Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How long to return to camping after open heart surgery
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> How long to return to camping after open heart surgery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexicowanderer thanks for your thoughts it has been a slow process for me with a PE and the heart meds screwing up my thyroid but making progress slowly . I wish the best for your upcoming surgery and I hope you have full recovery.
Mike

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 04:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

If haven’t already, have your cardiologist sign you up for Cardiac Rehab, covered by most if not all insurance policies. The actual number of sessions will vary by company. . They put you through a series of exercises to strengthen your heart, about 1/3 the way through the sessions you will feel great and be chomping at the bit to get out there and do what you need/want.

Had quad in ‘97. Since then two of the bypasses need stents, one of them has closed. Went back into rehab in ‘17 and have continued going on my own since.

Best advice. My DH had 3 heart attacks in 98 following a botched heart cath. 1/3 of the heart is dead, what is there pumps 50% what it should. Did cardiac rehab and 7 years later we went full time. He went on total disability has lived well for 20 years. Got sick one winter and has had trouble since. New cardios as the old ones retired or moved on. Just got off the Entresto experiment. The cardio decided he was a good fit. He felt better for a couple weeks till his kidneys shut down. Whoops. One of those little known and rarely mentioned side effects. Gained 31 pounds water weight. Back off the Entresto and back on old meds. Had to add more diuretics, but the weight is coming off and he's getting back to his normal. He's feeling much better and the problems he had that prompted the med change have not returned, so the Entresto may have done some good or perhaps it was the boost in diuretics.

I worry about him constantly, but I am just so happy he is still here. We still full time in our 40' Phaeton DP (15 years now) and I do all the driving. Have since 2009. He has doctored in Houston and Indy where his docs are based, but that will probably change as we look at a more permanent place in Florida. Our son lives there and wants to see his dad more. We sit more when he isn't feeling well, but the rest of the time we are on the move and sightseeing this wonderful country. He has always been able to maintain the "blue" jobs and most people that meet him have no idea of his problems. He does pretty much what he wants, except lifting is a problem sometimes. We share work and responsibilities and we go when we can. Did Alaska in 2013 and had a great time! And fulltiming allows us to stay in warm places year round, which is what he requires.

Affairs are all in order and we have MASA to help us in the event one of us needs medical services anywhere in the world.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Dale your story is an inspiration not only for the rv living part of things but in general thank you for sharing your story
Mike

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike, Terry's first cardiologist thought we should move to across the street from the hospital "in case something would happen." That was 21 years ago. When we asked about going to Alaska (driving up) we didn't tell him, but told his secondary cardio-electrophysiologist. His comment was: Go. If something happens, it happens. If you stay home something could happen. We took a satellite phone, had our MASA and a spot locator to facilitate something getting to us in an emergency.

Everything went without a hitch and we had a great time. The nurse told me too that I myself could get killed crossing a street. . . so no need to think the only problem that might exist is with DH. I want you to know that I always double check now though when crossing the street.LOL And I am very pro-active with my health so that I am strong enough and healthy enough to handle what comes our way.

Dale

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had 5 blocked arteries when I got my surgery. The doctor told me it would be three months before he would release me back to work as a LEO. But then I tore my heart and I never went beck to work. If you go to cardio rehab and exercise in three or four months you should be good for camping. Make sure you have your blood pressure under control and camp close to hospitals for a few more months.

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, 3.73 rear end, tow package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer Hitch.
Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello and thanks again too all of you that replied to this post . I just wanted post a bit of an update in case anyone was following this post . I went on my first camping outing this weekend which was 10 weeks since my triple bypass and PE and all went well . I was fortunate to have my family and wife to do the lifting and helping out with things I felt I wasn’t ready for but I was active and involved and drove the truck to the campground! As for me other than getting tired with six whiny tired grandkids (in the campground but not staying with us lol) it went pretty well and I am now looking forward to our next previously Planed weekend trip! And hope I am ready for our yearly 2 week vacation in September which is not a travel vacation its a stay at one campground vacation ! Thank you all for the advise and encouragement as well as the personal stories some of you shared with me, it was all greatly appreciated and surly helped my recovery , at least my state of mind during a difficult time in my life.
Thanks
Mike

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe this is a question only you can answer

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear you'll be on the road again and getting the best therapy of all. Be well and enjoy!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> How long to return to camping after open heart surgery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.