cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Entry level trailer what qualifies.

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
I always hear the term "entry level" when folks talk about travel trailer. What makes/qualifies a trailer as entry level? Or is it just matter of brand's or a model within each brand, features or lack there of?
12 REPLIES 12

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't matter if it's an entry level or upscale fiberglass model, they can both have quality issues to deal with, minor to major.

Our first TT was a small aluminum sided unit with no slide and basic features and would have been considered entry level. Only issue was a problem with the brakes that the dealer eventually fixed. Our current TT is in the upscale category and has had plenty of issues from day one. Into our 6th season on it and am still finding significant bad factory workmanship issues to deal with.

Wood-framed versus aluminum sided TTs, either can actually be better in some circumstances. Like if the exterior gets damaged, you can replace rows of the metal. Wood framing is much more forgiving on rough roads - aluminum framing can have failed welds in comparison like we did below. If you camp a lot in cold weather and fail to remove moisture in the air, or have a leak on the exterior, you can end up with rotted wood framing or fiberglass delamination. Take your pick.

"Entry level" is like a starter home. Smaller, minimal features and lower cost. Maybe a single axle only. Some features are def. worth spending money on. Having a slide with sofa and more space was a huge plus for us.

Choose wisely, buy once... ๐Ÿ™‚

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can learn a lot about TT by comparing prices.
An entry level trailer is almost always stick and tin, has few built ins, less storage, poor venting of heat and AC, fewer speakers, poorer finish materials, like floors, fabrics and wood. More vinyl and pressed board.

It is useful to go to RV shows and look at a lot of trailers and compare the asking prices. AFter awhile you can spot an entry level trailer easily.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Entry level to me means bare bones and very lite weight. I remember looking at the cheapest TT built and they had no bed supports or hinges, just a piece of plywood with a support to keep it from sagging and sliding off. The drawers would slide on the wood frame. Very limited windows and no tint. They offer the smallest tires/axle they could put underneath it. As far as how itโ€™s built, stick and Tim or fiberglass both can be entry level.

You can tell an entry level the minute you walk into one. We had an 07 Cherokee TT and I considered that a mid level trailer. Had nice roller drawer slides. Under bed storage had lift supports and a hinge. Built in water filter. Just lots of little things that most people wonโ€™t notice. Even some bunks are only able to support 100lbs! While others are 250!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Varmintmist
Explorer
Explorer
frisbeekev wrote:
I always hear the term "entry level" when folks talk about travel trailer. What makes/qualifies a trailer as entry level? Or is it just matter of brand's or a model within each brand, features or lack there of?

The size of your wallet
Always cross your chains and grease your balls
07 F250
2019 Surveyor 27'

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
frisbeekev wrote:

Generally you could probably say a 'tin & stick' travel trailer would qualify as entry level. As a rule, fewer bells and whistles compared to hard sided trailers.

"Tin and stick" (aluminum siding and wood studs) does not define entry level. There are still some mid-level TT that use this construction.

No slide out is entry level. No or very limited "entertainment center". Cheap/thin mattresses. Thin/flexible plywood under the mattress. No "shielding" under the belly. No oven, small microwave, small refrigerator.

The funny thing is, those can all be upgraded for a few hundred dollars (manufacturers cost) and suddenly the price jumps by $5,000 or $10,000 !

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of like a Chevrolet Cruze is more of a entry vehicle compared to a Cadillac CTS-V top of the line. It's not a derogatory term.

The RV industry has several build tiers entry, mid-level, premium. Just like Ford trucks has XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum.

Different upgrades in each tier. Just like the car industry different mfg compete with each tier with a offering.

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Entry Level" = used by some people as a way to talk down to other people.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with CFerguson - our entry level was 5 trailers ago - a 17' Kit Sportsmaster with corner bed. It was our first and it was the Taj Majal per say. It was the only one we bought used and it was in great shape. It helped us determine what we really needed (and wanted) after having it a couple of years. Twenty years later we are in a 35' FW with all the bells and whistles.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
I think most people are referring to price. One person's entry level might be another's ultimate rv.

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
Just like there are starter homes there are starter (entry level) trailers & RVs of all types.

These would be RVs that are lower cost, have fewer amenities and usually lower quality construction and materials. For example formica counter tops instead of stone or corian. Cabinets made out of luan or pressboard instead of hard wood. Very basic interiors.

If these entry level RVs are well maintained you can still expect many years of trouble free camping.

I tend to agree with the points above, especially the lower quality materials more so over the amenities, especially if you are using it for recreation vs full time living. I would also toss out there small "space". no slide vs single , vs double, etc.

I do consider my 2018 Starcraft Satellite entry level more so because of the materials such as the "plush" matteress (queen size nonetheless) being made entirely from batting type materials and pressed board cabinets than for not having washer/dryer or dishwasher. I do like it has a dry bath!

Since it's just for recreation, i'm fine with not having those - and at some point, i'll upgrade to a one with better materials, more space and amenities.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Just like there are starter homes there are starter (entry level) trailers & RVs of all types.

These would be RVs that are lower cost, have fewer amenities and usually lower quality construction and materials. For example formica counter tops instead of stone or corian. Cabinets made out of luan or pressboard instead of hard wood. Very basic interiors.

If these entry level RVs are well maintained you can still expect many years of trouble free camping.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
frisbeekev wrote:

Generally you could probably say a 'tin & stick' travel trailer would qualify as entry level. As a rule, fewer bells and whistles compared to hard sided trailers.