cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-70 west

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready for trip from Pa to Colorado and would like any info on road condition of I-70,especially thru Indiana.Last trip 2 years ago I never was on a worst road than in I-70 Indiana.I took I-80 on return trip and it was almost as bad.Would Rt 36 be a better option,towing a 40 foot 5th wheel?
16 REPLIES 16

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just drove I-70 from Indy to Cambride, OH, today. While not quite as rough as prior years, it is still pretty bad. Indiana is worse than OH, but there are plenty of rough spots in OH.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
Depending on where you are starting from in PA, consider dropping South to I-68 and I-64 to Saint Louis. They are usually in much better condition than I-70 and less traffic. West of Saint Louis we use US-36 or US-50. Both are good highways with interesting small towns to visit along the way. Both have enough campgrounds. RV parks along the way. Several small towns have city parks that allow overnights and some even have hookups. There are also county parks and fairgrounds that have facilities for overnight stops.

I64 is a better road than 70 but fuel stops are fewer and far between.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where you are starting from in PA, consider dropping South to I-68 and I-64 to Saint Louis. They are usually in much better condition than I-70 and less traffic. West of Saint Louis we use US-36 or US-50. Both are good highways with interesting small towns to visit along the way. Both have enough campgrounds. RV parks along the way. Several small towns have city parks that allow overnights and some even have hookups. There are also county parks and fairgrounds that have facilities for overnight stops.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
RGar974417 wrote:
I agree with Rt 36. It is better than I 70 and there are 2 nice Missouri State Parks along the way. We stayed at Pershing State Park 3 years ago. Paid $22 a night with electric.

...and in Kansas, there are 2 State Parks of interest along US 36. There's Lovewell Lake SP about 18 miles north of the highway near Mankato KS, and Prairie Dog SP is outside of Norton, KS to the south of US 36. I'm planning on staying at Lovewell heading east, and will likely stay at Prairie Dog coming back west.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another fan of 36 here. Made the trip back & forth from MD many times & got on rt36 ASAP.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Rt 36. It is better than I 70 and there are 2 nice Missouri State Parks along the way. We stayed at Pershing State Park 3 years ago. Paid $22 a night with electric.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary O wrote:
Getting ready for trip from Pa to Colorado and would like any info on road condition of I-70,especially thru Indiana.Last trip 2 years ago I never was on a worst road than in I-70 Indiana.I took I-80 on return trip and it was almost as bad.Would Rt 36 be a better option,towing a 40 foot 5th wheel?

I can give you some pointers for the bulk of your trip, as I'm doing it in reverse in about 3 weeks.

Get yourself to Fort Wayne, IN from PA by whatever route works for you. From Fort Wayne, take US 24 west to I-57. South on I-57 to I-72. I-72 west becomes US 36 at Hannibal, MO. US 36 across MO is 4 lane all the way across and is a very good roadway. When you get to St. Joseph, MO, you'll continue on US 36, but it becomes 2 lanes at that point. Not to worry, it's a good 2 lane roadway, with small towns every 30-40 miles; further in between as you get further west. Stay on US 36 all the way in to Colorado where it merges with I-70 in the Bennett area outside of Denver. I-70 is not bad at this point; however, as you get into Denver, there's major construction going on in the area as it approaches I-25. May not be a problem, depending on your destination.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
We took 70 in the first part of May. It about beat us death. You might be better taking I-10 than that thing.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
caver wrote:
The traffic on I70 between St Louis and Kansas City is just bad. Lots of truck traffic and quite a bit only two lanes.

If I'm making that trip for pleasure, and sometimes working I prefer US 50.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
The traffic on I70 between St Louis and Kansas City is just bad. Lots of truck traffic and quite a bit only two lanes.

Gary_O
Explorer
Explorer
On last trip I took I-80 west to I-76 in Ohio then I-71 south to I-70 west.Now looking at rt 36 or rt 40.Retired so not in any hurry.Are their many truck stops or fuel stations on rt 36 and rt 40 with easy access with 5th wheel?

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Based on where Beech Creek is I'm not sure where you will be getting on I-70 to head west but if you come through Washington PA there is major construction that causes backups.

The construction heading west starts right after the 84 Pa exit and ends at the Route 19 exit. They have two lanes open but the lanes are narrow and have the concrete barriors on each side. Friday evenings are the worst but sometimes when they move equipment from one side to another it comes to a complete stop.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
I drove 70 from AZ back to PA in April. I said the same thing I-70 through Indiana was the WORST highway I've been on in a long time. And I was on a lot of rough desert BLM roads in AZ for the winter.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Gary O wrote:

We generally will get on RT 36 at Hannibal and stay on it into Colorado where the roads are not that good (Get spoiled on the Great part of RT 36) While the I's require you to slow down to save the vehicle they still are the only option east of the Mississippi - JMHO.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach