Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I asked for trouble and I got it.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> I asked for trouble and I got it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No way I would pay 2k to replace a fuel line and a fuel pump. And the suspension components to that price and it gets a little more agreeable.

And the fact that he didn’t diagnose the brake lines which was a common issue for those vehicles makes me even more suspect.

Second opinion is recommended.

Thanks!

Car Camper-Transport Vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Tahoe
Eureka Timberline 4
Favorite Brands:
Coleman, REI, Ozark Trail, and misc. Yard Sale finds

Family time is the best time!

~It’s kind of fun to do the impossible~
- Walt Disney-

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtofell1 wrote:

I ultimately got rid of my 06 Chevy 2500 because of all the nickel and dime repairs. The Duramax diesel engine and allison tranny were great but it seems like every other oil change there was $1000+ in repairs to suspension parts, hubs and junk like that. At 15+ years old I'd have a hard time putting that much money into a vehicle. Once you fix one set of problems something else is going to start having problems. I bought a new truck in 2014 and haven't spent a dime on anything other than routine maintenance.

Different scenario being from Oregon than the OP's. Nickels are nickels, but he's dealing with the parts wearing out AND rust destroying parts that would last 40 years here. (Unless you live in the mountains)

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are any of these what you need?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/gmc,2004,sierra+2500,6.0l+v8,1425226,fuel+&+air

dugwms

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, the job isn't as bad as you might think. I replaced fuel and brake lines on ours and I had no experience doing that kind of thing. Take your time and study up beforehand. Brake lines were harder than fuel lines. Fuel pump isnt hard. Ours was an 02.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should check with a GM dealer as some fuel line issues are covered by an extended warranty that GM put in place as the result of the danger of a failure. Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The shop may be quoting price for an OEM part. If you prefer a cheaper part from an auto parts store, ask the shop if they will do that to save you some money. Often they have more than one source, and flexibility.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

I think you should check with a GM dealer as some fuel line issues are covered by an extended warranty that GM put in place as the result of the danger of a failure. Chris

Extended for 15 years for a rust problem? Seems like a huge stretch to me.

OP - if the repairs are out of your skill set, then you really have only two choices. Research youTube and give it a shot yourself, or pay the piper.

That is a lot of repairs for a 15+ year old truck. Im with those who say show me the rusted fuel line. It may very well be, but I'd have to see it first hand before I paid someone to do that.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/19 12:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If reliability far from home is your goal, an older truck with an increasing number of replacement parts is likely not going to deliver that. Few mechanics are capable or caring enough to install to factory standards. And aftermarket parts? A total crapshoot.

I maintain some older vehicles myself. But with my own labor and OEM parts.

Rust never sleeps. If it's to the point of control arms and lines, better get a second opinion. Pretty soon you'll be into sunk costs and telling yourself you can't quit now.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, there will be a warning. It's called a fire.
If you haven't had the brake lines replaced yet I'm wondering if the shop doesn't know the difference between fuel and brake lines. The fuel pump sending units were known to rust at the top of the tank, but I've never seen fuel lines in that model rusting before brake lines.
Your own eyes or a buddy are your best next move.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do it. Call around for prices, but do it. I just drove home with my family in a rental car because my rear axle bearing failed while the trailer was on and ruined the axle housing $$$. Now I will have to drive back when they finish the truck get the trailer and drag it home. In my case an ounce of prevention would have been worth a bunch of pounds of cure.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> I asked for trouble and I got it.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS