cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A New Campground WiFi Record

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
>200 Mbps download speed . . . yesterday afternoon it was only hovering around 100 Mbps.

Anyone else seeing speeds like these?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs
23 REPLIES 23

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problem.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
Remember?
No.

Ah, that's right, you were once bitten by a link. Well then, don't click on this one.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
Remember?
No.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Remember?
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right. 300 Baud at first. We fought over the 1200 Naud modem to take home for the night.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
You had 1200 baud? LUXURY!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I am one of those who wonder what normal person could use such speed for.
I am staying at my brother's, who lives in remote location and has not too many choices. He is using internet not only for music and movies, but occasionally he works from home as a programmer.
The average speed he has for his professional use is 2 to 5 MBps
Obviously we always want more, but 2 Mbps does the job.
Than using Wi-FI at several campground too often I have the speed "flying" in the morning only to die at night.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Great signal strength at my current campground, Woodland Park. However, their router is down, once you connect you receive no automatic IP address, or they have a single class C for the network and all the leases are taken. (200+ sites)
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I'm old school I guess. I used to listen to radio plays from BBC at 1/4 dial up speeds on an analog cell phone. That's no longer possible.

And oh by the way--it was unlimited data and never throttled!

About 30 years ago I wrote a "cutting edge" terminal program for my Commodore 64. (All in 6502 machine language no less.) It became quite popular for accessing all the online Bulletin Boards (think Text-Based Internet) of the era . .

The max speed back then was 1200 baud (1.2 kbps). When I got the first ISDN connection in our block at 64 kbps, it was superb! But that was then.

Once in a while I do get nostalgic for those times (414 was my area code too), but in no way is the pull to the past strong enough for me to want slow or slower Internet speeds.

Been there, really been there . . . once was enough, Don.

On the other hand, the C64 is coming back.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Campground WiFi is rarely more than 5 MBs and often slower.

In the past 21 campgrounds I've stayed, WiFi was available in 13 of the 21 campgrounds. In 6 of those 13, the speeds were 5 Mbps or greater.

That's about 30% with speeds > 5 Mbps. More than rarely.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
I still don't understand the need for such speeds. I'm throttled at the moment and so dl is 2.0 mbps and up load is 1.4. I can watch netflix with no buffering.
Not in high-def.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm old school I guess. I used to listen to radio plays from BBC at 1/4 dial up speeds on an analog cell phone. That's no longer possible.

And oh by the way--it was unlimited data and never throttled!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Yes, he is referring to wifi speeds. However I still do not understand the requirement for such speeds.

Of course there is no requirement for 200Mbps, but many RVers have a need for speeds higher than 5Mbps. Lots of RVers are fulltimers that work on the road in an environment that requires exceptional bandwidth to perform their work duties.

Others want to stream in full HD (or even 4K), and often there are two devices streaming at the same time.

Some, have no available internet or OTA television reception at home and depend on cellular for all communication with the world. That's often the case while traveling too.

So for "week-end warriors" that are "camping" and use the internet only to check email, browse a little, and maybe stream Netflix in SD once and a while . . . there is no need for high bandwidth.

For others, the need is real. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a Weboost RV a month or so ago so now do speed tests before and after and WiFi too to see the improvement and decide which is faster.

The one bar scenario w/o the Weboost is often kbs results. Adding the Weboost will jump it to 3-5 MBs. Sometime more. Campground WiFi is rarely more than 5 MBs and often slower.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.