cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spinning lug nut.....how can this be possible?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a weird one. Went camping and got a flat tire 5 miles from the destination. Dirt shoulder and scary place to try and change a tire.

Start at it. One lug nut is just spinning. Make the decision that the stud itself must be spinning inside the wheel. Fire up the generator and use a cut off wheel to cut the tire off. We limp it 10mph to the place we are camping and plan is to call AAA.

We do. Triple A comes out with his impact. Same deal the lug nut is just spinning. Says he needs to talk with management. Needs a special tool that Napa caries.

They screw us and dont care. Said another technician was coming out but never shows. So next plan is cut off the fancy cover that hides the big nut that holds on the bearing. Plan is to remove the wheel and drill out the stud from behind.

Make that happen and drill away. Did that for awhile until every drill bit i have is smoked. Start asking fellow campers if they have any twist drills and nobody had any.

One guy offered his awesome Milwaukee battery powered impact gun earlier in the day. He came over again and i asked to use it. Sure enough the lug nut popped right off!!

At this point our assumption is all my beating and banging on the wheel stud must have made it stick enough for the impact gun to finally remove the nut.

Now here is the crazy part. What exactly was spinning? We are off road enthusiasts who are pretty familiar with nuts and bolts. We think the outer shell of the lug nut might have been spinning.

When we look at the wheel i dont see any sign of the stud itself spinning around.

How can a socket form around the hexagon lug and spin?

There is free play when i hold the lug nut and twist back and forth. Like 1mm of play.

32 REPLIES 32

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
I don't trust a tire shop or anyone else to touch my nuts. I have always used my torque wrench from day one along with the right socket on our TT. Makes me cringe any time I see someone slamming on lug nuts with an impact wrench. The correct torque should make it easier to remove the nuts.

Same here. I always retorque with my own wrench any time after a shop removes a wheel. Thanks to Ottawa wishing to become the pothole capital of the world I had a blow out two weeks ago on an 8 month old tire on my car. After the shop put on a new tire, using any reasonable force I couldn't budge the lug nuts on my retorque attempt. Back to the shop to have them loosen. My retorque showed they did it right this time. I also have those chrome covered lug nuts on this car and one got so buggered up due to this excessive torque episode, it had to replaced.
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't trust a tire shop or anyone else to touch my nuts. I have always used my torque wrench from day one along with the right socket on our TT. Makes me cringe any time I see someone slamming on lug nuts with an impact wrench. The correct torque should make it easier to remove the nuts.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:

We limp it 10mph to the place we are camping and plan is to call AAA.

We do. Triple A comes out with his impact. Same deal the lug nut is just spinning. Says he needs to talk with management. Needs a special tool that Napa caries.

We think the outer shell of the lug nut might have been spinning.

Had to come back to this......the AAA guy you got....didn't know
s*** from shinola!
Tow operators range from excellent to incompetent - kinda like Forrest Gump and the box of chocolates. Was your Tow op working at Taco Bell last week - or in a machine shop?

Ex: The DW and self are returning from a funeral in our "go to funeral clothes". Stop on the way home for lunch. Come out to my
Dodge 1T (not a dually) - and see I have a flat. It's about 100 degrees - could change to the spare myself, but why - so I call AAA.

Polite AAA guy in a tow truck shows up pretty quickly, starts to swap the flat for the spare - discovers he doesn't have the right size socket for the lugs.

Maybe he "thought" he would use the (junk) wrench supplied by the factory - or "whatever" - - but I let him use my 3/4 drive socket on a beam slider to do the job. (I was OK with his jack, LOL).

Ditto tire shop employees with Impact wrenches. (Watch to see if they complete the job with a TQ wrench - or the impact).
Was your AAA guy going to mount the spare with his impact??

BTW - the lug nut covers *ARE* common - had those on a boat trailer.
When new they: Fit nice, look good - until you apply some serious torque without removing the cover...then they distort & the "real" lug nut doesn't turn.

With some age - a bit of rust/corrosion (they won't come off easily) and you may *think* they are the lug nut.

Roll on.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
x2 cheap metal cover spinning.

X-27......"decorative" lug nut cover.

Check your other wheel(s) lug nuts.

Ditch the covers unless you really gotta have 'em.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you must know the answer... reassemble the old parts unmounted and re create the situation using same tools etc. Then you know.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A tire repair shop that includes big rigs, could answer this question immediately with absolute accuracy. I would not trust the personnel in a car only tire repair shop.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
While I have had to deal with failing lug nut "covers" I am not sure that is the OP problem. The bore where the stud is pressed into from the rear of the drum/rotor look too smooth. See how deep the knurling is on the stud. It looks almost gone on the bore. Loctite make a special adhesive just for something like this, Loctite 668 High Temp.

(My guess is that someone over torqued the nut to begin with and the knurling failed

Good drill bits, lifetime guarantee - Drill Hog 21 Pc Drill Bit Set w/Index

Itโ€™s tough to tell from the picture but I tend to agree. The lands on the hub look wide and flattened off and not pointed. It also looks like there could be small shavings in there.

I can't tell from pic what side of hub we're looking at. But if the stud was spinning I would think there would be marks around the hole on the back side. If we are looking from front the splines look good down in the hole

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
While I have had to deal with failing lug nut "covers" I am not sure that is the OP problem. The bore where the stud is pressed into from the rear of the drum/rotor look too smooth. See how deep the knurling is on the stud. It looks almost gone on the bore. Loctite make a special adhesive just for something like this, Loctite 668 High Temp.

(My guess is that someone over torqued the nut to begin with and the knurling failed

Itโ€™s tough to tell from the picture but I tend to agree. The lands on the hub look wide and flattened off and not pointed. It also looks like there could be small shavings in there.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:

If I thought this was the issue, (And have seen it with old stuff) I would drill cut notch in shoulder of stud, drill and tap a hole in hub so a set screw would fit in notch, cut flush.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
It is a locking lug nut takes a special tool. This is to keep the wheel covers from WALKING away.

Yes, they make something like that. But if you look at the pic in the OP, that is not what he is dealing with...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is a locking lug nut takes a special tool. This is to keep the wheel covers from WALKING away.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Alternator nuts = 15/16 deep socket. The shaft is .670 soft iron.

An impact wrench will work great :B

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MitchF150 wrote:
Looks like someone used a 12 pt socket on those stupid tin covered lug nuts..

Had those stupid things on my F150 and I used a 12 pt socket and effed them all up..

Used a 6 pt socket and finally got them off and then got a new set of real lug nuts without those stupid tin covers and I can now use my impact again.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good luck!

Mitch

X2
I only use 6 point sockets unless clearance is an issue, then I will use a 12 point.
In addition love impact wrench for removing nuts and bolts, saves on broken bolts.
I thought I knew about them until I had a alternator pulley nut I could't remove with a socket, breaker bar, and strap wrench on the fan blades. Took to the local Ford dealer and asked if they could remove it. Parts guy took it back to the shop, got the correct socket on the impact wrench, put a shop rag over the fan blades and held with his hand! I saw hamburger coming, nope one quick hit and off came the nut!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"