Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Spinning lug nut.....how can this be possible?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Spinning lug nut.....how can this be possible?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acorn cover was spinning the impact of the gun hit the cover just right to wedge it on the lug and spin it off

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

You need to specify what the lug (flat) was on. RV? Make, model, year,
2014 forest river stealth toyhauler. Build quality is horrible i would never ever advise anyone to buy a trailer from them. They dont even vacuum up wood chips after making their insanely horrible cuts.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newman fulltimer wrote:

Acorn cover was spinning the impact of the gun hit the cover just right to wedge it on the lug and spin it off
Man i had the socket fully seated. Got to think the AAA guy did at first. I guess when you look at the wheel and see the markings the only possible answer has to be the cover spinning.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just move on. Get a new stud and press it in. Get new solid lug nuts for ALL positions.

https://recstuff.com/wheel-accessories/lug-nuts

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

Get a Dremel cutoff wheel and cut 2 channels up the side of the nut cover so you can peel the cover off. Do you have a standard nut then showing (metric or standard) left? I've never seen a lug covered with sheet goods that didn't require the cover to be removed before the lug was loosened.
You need to specify what the lug (flat) was on. RV? Make, model, year, Toad? Same, make, model, etc.
RV lugs with decorative covers usually use something like these Cover pullers
to remove the cover.

X2

With a Dremel tool, you don't need muscle - just a little cut-off wheel. I was helping my neighbor trying to get the nut off his trailer ball. We had cheaters 4 feet long - one of us holding the ball and the other trying to turn the nut. We weren't having any luck because the threads were galled and jammed. I got my little Dremel with a cut-off wheel and put a cut on each side of the nut. Then put a screwdriver in the slot and tapped it with a hammer - the nut fell off easily. We should have started with the Dremel and saved ourselves a lot of effort. The Dremel with other attachments but the cut-off wheel gets the most use. It's something I carry with me when I leave home because you never know when you might need it.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old Dodge pickup has stainless covers over the nuts. Over time the steel nuts rust to the point the cover expands so the right size socket will not fit. When you go to larger size, the socket will spin without turning the nut. In with my tire changing tools I carry a tool designed to remove rounded nuts, and enough nuts for one wheel. I tried like bell to find solid nuts, but could not match the wheel end....

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are cheap intimation chrome lug nuts. Thin chrome cover over standard lug nuts. Remove all of them and install solid chrome nuts.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like a genuine polyacrylic chandelier or formaldehyde emitting walnut cabinet laminate, BEAUTY NUTS relied upon utterly form over function for sales. The kits I used to see had a grade 0 metal adapter to slip over the beauty nut which of course was also touted as a theft deterrent.

What the manufacturer did not count on was the thieved becming enraged and perhaps setting light to the rig.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/19 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like someone used a 12 pt socket on those stupid tin covered lug nuts..

Had those stupid things on my F150 and I used a 12 pt socket and effed them all up..

Used a 6 pt socket and finally got them off and then got a new set of real lug nuts without those stupid tin covers and I can now use my impact again.. [emoticon]

Good luck!

Mitch

* This post was edited 06/30/19 11:18pm by MitchF150 *

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/19 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

Looks like someone used a 12 pt socket on those stupid tin covered lug nuts..

Had those stupid things on my F150 and I used a 12 pt socket and effed them all up..

Used a 6 pt socket and finally got them off and then got a new set of real lug nuts without those stupid tin covers and I can now use my impact again.. [emoticon]

Good luck!

Mitch

X2
I only use 6 point sockets unless clearance is an issue, then I will use a 12 point.
In addition love impact wrench for removing nuts and bolts, saves on broken bolts.
I thought I knew about them until I had a alternator pulley nut I could't remove with a socket, breaker bar, and strap wrench on the fan blades. Took to the local Ford dealer and asked if they could remove it. Parts guy took it back to the shop, got the correct socket on the impact wrench, put a shop rag over the fan blades and held with his hand! I saw hamburger coming, nope one quick hit and off came the nut!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Spinning lug nut.....how can this be possible?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS