a car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
kknowlton

southeast Idaho, formerly IL/WI border

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the kind of campground you stay in, and if you have another alternate form of transportation (one of those adult "tricycles" with a basket could be very helpful). When we had our MH, it was too small to tow a car, and we found it a royal pain to get set up in camp, only to need groceries or firewood, then have to undo everything to go get those things we needed. If you tend to camp in well-provisioned RV parks, you may find this less of an issue, but we leaned toward state and national parks, and ended up switching to trailers over the years since, partly for that reason.

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kknowlton wrote:

If you tend to camp in well-provisioned RV parks, you may find this less of an issue

I'm wondering where these are.

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stargirl96 wrote:

I just had some inspiration! We could plan our trip to go by a nearby RV repair place, pay someone $20 or so to help us hook up our toad, then be on our merry way. At our destination we can disconnect ourselves. When it's time to go, we can probably find someone (park employee or friendly camper) to help us connect again, give them a little spending money or some beer and then off we go! Wash and repeat! Do you think this will work?

Maybe if you tell us why you have difficulty hooking up your toad someone may have an idea that works for you.

The problem with finding an employee of the park would be the liability factor, there is just to many people that are sue happy if something goes wrong.

The happy camper next door is likely going to do the job without thinking of the liability, but then some may have been burned before.

Expyinflight

Mesa, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't tow a car, and have no desire to. Have just returned from a 5,000 mile, 14 state trip. Not towing a car is not much of a sacrifice....if you are organized and plan ahead.
Just like at home, we seldom eat our meals out....and stock the pantry/refrigerator accordingly, for several days at a time. We keep a running list of anything we may run out of or need, and can stop at any Walmart, grocery store, etc...along the way. No problem.
As for sight seeing...you can often get a satellite view on your phone, ipad, computer...of anywhere...to see if there is suitable RV parking. We have no problem walking, when required. Or, at places we plan to stay a few days to check out the area or things of interest...we rent a car for 2 or 3 days or longer.
We just find ways to make it work. It can be done.

And to the OP...we were just in Weatherford for the night 2 weeks ago, for the second time. Love the Wanderlust RV park there.

2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

stargirl96

Weatherford, OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the Wanderlust park is great! Next time you're in Weatherford stop by the Gen. Thomas Stafford Air and Space Museum.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I couldn’t imagine traveling without a car.
No need to wonder how to see the sights and where to park a MH.
Always have your own car to do when and what you want.
You always have a back up IF something happens to the MH.

There are just to many pluses to have a toad than to not have one. And this is not meant o bash, but if a person cannot hookup a towbar then they should not be driving a 15,000lb plus RV! This is just my opinion and maybe it will come back and bite me in 20 years, but that’s what I think!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Expyinflight

Mesa, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At almost 64, I am still perfectly capable of hooking up a towbar to a motorhome. Did it quite a lot during a full time adventure for 8 years, in two different Class A rigs. A car was a definite advantage then.

Today...downsizing wins the day so just don't care to tow anything any longer. I can assure you, it is not the end of the world. We are quite happy with the current arrangement.

Who knows? That may change in the future.

sempka

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stargirl96 wrote:

Yes, the Wanderlust park is great! Next time you're in Weatherford stop by the Gen. Thomas Stafford Air and Space Museum.

Great museum. Lots to see..

2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stargirl96 wrote:

I just had some inspiration! We could plan our trip to go by a nearby RV repair place, pay someone $20 or so to help us hook up our toad, then be on our merry way. At our destination we can disconnect ourselves. When it's time to go, we can probably find someone (park employee or friendly camper) to help us connect again, give them a little spending money or some beer and then off we go! Wash and repeat! Do you think this will work?

I think its a good idea. Plenty of good folks still around.

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use to follow a gal who had a Toadless Blog and she had great hints on going toadless. We have never had a toad, but we drive a Class B so haven't needed one.

Our Road Less Traveled

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Traveling without a car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS