cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Dolly Weight

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
If the car you are towing weighs 4000 pounds how much of that weight is on the dolly?
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
OP, Google will tell you how much weight and % on each axle for your car. Your CRV is 59:41 so with 200 lbs of stuff in it the front axle has 2065 lbs...took less than 2 minutes.

Doesn't the angle of lifting the front axle change the ratio?

Yes it does but itโ€™s very little. You would have to know how much higher and the wheelbase.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
deleted
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
OP, Google will tell you how much weight and % on each axle for your car. Your CRV is 59:41 so with 200 lbs of stuff in it the front axle has 2065 lbs...took less than 2 minutes.

It changes it very little for the angles we're talking about; the center of gravity does move slightly more towards the back axle, but not by much.

If you were to raise the front axle so that the car is vertical, then of course all the weight would be on the back axle (or, more likely, the back bumper). But for a couple of degrees, it's immaterial, and no different than the change due to going up a slight incline.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ivylog wrote:

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

G7ARYM
Explorer
Explorer
This sounds like a question for the maker of the dolly. I know Demco has been helpful the few times I called them. Even if the maker of your dolly is no longer in business the weight numbers are probably close from others.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if you are asking for how much weight a dolly can supoort? As in load rating of the tow dolly axle. If thatโ€™s the case then I would guess youโ€™ll be OK at 2000-2500lbs!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
certainly not the whole 4k. i assume youโ€™re trying to determine the load on the dolly? how much weight can the dolly support? specs? once you know that you could drag it to a scale to weigh it โ€œemptyโ€ then attach the toad and re-weigh. simple math will tell you the load on the dolly. but all of the weight...4k for the toad and whatever the dolly weighs empty counts towards the total amount of weight you can safely tow with the MH.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
The only (1) doc I've ever seen on the topic says figure ROUGHLY 62% of the weight if front-wheel drive, 52% if rear wheel drive.

doc

Of course, ALL the weight still comes into play when towing. You can't expect that you could tow your 4000 lb car on a 3000 capacity hitch just because only 2400 lb are on the dolly 62%). Sir Isaac Newton still rules... inertia is still there when you try to start/stop. And this ignores the weight of the dolly itself.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to say exactly how much as it depends on the vehicle's weight distribution over it's front and rear axles. Typically cars towed on dollies are front wheel drive. Since the entire drive train is over the front wheels more of the weight is going to be on the front axle. Conservative estimate... more than half the weight is going to be on the dolly.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Front engine or rear? Wouldnโ€™t a scale be the best method to determine this?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad