cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV electrical

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Plugged in power cord. Everything worked for about 5 minutes then everything quit except microwave. I forgot I had the battery disconnected. After connecting the battery everything worked fine.

Question: Why did everything work when first plugged in but quit five minutes later? If the battery is needed to run DC why did everything work for 5 minutes without battery? Signs of a bad converter?

Thoughts would be appreciated.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK
4 REPLIES 4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree you may have a blown fuse or a failed converter.. With the exception of the microwave and SOME air conditioners and the Television nearly everything in an RV needs `12 volts. MOst A/C's (Wall mount T-stats or IR Remote T-controls need 12 volts.. Water heater. fridge, frunace. lights. fans evcen some TV's are all 12 volt. or need 12 volt for control power. No 12 V they shut off.

Also check the 120 volt breakers Look for one marked CONV (If they marked it consider yourself lucky)

And with the rig UNPLUGGED operating by 12 volt and/or flashlight check the wires in the breaker box for loose screws.. Many have 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the battery voltage right on the terminals?
What is the DC voltage in the fuse panel?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dunno.. I've got a 16 year old TT that runs just fine without a battery and just plugged in. When plugged in and no battery, I don't leave the power on 24/7.. Just as I need power to the trailer for whatever I need power for at the time while it's being stored.

My batteries tend to grow legs and walk away if I leave it on the trailer, and it's parked next to my house.. I even have a video camera on it, but since I don't check to see if the battery is there or not every day... Hard to pin point when the legs grew??

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe a fuse blew in the converter? I would check to see if it's still charging the battery or if you're now running on just the battery.