cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new tires

txmerlin
Explorer
Explorer
Need to replace the 5 year old tires on my TT and need some advice about upgrading. The trailer is 38 feet and has a GVWR of #9975 and currently has Load Range D tires from the trailer manufacturer. I want to upgrade to Load Range E for a little extra comfort level (no extra weight) but do not know if the rims are suitable for the additional pressure. I pulled a tire and looked on the back of the rim for some sort of psi marking, but nothing that simple to be found. The rim has 5 spokes and these are what what on the spokes:
1) Tire max load #2150
2) Tire max load #2830
3) A960 15x6J
4) 5H-1143 and 6H-1397
5) Made in Taiwan
Around the center ring there were several QA stamps and the letters DOT-T ET0

I have tried researching the numbers on the 4th spoke and found nothing related to rims. I am a little confused as to why the rim would have 2 Tire max load markings.

Any advice on these rims or do I need to bite the bullet and get some new rims to go with the tires?

Thanks in advance
Ken
11 REPLIES 11

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear Endurance - Made in USA - For that size, they will be a Load E so you will have plenty of extra margin.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If rims are 6-lug, I'd make a guess they're rated for 80 psi. You probably won't find a psi rating stamped on the rims, but possibly a max. load rating that corresponds with LRE and thus 80 psi. I just had our 6-lug alloy wheels off to do a bearing repack. Rims are made by Sendel and marked 2830 psi. There's a model number on them that I looked up on Sendel's website and confirmed they're 80 psi.

Without doing the math, I would guess that the ST LRD tires had a rather low reserve load capacity and that LRE would be the right tire to use. I'd also guess that the dual axles are rated 5200 or 6000 lbs with that GVWR, and not the common 3500 lb axles on lighter trailers. I think that's another indication that the rims would be 80 psi rated. You want at least 15% reserve load capacity on ST tires and the new tires will be somewhat higher than that.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
DownTheAvenue wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
I converted my 15" STs to 16" LTs a while back, and that involved putting a 2" lift onto the suspension. I bought a set of LT rims and E rated tires from a guy who said that even though the rims were stamped "65 psi max" he ran them at 80 psi no problem.

The clearcoat is peeling off these rims and they look awful, so this time around I bought new wheels and the PSI rating says "Limited to valve stem". The weight rating is more than enough to handle an E tire, and the valve stem for the TPMS I use is rated at 100 psi.

Here is the same rim in a 15" that says the same for PSI rating. If you don't want to go to LTs, then I would upgrade the rims and get the best E-rated ST tire you can find.

This is the best advice. Upgrade to 16" wheels and put on "LT" tires and never again worry about your trailer tires.

Or if a guy isn't into spending a bunch of money to bulletproof something that may not need bulletproofed.

Slap some new E rated 225s on it. GY Endurance are the new high end tire and have good reviews for durability.
I've had a couple different sets of Kenda Karriers now that are closer to bargain priced end of the spectrum and they've held up well so far. One set is about 4 years old now I believe.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Almost all TT/5er rims are load rated to coincide with ST tire load ratings.
2830 lbs is the load compatible rating with 225/75/15 E rated tires.

https://www.tredittire.com/tire/goodyear-endurance/

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
I converted my 15" STs to 16" LTs a while back, and that involved putting a 2" lift onto the suspension. I bought a set of LT rims and E rated tires from a guy who said that even though the rims were stamped "65 psi max" he ran them at 80 psi no problem.

The clearcoat is peeling off these rims and they look awful, so this time around I bought new wheels and the PSI rating says "Limited to valve stem". The weight rating is more than enough to handle an E tire, and the valve stem for the TPMS I use is rated at 100 psi.

Here is the same rim in a 15" that says the same for PSI rating. If you don't want to go to LTs, then I would upgrade the rims and get the best E-rated ST tire you can find.

This is the best advice. Upgrade to 16" wheels and put on "LT" tires and never again worry about your trailer tires.

txmerlin
Explorer
Explorer
The wheels are cast aluminum with only a 6 lug pattern. The tires are ST 225/70R-15 load range D. The lines I posted above are cast into the back side of the spokes. I have continued looking and have found a chart that references the lower of the 2 tire max weights as load range C @ 50 psi. I have also seen references to the upper weight as load range E @ 80 psi. Is there a reason why they put both on the wheel? Is it a from/to rating? I did go to the local Discount Tire and all that kid could do is punch numbers into a computer. The choices around here for tires are Discount Tire, Wal-Mart and Firestone.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
txmerlin wrote:
Need to replace the 5 year old tires on my TT and need some advice about upgrading. The trailer is 38 feet and has a GVWR of #9975 and currently has Load Range D tires from the trailer manufacturer. I want to upgrade to Load Range E for a little extra comfort level (no extra weight) but do not know if the rims are suitable for the additional pressure. I pulled a tire and looked on the back of the rim for some sort of psi marking, but nothing that simple to be found. The rim has 5 spokes and these are what what on the spokes:
1) Tire max load #2150
2) Tire max load #2830
3) A960 15x6J
4) 5H-1143 and 6H-1397
5) Made in Taiwan
Around the center ring there were several QA stamps and the letters DOT-T ET0

I have tried researching the numbers on the 4th spoke and found nothing related to rims. I am a little confused as to why the rim would have 2 Tire max load markings.

Any advice on these rims or do I need to bite the bullet and get some new rims to go with the tires?

Thanks in advance
Ken

Are the wheels stamped steel wheels, or aluminum alloy wheels?

Do these wheels, by strange chance, have two different sets of lug holes. One set being five lug, and a larger diameter 6 lug set?

It would help to tell us what size the tires are. It will be clearly marked on the tire, something like ST225/75R15

Did you find the tire max load markings on the TIRE or the WHEEL? As far as the two different loads marked on the tire, read closely, one, the higher number is for single wheel use, and the other is for dual wheel use (two wheels on the same spindle, just like the duals on the rear of a truck). Never seen or heard of two different ratings on wheels, possibly for single vs tandem axles? but again, never heard of such thing.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
A960 15x6J

Those numbers mean something. Many years ago, when I was upgrading from C to Ds, I found the chart online. I cannot remember the specifics, but I believe the number of "Js" matter on the PSI.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Simple ...good year endurance in your size...usa made.love mine
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
What I did when I moved up from D's to E's was take all the numbers that were stamped on the rims into Discount Tire and let them advise me on that very question.....as a second opinion I took them into Les Schwab.

Both said that they would not mount any tires on rims not rated to handle the max pressure of that tire.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro