Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Purchased TT (undisclosed salvage title came in the mail)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Purchased TT (undisclosed salvage title came in the mail)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP:

Ignore the posters that are bashing you.

Bottom line: If your state requires disclosing salvage title and it was not disclosed to you in any of the documents you signed you may have legal recourse, if you wish to pursue it. What was told to you verbally by someone at the dealership doesn't mean anything legally if it wasn't in the contract you signed.

iznab

Amarillo

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a purchase price of 6k for what you describe as a solid trailer why would you worry about resale value. The potential loss of value seems minimal.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m like you. I tend to trust people until they prove me wrong. Not all salesmen are liars. I was in sales for a while and so was my mother. We were both well thought of and had lots of referrals.
I also would be upset to get a salvage title in the mail when not expecting one. If there is no mention of it in the sales contract, I would head on down to the dealership and see what they say. Know the law beforehand and talk reasonably.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sure all of you that told the OP how he screwed up really enjoy getting the same treatment, don’t you?

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love all these perfect people who claim to never make any mistakes.

To OP. If you like the trailer, like the flooplan, and are generally happy with it, just go camping and enjoy.

Don't worry about the resale value. It won't be worth much of anything by the time you think about selling it, and the fact that it has a salvage title won't make a difference to someone buying it for a grand or so.

Just go out and enjoy camping. Come back and tell us about your great adventures.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really have no recourse here but I don't see a big problem anyway.
They told you upfront where they got it.
Just go camp and forget it.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gunninks wrote:

So we purchased a travel trailer (2005 Wildwood LE 25EX) from a dealer that does repairs and has been around many many years. They told me they bought it from an insurance company. It wasn't an overly great deal in my opinion (6k) but is solid all the way around and is exactly what we were looking for to fit our family and current towing vehicle.
Here's the thing. Even brand new TTs can be full of LOTS issues. Potentially even worse than an '05 with a salvage title. Had a day old TT that got replaced under warranty and am still fixing bad workmanship on our TT I'm finding in our 6th season. [emoticon]

Other than what caused the TT to be totaled by the insurance co., the worst thing that can happen to any TT, new or old is water leakage. Could be through the roof, through failed caulking around seams on the walls, overflowing toilet, etc. Checking exterior caulking and seals periodically is kinda like regularly changing oil in an engine. On any 14 year old TT, you won't know how it was looked after overall.

Before losing any more sleep, what I would do at this point is spend a couple hundred $$ and get a reputable independent TV tech. to do an inspection and come up with a report and then go from there. Maybe the insurance co. gave an '05 next to zero market value and it didn't need much money spent on it by the dealer. Could be it's not all that bad. An inspection may come up with things that need attention anyway.

Is this it (ignore the dealer name in the pic)?
[image]

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

Love all these perfect people who claim to never make any mistakes.

Mike

Never claimed that I "perfect" and never made mistakes.

However, I have bought ans sold a lot of stuff from $.50 to $50K, I have made buying and selling mistakes over the yrs, but one thing for sure, I TRY to do something called "due diligence", basically looking up and finding out information on what I am buying or selling.

I trust no one, period..

Ebay used to have a saying which stated "Caveat Emptor" which roughly translates to "BUYER BE AWARE" which is a very wise approach..

Webster definition..

HERE

caveat emptor noun

Definition of caveat emptor

a principle in commerce: without a warranty the buyer takes the risk Caveat emptor is a reasonable approach for many consumer products.

OP and anyone else purchasing stuff should have questioned as to what it meant that the dealer bought it from a insurance company.

Insurance companies simply do not buy RVs to sell, they do not want to own RVs and the ONLY reason they they may own one is because they PAID OFF on an insurance claim..

In other words they BOUGHT the trailer off of the owner since it was deemed not worth REPAIRING and paying the insurance claim for damages or loss (pretty much a "buy back" from the owner).

The insurance company has only two ways to get rid of the unwanted liability.. They can sell back to the owner with a SALVAGED TITLE for scrap value OR AUCTION/SELL the trailer off to a scrap dealer with a SALVAGE OR SCRAP title (depends on the the state you are in, some states prohibit resale with a scrapped title)..

Obviously the dealer the OP bought the trailer from is making a good business from buying scrapped trailers then reselling them..

I am NOT "bashing" the OP, OP simply did not ask what buying from insurance company meant and if that would affect the value..

If you don't understand something, then ASK, BEFORE committing your signature to a sales agreement!

But really, who buys a RV with the worry of resale value.. RVs like boats LOSE value the minute you put your John Hancock on the sales agreement paper with ink..

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

To the OP:

What was told to you verbally by someone at the dealership doesn't mean anything legally if it wasn't in the contract you signed.

Exactly. If it wasn't written down, it didn't happen.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MSchu

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that if the trailer was properly fixed and everything works as it should then $6k really isn't a bad deal. But what I would be concerned with is a dealer that was less than truthful, and how he's going to treat people in the future. I would talk to the dealer, and probably file a BBB complaint just to give other buyers a heads up on his tactics. You could save others from going through the same headache later.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Purchased TT (undisclosed salvage title came in the mail)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS