cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

using a 2012 ridgeline for towing

VincentL
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2019 R-POD 119 and planning on using my 2012 ridgeline to tow it. Has anyone else using their ridgeline for towing a TT. Would appreciate all responses...Thank You
13 REPLIES 13

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
True ^^^^^a Ridgeline does not equal many of todays 1/2 T trucks, but in this case, what the OP is asking, is doable.

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Dump the Ridgeline. Yes, Ralph has always been a funny guy, and often used sarcasm in his posts to keep the weight cops at bay.

Jerry

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Whatโ€™s a ridgeline in the realm of 1/2 ton 150/ 1500 series. That whatever pickup is a 1/4 ton or less 75/750 series boat hauler.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on what they are doing, I never chastise anyone for towing with a 1/2 ton. On the other hand, I prefer to not tow anything with less than the 3/4 ton that I have. I prefer the stability, brakes, etc over the typical 1/2 ton. There is more to it than that. What all the OEM's have done to their 1/2 tons has made all of them undesirable to me. That is all brands.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
okhmbldr wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Dump the Ridgeline.

It's unsafe in that situation and will be putting everyone and their families at risk on the road. Get a 1 ton dually with a Cummins Powertoke Max diesel, get some airbags and a Hensley. Make sure you have LT tires on the truck and trailer or better yet see if you can get some military spec bulletproof ones. Take the whole shebang over to a Cat scale and weigh it every way you can think of.

OK folks, I found this to be very humorous. Every time someone posts a thread with a 1/2 ton pulling anything.....there is always someone who chastises the poster for even thinking of pulling anything with a 1/2 ton pickup.
So I thought it was funny.

Sarcasm is usually followed by the :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Dump the Ridgeline.

It's unsafe in that situation and will be putting everyone and their families at risk on the road. Get a 1 ton dually with a Cummins Powertoke Max diesel, get some airbags and a Hensley. Make sure you have LT tires on the truck and trailer or better yet see if you can get some military spec bulletproof ones. Take the whole shebang over to a Cat scale and weigh it every way you can think of.

OK folks, I found this to be very humorous. Every time someone posts a thread with a 1/2 ton pulling anything.....there is always someone who chastises the poster for even thinking of pulling anything with a 1/2 ton pickup.
So I thought it was funny.

VincentL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for their info except BillyBob Jim. I'm sorry I really did not see the humor in that reply. But the rest was very helpful...VincentL

RollTideCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a ridgeline and I am late seeing this post, but I thought it was really interesting so I had to run numbers for myself.

Assuming you have an AWD ridgeline, and you fill the TT to it's full 4740# limit. You could put 1003# worth of people and cargo in the truck and still be within every weight rating.

Sounds like a pretty good combo

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RedRocket204 wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Dump the Ridgeline.

1 out of 10 for a "witty" sarcastic reply.

X2

In addition in 2012 the Ridgeline had a 5,000# towing capacity. Move our DD from Portland, OR to Bolder, CO. with a U-Haul tandem axle box trailer loaded to 4,600# and three adults and two large dogs. Trailer towed like a dream, only issue was in the blue mountains in eastern Oregon section of I 84 has a 7%+ climb, we were down to about 45. It will do very well towing an R-Pod.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Dump the Ridgeline.

1 out of 10 for a "witty" sarcastic reply.
I love me some land yachting

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Dump the Ridgeline.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a Bullet with a 2008 Ridgeline with out problem. My gross weight was near the max for the Honda and I used a WDH. The combo towed and felt the same as towing with any of the large sedans.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

erke
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my Coachmen Clipper 17fq to my friend that owns the Honda Ridgeline. It tows it easily and it squatted less then my Chevy Silverado did. He doesn't use any WDH as it doesn't recommend using it and it tows without much of any sway at all. As good as my Silverado. My Clipper weighed about 3000lb the way we loaded it. Hope this helps.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I talked to a guy who had an RPOD and a Ridgeline (not sure of the year but it wasn't new) in 2016 and he was happy with the combination.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH