cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SWR 5th wheel towing

rb2boxer
Explorer
Explorer
I am really getting close to pulling the trigger on a Chevy 3500 Duramax crew cab short bed. This will be my first diesel and hope I can pull it off. I current have a 2500 gas. We want to upgrade to a fifth wheel in the not so distant future. We are not full timing however we would like to take some longer trips. The truck will mainly be used as an all around vehicle which is why I am leaning toward SRW. I really donโ€™t want a Dually although Iโ€™m sure when towing itโ€™s the ultimate.

How do your SRW short beds handle the 5th wheel? I would obviously buy a trailer within the specs the truck could handle. See a lot of SRW out there pulling them.
48 REPLIES 48

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Russ I simply can't believe you post pics of the BEAUTIFUL new truck hooked to that OLD RV!!!

Just remember the 14k is just a Licensing/Insurance number and has NOTHING to do with the SAE rating of the truck.

YEP it will even handle a couple pounds extra on the rear.

As Chris mentioned simply license the truck with appropriate tonnage.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Dude I get it. And your new rig is seriously nice! More luxury, more capability, more nicer, lol.
And more preferable. Better towing experience for sure, not even debatable.
Not knocking you for upgrading. You got your money's worth out of the old Dodge.

Jus the whole " don't go over the magic yellow sticker" stuff seems a bit unexpected coming from a fellow who was rocking a 2nd Gen 3/4 ton for years on end and admittedly it did the job fine.

Well we will see what the next 5er is in the next couple years, Rear axle is rated at 9,750# or so.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dude I get it. And your new rig is seriously nice! More luxury, more capability, more nicer, lol.
And more preferable. Better towing experience for sure, not even debatable.
Not knocking you for upgrading. You got your money's worth out of the old Dodge.

Jus the whole " don't go over the magic yellow sticker" stuff seems a bit unexpected coming from a fellow who was rocking a 2nd Gen 3/4 ton for years on end and admittedly it did the job fine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
allen8106 wrote:
I had a GMC SRW 2500 diesel and the truck pulled our 10,500 lb 5ver with no stability issues.

Grit dog wrote:
Rhagfo wrote:
"There is always two sides, the main thing to remember is the Payload Number on the trucks yellow sticker is the TOTAL of what the Truck can carry on it's wheels, not just how much pin it can carry. If your current TV is 2006 or newer, load as ready for a camping trip and go to the scales.
Take the total weight and subtract it from the Trucks GVWR, take that result and subtract that number from the maximum payload number from your yellow sticker, the result will be approximately how much of available payload you have already used before adding the weight of a 5er's pin."

Wow man, you've really changed yer tune since you upgraded trucks!

Still pot calling the kettle black if you now believe what you're saying after years of being cool with your ole 01....
But it's ok, prolly need to justify the purchase?

Just like I posted the first time to this my tune to others getting a new or new to them was to get at least enough truck to cover the load. I wanted a newer larger 5er, DW wanted a larger kitchen, I wanted larger bedroom and living room, no slide in old King of the Road. Last thing before we would sign the papers, was to drop the pin of the TV to check squat. Well it didn't then and even at 12,500# GVW and 2,700# pin the truck always set better than level.
The main reason for getting a newer TV was really three things;
1. The Ram had a NV4500 5 speed manual, there was a big jump from 3rd to 4th. I was looking at a G56 swap so $$$$ into a TV with 314,000 miles.
2. We full time, TV was going to be only vehicle, DW drove manuals for years, but didn't really like driving the Ram. Happy Wife Happy Life!
3. The 1,700# we were over GVWR! GVWR 8,800# and scaled 10,500# loaded, still within tire and axle, just CYA.

All That said I will say that 5ers have great towing characteristics even overloaded the physics are stable, tires are the weakest link. It scares me when post come up about "I have suqat" what should I do, and many answer blindly without knowing weights Bag it and go! The poster may be over loading their tires.

So all of that said old over loaded 2001 Ram and the new 2016 Ram with the same 5er.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loaded heavy for full timing for a year and a half.

Steer 5120
TV rear 6620
TV Total 11740
Trailer axles 12780
Combined 24520

Truck ready to tow 8900(GVWR 11,700), Truck licensed to 12K in Washington. Truck's manufacture's GCWR 25,300. Trailer 15620(GVWR 16K)

Trailer 39'4"L 13'3"H, combination made two round tips from Washington to Arizona. Mountain passes and high winds.

I choose this particular trailer due to the low 2435 dry pin weight. No Washer/Drier, no gen set.

Towed great.

B&W manual slider on Demco picture frame in RAM pucks. Because of front bed box slider was always used to be able to release the B&W king pin latch. Slide back at check in area, slide forward after straightening out on exit road/street.

Here is the truck with a tad over 3K behind the rear axle. Everything stock, no air bags or other add on.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
mtofell1 wrote:
Wow, debate and disagreement in a towing forum about SRW vs DRW (the only debate that is slightly hotter is "which brand is best?")

My personal take is that I don't want to drive a DRW truck (and yes that is MY DECISION NOT YOURS) so I will make my 5th wheel fit a SRW truck's capabilities. From my research 15,000# loaded is doable with that truck assuming you aren't carrying 5 Summo wrestlers in the backseat. If someone wants a bigger 5th wheel that will rise above the capabilities of the SRW truck you have an option to get a DRW or get a smaller 5th wheel. It's really a pretty simple situation.... yet it always turns into 8 pages of people trying to cram their views into your world.

Won't take up much space-- I agree and followed your example. :B

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, debate and disagreement in a towing forum about SRW vs DRW (the only debate that is slightly hotter is "which brand is best?")

My personal take is that I don't want to drive a DRW truck (and yes that is MY DECISION NOT YOURS) so I will make my 5th wheel fit a SRW truck's capabilities. From my research 15,000# loaded is doable with that truck assuming you aren't carrying 5 Summo wrestlers in the backseat. If someone wants a bigger 5th wheel that will rise above the capabilities of the SRW truck you have an option to get a DRW or get a smaller 5th wheel. It's really a pretty simple situation.... yet it always turns into 8 pages of people trying to cram their views into your world.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Devocamper wrote:
We towed a 36 foot 4 slide 15,600 5th Wheel first with a 2500 short bed gmc 8.1 gas with a manual slider hitch and it handled it ok , then towed that same 5th Wheel with a Chevy 3500 diesel DRW long bed ext cab and it was a dream to tow ! It always felt like there was more than enough truck and was rock solid towing , Really depends on how often and how far your towing . If your doing a lot of traveling you may feel better with the long bed DRW , from experience there is no better setup but cost canโ€™t always be justified. I have always had a Toyota echo thatโ€™s now about 20 years old for a daily driver when I was working so having the bigger truck has never been a problem , currently have gone to a DRW gas setup for our current TC which has also worked out well , you will never hear or read about someone having to much truck!! Good luck and safe travels .

I have a highboy I can tow behind the Peterbilt as well as a tandem dually gooseneck equipment trailer I can tow behind my SRW. For loads under 30,000 lbs I always choose the pickup over the Peterbilt. So I would rather be a little over loaded than than way underloaded. I think the SRW 3500 series trucks are perfect for pulling up to about 16,000 lb RV's.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I had a GMC SRW 2500 diesel and the truck pulled our 10,500 lb 5ver with no stability issues.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

lcseds
Explorer
Explorer
I just went with an F350 Dually. Drive it to work every day and run errands with it. Wife is surprised at some of the parking lots I park in. With a little experience, a dually isn't much different driving wise. It obviously has towing benefits. My gripe is actually the long bed. It does feel like an aircraft carrier sometimes while trying to turn.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Russ when you decide the 14k GVWR is just a number and go with axle ratings you will have much more carrying capacity.

Russ I have never met you. One thing you just mentioned about your self tells me you have above average intelligence.

Well it is actually worse as I am ambidextrous!

Currently I am happy with GVWR, as with the current 5er, I am still about 1,300# from reaching GVWR. With the 2001 it was axle and tire.

When your wife gets the bug to have a LARGER home the 14k will fly out the door!

Lefties are of higher intelligence, that's a FACT.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
See a lot of SRW out there pulling them.

I think this adds a lot more than us folks that push our favorites on the internet. :h

BTW that was probably me you saw with the SRW and 2WD, :W

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Russ when you decide the 14k GVWR is just a number and go with axle ratings you will have much more carrying capacity.

Russ I have never met you. One thing you just mentioned about your self tells me you have above average intelligence.

Well it is actually worse as I am ambidextrous!

Currently I am happy with GVWR, as with the current 5er, I am still about 1,300# from reaching GVWR. With the 2001 it was axle and tire.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III