Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Need new tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Need new tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
txmerlin

Pflugerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/19 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need to replace the 5 year old tires on my TT and need some advice about upgrading. The trailer is 38 feet and has a GVWR of #9975 and currently has Load Range D tires from the trailer manufacturer. I want to upgrade to Load Range E for a little extra comfort level (no extra weight) but do not know if the rims are suitable for the additional pressure. I pulled a tire and looked on the back of the rim for some sort of psi marking, but nothing that simple to be found. The rim has 5 spokes and these are what what on the spokes:
1) Tire max load #2150
2) Tire max load #2830
3) A960 15x6J
4) 5H-1143 and 6H-1397
5) Made in Taiwan
Around the center ring there were several QA stamps and the letters DOT-T ET0

I have tried researching the numbers on the 4th spoke and found nothing related to rims. I am a little confused as to why the rim would have 2 Tire max load markings.

Any advice on these rims or do I need to bite the bullet and get some new rims to go with the tires?

Thanks in advance
Ken

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/29/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I did when I moved up from D's to E's was take all the numbers that were stamped on the rims into Discount Tire and let them advise me on that very question.....as a second opinion I took them into Les Schwab.

Both said that they would not mount any tires on rims not rated to handle the max pressure of that tire.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

harley4275

Belle River, On

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple ...good year endurance in your size...usa made.love mine

2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A960 15x6J

Those numbers mean something. Many years ago, when I was upgrading from C to Ds, I found the chart online. I cannot remember the specifics, but I believe the number of "Js" matter on the PSI.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I converted my 15" STs to 16" LTs a while back, and that involved putting a 2" lift onto the suspension. I bought a set of LT rims and E rated tires from a guy who said that even though the rims were stamped "65 psi max" he ran them at 80 psi no problem.

The clearcoat is peeling off these rims and they look awful, so this time around I bought new wheels and the PSI rating says "Limited to valve stem". The weight rating is more than enough to handle an E tire, and the valve stem for the TPMS I use is rated at 100 psi.

Here is the same rim in a 15" that says the same for PSI rating. If you don't want to go to LTs, then I would upgrade the rims and get the best E-rated ST tire you can find.

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

txmerlin wrote:

Need to replace the 5 year old tires on my TT and need some advice about upgrading. The trailer is 38 feet and has a GVWR of #9975 and currently has Load Range D tires from the trailer manufacturer. I want to upgrade to Load Range E for a little extra comfort level (no extra weight) but do not know if the rims are suitable for the additional pressure. I pulled a tire and looked on the back of the rim for some sort of psi marking, but nothing that simple to be found. The rim has 5 spokes and these are what what on the spokes:
1) Tire max load #2150
2) Tire max load #2830
3) A960 15x6J
4) 5H-1143 and 6H-1397
5) Made in Taiwan
Around the center ring there were several QA stamps and the letters DOT-T ET0

I have tried researching the numbers on the 4th spoke and found nothing related to rims. I am a little confused as to why the rim would have 2 Tire max load markings.

Any advice on these rims or do I need to bite the bullet and get some new rims to go with the tires?

Thanks in advance
Ken

Are the wheels stamped steel wheels, or aluminum alloy wheels?

Do these wheels, by strange chance, have two different sets of lug holes. One set being five lug, and a larger diameter 6 lug set?

It would help to tell us what size the tires are. It will be clearly marked on the tire, something like ST225/75R15

Did you find the tire max load markings on the TIRE or the WHEEL? As far as the two different loads marked on the tire, read closely, one, the higher number is for single wheel use, and the other is for dual wheel use (two wheels on the same spindle, just like the duals on the rear of a truck). Never seen or heard of two different ratings on wheels, possibly for single vs tandem axles? but again, never heard of such thing.

Charles

txmerlin

Pflugerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wheels are cast aluminum with only a 6 lug pattern. The tires are ST 225/70R-15 load range D. The lines I posted above are cast into the back side of the spokes. I have continued looking and have found a chart that references the lower of the 2 tire max weights as load range C @ 50 psi. I have also seen references to the upper weight as load range E @ 80 psi. Is there a reason why they put both on the wheel? Is it a from/to rating? I did go to the local Discount Tire and all that kid could do is punch numbers into a computer. The choices around here for tires are Discount Tire, Wal-Mart and Firestone.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

I converted my 15" STs to 16" LTs a while back, and that involved putting a 2" lift onto the suspension. I bought a set of LT rims and E rated tires from a guy who said that even though the rims were stamped "65 psi max" he ran them at 80 psi no problem.

The clearcoat is peeling off these rims and they look awful, so this time around I bought new wheels and the PSI rating says "Limited to valve stem". The weight rating is more than enough to handle an E tire, and the valve stem for the TPMS I use is rated at 100 psi.

Here is the same rim in a 15" that says the same for PSI rating. If you don't want to go to LTs, then I would upgrade the rims and get the best E-rated ST tire you can find.

This is the best advice. Upgrade to 16" wheels and put on "LT" tires and never again worry about your trailer tires.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost all TT/5er rims are load rated to coincide with ST tire load ratings.
2830 lbs is the load compatible rating with 225/75/15 E rated tires.

https://www.tredittire.com/tire/goodyear-endurance/

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

This is the best advice. Upgrade to 16" wheels and put on "LT" tires and never again worry about your trailer tires.

Or if a guy isn't into spending a bunch of money to bulletproof something that may not need bulletproofed.

Slap some new E rated 225s on it. GY Endurance are the new high end tire and have good reviews for durability.
I've had a couple different sets of Kenda Karriers now that are closer to bargain priced end of the spectrum and they've held up well so far. One set is about 4 years old now I believe.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Need new tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS