cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fireworks season

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We live on a lake and the tent-vendors are set up selling fireworks. We pretty much have fireworks until the vendors go away....

I have had good luck giving Ben a product called "Composure" by Vetriscience. I found it at Pet Smart and I think Amazon has it too. It makes him a bit more chilled-out, somewhat sleepy but he doesn't act "drugged". It's a small chewy piece that he happily eats - I think each chew is good for 20 lbs.

Anyway - just passing that along. Don't forget to make sure your dogs are collared and tagged - this is a time when many run away from home out of fear....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
12 REPLIES 12

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Was talking to my local banker and his dog has hid in the basement for 3 days. Last night here to purchase and shoot fireworks as well, thankfully.

In our area, as long as the tents are up, selling fireworks, there will still be idiots shooting them off - however: our area is now on a website called "Nextdoor", and several people have complained about fireworks during non-legal times and saying they will call the Sheriff's Dep't. Now that word is out that there are snitches in the area, a lot of the people are behaving themselves and observing the legal dates and quiet times!! Last night, all was quiet by about 11:15 PM - and that's truly a first! Normally we hear explosions into the wee hours of the morning....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Was talking to my local banker and his dog has hid in the basement for 3 days. Last night here to purchase and shoot fireworks as well, thankfully.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We still have a couple of nights to go.... the display sponsored by our lake ass'n will be Saturday night; and tonight will be the last "legal" night to shoot fireworks (not that legality stops many people). Last night I gave both Ben AND Jimmy* a Composure chewy, and they both did fine, although Ben wouldn't go out after dark to potty.

I think fireworks induce different responses in dogs: some ignore them completely. Some, like our hunting dogs back when I was a kid, got excited about "going hunting". Some are just terrified due to the loud noises; and some, like our former Cattle Dog, felt they were "invading our property", needing a protective response of chasing and barking.

*I gave Jimmy a small dose - it seems as his eyesight fails, he doesn't react the same to certain situations. He's always been bombproof regarding fireworks, and I don't want him to decide to be fearful now....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Happy nights deep in the woods near lake Superior this past week. No nearby towns or homes means no amateur shows.

Sadly back home this weekend.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Katie hates fireworks and 4th of July & Christmas decorations in the house. She likes everything to stay the same, LOL.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

dturm
colliehauler wrote:
I Was Wrong Sawyer hates fireworks. He was ok when they were in the distance but tonight is another story.

No rain either it occurred last night. Will be thankful when the 4TH is over.

I also was wrong, Sasha doesn't like them either.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I Was Wrong Sawyer hates fireworks. He was ok when they were in the distance but tonight is another story.

No rain either it occurred last night. Will be thankful when the 4TH is over.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
There talking about rain here for the 4th. My current Collie pup Sawyer is not bothered by loud noise thankfully.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
4th of July is a bad night for pets.
In Nevada it is very dry and fire prone by the 4th so people mostly view public fireworks.
Forty years ago I left my dog on the 4th in the fenced back yard to go out. When I came back she was gone and had gotten killed on the highway. I never got over it.

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
My Labrador isn't frightened at all. She is excited by fireworks. She wags her tail and heads towards the sound.
She thinks waterfowl are about to fall out of the sky for her to fetch.

Our 7 yr old blck lab just started hiding in the closet during fireworks and thunder storms... We tried the Thunder Shirt and it really works... She acts a little fidgety first, then like nothing is happening around her...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Worst time of the year for mine.

Not just the 4th anymore. Fireworks tents stick around through labor day, so it's constant shows nightly. Stupid township government won't pass any restrictions either.

Very frustrating.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed