cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satelite Internet

debl
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know where to ask this, so am hoping this works here & is permitted?

My husband likes to go places where there is 'no cell service'... he'd like to start taking me with him, in our travel trailer. I am pretty hooked on webbed surfing, and it would be great to be able to also connect to Netflix, etc. for TV. Which would mean I need unlimited wifi.

The dish set up is less desirable, but possible.

Using in different countries would also be necessary. Any ideas?

Thank you!
22 REPLIES 22

debl
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Obviously the AT&T spammer did not read your "No Cell Service" comment

I do not know if Hughes 70000 is still about (this is not Gen-5)
but it works. A bit slow and ping times are a pain but it works also expensive and data limited on a daily basis.

Via-Sat and Hughes Gen-5 are not really compatible with the RV life though they work and much faster if you do not move.

There is a new one (Star link) I can't tell you much about. IF it is what I think it is it looks promising but just now that's all I can say for sure.

Thanks, You're right, I need something that will have reception out of cell service.
I could live without streaming for netflix, etc. But I like to surf the net.
I think setting up a satelite dish & all the equipment sounds very complicated.
The simple Spot messaging doesn't 'cut it'...
We have LinkStar in Canada, but I don't think it covers other countries.
Will check it out & get back to you on it. 😉

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I've often queried why satellite TV will not pick up sat wifi (I do not know the proper name) for use with streaming?

It seems to me a sat rec is a sat rec and my direct tv should be able to receive phone calls or be used for my computer?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Obviously the AT&T spammer did not read your "No Cell Service" comment

I do not know if Hughes 70000 is still about (this is not Gen-5)
but it works. A bit slow and ping times are a pain but it works also expensive and data limited on a daily basis.

Via-Sat and Hughes Gen-5 are not really compatible with the RV life though they work and much faster if you do not move.

There is a new one (Star link) I can't tell you much about. IF it is what I think it is it looks promising but just now that's all I can say for sure.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
"My husband likes to go places where there is 'no cell service'... he'd like to start taking me with him, in our travel trailer. I am pretty hooked on webbed surfing, and it would be great to be able to also connect to Netflix, etc. for TV. Which would mean I need unlimited wifi."

Am I missing something here? All the mentions of Verizon and other cell plans etc. How will the OP use this if there is NO cell service?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Doesn't Iridium provide IP service as well, using their LEO constellation, throughput is real low that I recall.

it's expensive and as you mention it's really designed more for messaging and low data rate applications, not internet speeds.

It is very very reliable though. Using LEOS sat's rather than GEOS means your chance of connection is very high. I have a Garmin inreach that uses Iridium and outside I have never failed to make a connection and transmit messages. Longest time for success is a few minutes. GEOS means you need a clear view of southern sky.

But Iridium works best outside, inside reception is marginal at best, non existent most of the time.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

debl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! Lots to look into. 🙂

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Go Elon and Starlink!

I hope he puts all the cable and phone companies out of business. But its gonna be a while. Few years at least I'd say.

2 Years and dish/direct TV go under...

:C

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't Iridium provide IP service as well, using their LEO constellation, throughput is real low that I recall.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are basically 3 Sat Internet providers at this time and one more that MAY go live "Any day now" (as they say.. Hopefully within your lifetime is how I translate that)

Verison Designed for fixed installs only you wont be happy

Hughes 70000 Expensive. slow and long "ping times" (Geo sync) this works but .. Well.. I can't say how happy you are. I do not know who handles it anymore.

ViaSat.. This one uses low orbit sats the old Wild Blue set if I'm not mistaken (plus some more) but like WIld Blue it is not really RV-compatible more of a fixed location operaton.

The new one uses a whole lot of smaller swarm type satellites and I'm thinking they are designing for mobile/portable use. It also uses frequencies I am licensed for and thus I am A: informed and B: pissed at having to give up what I am licensed for so they can play. (Kind of like the city coming by and saying We are taking part of your back yard to make a park).

But if it goes live (The issue as far as I know is "B above. seems they forgot to ask permission to steal my spectrum) it may be great.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Google Fi also operates on multiple networks, Sprint, tmo and att iirc.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
FMCA has a $50 a month "unlimited" plan with both Sprint and Verizon, although Sprint is not as good as AT&T. They sell you a hotspot for a penny. The plan is unlimited up to 25 gig then they throttle. Probably won't be good enough for video streaming.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forum member Techwriter has info. on this on his blog here. He also made a post there on internet access comparison via wifi, sat. and Verizon & AT&T in 16 CGs & 3 states here.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Go Elon and Starlink!

I hope he puts all the cable and phone companies out of business. But its gonna be a while. Few years at least I'd say.

For the US, it's an arms race who can deploy faster, 5g / LTE-x or StarLink.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Go Elon and Starlink!