cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.5 Ecoboost Feels Like a V6

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 2017 F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost and 3.55 gears. I rented a 6x10 dual axle dump trailer and loaded it with 2.5 yards of landscape rock. I'm thinking maybe 8000-9000lbs total.

Engine did the job, but felt like a lawn mower. My previous 6.2 V8's easily outperform this motor. Now I know why this motor can't be placed in a Super Duty.Trailer also pushed the truck around and was tough on the brakes. Thankfully only went about 8 miles.

This motor is great for anything 5000lbs or less, as long as you are fairly aerodynamic. My truck gets 7 mpg towing an ultralight Passport 153ML.

Since I drive most miles empty, I like this truck and it is a good compromise. If I pulled over 5000lbs and used the truck only as a tow vehicle, I would pass.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML
51 REPLIES 51

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
travelnman wrote:
I wish they would come out with a SUV with luxury interiors which could pull
6-8,000lbs and get ten mpg. Is that asking to much? Maybe keep the price some where your average work alocholic could afford to use with the family.

You make it sound like you want an $80,000 vehicle for $40,000. The 2019 Expedition is rated to pull 9,000lbs when properly equipped and even the XLT is a nice truck compared to what was available 20 years ago. Your mileage will depend a lot on the aerodynamics of the trailer you choose but with the right trailer and conservative driving 10mpg is very possible at legal speeds.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Both the Navigator or Escalade would fit the bill if you are willing to drive at or below 60 MPH.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
philh wrote:
travelnman wrote:
6-8,000lbs and get ten mpg. Is that asking to much? Maybe keep the price some where your average work alocholic could afford to use with the family.

Lincoln Navigator

Yah. Beat me to it. I’m not sure about the 10 MPG but it would be close. A Navigator is a pretty nice ride too. Seems to me they are north of 80 grand though.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
travelnman wrote:

Lincoln Navigator

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
PS...if a 6.0L gasser had a double turbo setup, that also had the proper engineering...it would behave like a 12L N/A..just like this 3.5L crammed with 7L worth of air fuel...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe some day after someone figures HOW2 increase ICE's efficiency

Currently in the approx ranges for gaoline 30% and up to 40% for diesel

Until then, ICE's are stuck with the known Laws of Physics of today
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
6-8,000lbs and get ten mpg. Is that asking to much? Maybe keep the price some where your average work alocholic could afford to use with the family. Pickups are OK but have that tailgate which gets in the way when your loading/unloading. Then getting to stuff is a chore after it has slid around, not bad if your under 80yrs but after that its a nursing home count down if you slip. Maybe its time to end it all but we don't feel like it. I have seen camping go from family tenting over the weekend to luxury hotels on wheels and now it seems to be returning to tents. Saw more tents than RV this weekend in Northern Il and a guy who caught a 11 lb bass. Some how the cost of our RV adventure seemed minor in deed. Don't think I will trade it for a tent just yet.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
kellem wrote:
Surprised to hear that.

My Bil recently bought a 3.5 EcoBoost to pull his 8K trailer and likes it better than his previous 6.0 PS.

He still disappears in my rearview mirror in the mountains when I get on the Hemi.:B

Unless your Hemi is under the hood of a car and is 6.x liters,
Haha, cough cough, bullchit....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
"There's something wrong with mine, therefore every one ever made is no good and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is a no good dirty liar."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Cough...Cough...so many trolls on this thread...especially the one who created it :S
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised to hear that.

My Bil recently bought a 3.5 EcoBoost to pull his 8K trailer and likes it better than his previous 6.0 PS.

He still disappears in my rearview mirror in the mountains when I get on the Hemi.:B

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
I call BS. I tow 8500+ a lot with my 2018 here in the PNW, plenty of times up 6-10% grades. It NEVER lacks for power. Either you are full of $hit, or something was wrong with your motor.

I've had a 2011 EB3.5 and an 08 Cummins Dodge too and had well over 15k miles towing on each of them, toy haulers 7-9,000 lbs mostly. Towed 11,000 once (skidsteer) with the 11 EB (yes, I was WAAAAY over all limits!) and the motor was fine. Brakes, suspension, tranny, not so much.

Mike

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grodyman wrote:
So I have a 2017 F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost and 3.55 gears. I rented a 6x10 dual axle dump trailer and loaded it with 2.5 yards of landscape rock. I'm thinking maybe 8000-9000lbs total.

Engine did the job, but felt like a lawn mower. My previous 6.2 V8's easily outperform this motor. Now I know why this motor can't be placed in a Super Duty.Trailer also pushed the truck around and was tough on the brakes. Thankfully only went about 8 miles.

This motor is great for anything 5000lbs or less, as long as you are fairly aerodynamic. My truck gets 7 mpg towing an ultralight Passport 153ML.

Since I drive most miles empty, I like this truck and it is a good compromise. If I pulled over 5000lbs and used the truck only as a tow vehicle, I would pass.

Gman

Y I have towed 12k lbs with my ecoboost and it will run like a bat out of he%$.
Sounds like your real complaint is the fuel mileage while towing. Towing a 10k lb fiver I get about 7.5 to 8 mpg at 62 mph with my ecoboost. My 6.7 Powerstroke gets about 10-11 mpg at 62mph with the same fiver.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
danrclem wrote:
Groover wrote:
Mcrockett77 wrote:
Interesting that I had the exact opposite experience. I sold my 2015 ecoboost expedition and bought a 2019 f250 6.2. Both had 3.73 and same size tire. Pulling the same trailer (7500 gvw) I felt the ecoboost preformed as well as the 6.2. Now the f250 was way more stable and felt much safer. But power wise, I was a bit disappointed. Expedition got better mpg solos and about the same (10) pulling trailer

The 6.2 seems to have a stellar reputation for reliability durability but when it was offered in the F150 it returned 3 mpg less than the Ecoboost and lower performance, even though the 6.2 is rated for more hp. So your experience was what the test data would predict. It will be interesting to see how the 7.3 stacks up against the 6.2.

I've got a 6.2 and like it but I believe the 7.3 is going to get better fuel mileage and pull better. How much is hard to say. Some say it will have one or the other but not both. I'm anxious to see what it will do. If I ever buy one it won't be in the next few years.

Ford is building up expectations about its efficiency and power. A more efficient engine could do both IF it is driven in similar fashion as the less efficient engine. On the other hand, if users get too much pleasure from the extra power then fuel burn very well could go up.