Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Vent under sink cause of smelly trailer?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Vent under sink cause of smelly trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

I never heard of an AAV until this thread started, so no help with that. I Googled to see what they are.

My 2003 5er didn't have any, and my stick house doesn't have any. Sort of reminds me of the dishwasher drain, where you have to leave the sink drain open as a vent for the dishwasher, but not exactly I guess. Learned something new again on this forum!

EDIT- seems they had to amend the plumbing codes a few years ago to allow these AAVs. As alternatives to roof venting, they could be handy for RVs, not just for island sinks.

https://garynsmith.net/venting-101-air-admittance-valve-pros-cons/

In 40 years and still working as a RV tech, I have never really seen a RV Gray Tank drain system from the sinks NOT HAVE a AAV. They are standard. The usual fix besides replacing is to install a ziplock bag over the AAV and secure with a rubber band. That usually fixes the smell problem. Doug

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

I never heard of an AAV until this thread started, so no help with that. I Googled to see what they are.

My 2003 5er didn't have any, and my stick house doesn't have any. Sort of reminds me of the dishwasher drain, where you have to leave the sink drain open as a vent for the dishwasher, but not exactly I guess. Learned something new again on this forum!

EDIT- seems they had to amend the plumbing codes a few years ago to allow these AAVs. As alternatives to roof venting, they could be handy for RVs, not just for island sinks.

https://garynsmith.net/venting-101-air-admittance-valve-pros-cons/

In 40 years and still working as a RV tech, I have never really seen a RV Gray Tank drain system from the sinks NOT HAVE a AAV. They are standard. The usual fix besides replacing is to install a ziplock bag over the AAV and secure with a rubber band. That usually fixes the smell problem. Doug

All I can say is my 2003 Komfort 5er didn't have any that I could tell. Just same sort of plumbing as the stick house. I have done work on the house and the RV plumbing at times.

The 5er had two grey tanks, one for the kitchen (galley) and one for the bathroom tub/shower and sink, each with its own roof vent. I worked on the bathroom sink drain when I changed the sink doing a reno, and also the kitchen sink double drain so I could get underneath its tap I was changing.

I don't see how I could have not noticed any AAVs. Was the same sort of plumbing as in the stick house (roof vented).

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had an AAV at the kitchen sink fail in the first year of owning our TT from new. Replaced it with one from Lowes. It failed shortly afterwards. Then I installed a commercial grade Oatey one and that fixed it for good.

AAVs are required under NFPA standard 1192 which is specifically for RVs. They call it an anti-siphon vent device.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

AAVs are required under NFPA standard 1192 which is specifically for RVs. They call it an anti-siphon vent device.

When was the AAV added to the standard?

I don't think my 1990 Winnebago has one.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maillemaker wrote:

Quote:

Ni idea when. You might have to contact NFPA to get info. like that.

You may not have an AAV if the kitchen sink is close enough to the vent pipe to the roof?

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maillemaker wrote:

Quote:

No idea about RV timing , but reading some stuff I Googled, it looks like they came into use in Can/US about twenty years ago, but only started getting code approvals around 2008 give or take. Those limited use approvals have since been expanded allowing more in stick houses/apartment buildings than originally.

That could be why I never saw any in my 2003 5er. Of course "standards" and "guides" are not "codes" AFAIK. (RVs are not stick houses for all code things apparently)

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

We had an AAV at the kitchen sink fail in the first year of owning our TT from new. Replaced it with one from Lowes. It failed shortly afterwards. Then I installed a commercial grade Oatey one and that fixed it for good.

Not required, just permitted when the manufacturer doesn't want to do a roof vent.

7.6.6 Anti­Siphon Trap Vent Devices.An anti­siphon trap vent device shall be permitted to be used only as a secondary vent in accordance with the following: (1) An anti­siphon trap vent device shall be installed in accordance with the terms of its listing. (2) One anti­siphon trap vent device shall be permitted to serve not more than two fixtures. (3) Anti­siphon trap devices shall not be used as a primary vent for toilets or holding tanks. (4) When a fixture drain or main drain bypasses a holding tank, that drain shall be vented by a primary vent. (5) Anti­siphon trap vent devices shall not be used on more than two consecutive fixtures before being vented to outside atmosphere. (6) Two fixtures protected by one anti­siphon trap vent device shall be drained by a common 1 ½ in. (38.1 mm) minimum drain. (7) The device shall be installed in an accessible location that permits a free flow of air.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That RV one seems to say they can't use one instead of a roof vent, in that the grey and black tanks must have roof vents. Perhaps it allows for longer horizontal distances away from the roof vent stack for sinks to be located.

The battle with actual stick house codes is to persuade the code makers to allow for no roof vents at all, but then they don't have black and grey tanks.

Freezing seems to be a problem with AAVs. Perhaps another thing to worry about with RVs for de-winterizing procedures?

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info. Covered with a plastic bag and rubber band. If smell goes away i will replace the valve.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

Thanks for all the info. Covered with a plastic bag and rubber band. If smell goes away i will replace the valve.
Just be aware doing that could possibly cause the P-trap to get sucked dry and you could still smell the tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Vent under sink cause of smelly trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS