Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fresh water life, how long?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fresh water life, how long?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Jimbee

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey All,

Any idea how long fresh water stays usable after topping off the tank with chlorinated public water? 2 days? 2 weeks? Longer? I just sanitized the system and I'm getting ready to head out for 5 days of dry camping. Gonna bring the water jugs and top off as needed. Is filling the tank ahead of time what most of you do, or do you wait until the morning you leave to fill up the tank?

Thanks

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A google search revealed six months.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We run with full tank, and fill it again when we get home so it’s ready for next trip ina few weeks. If it sits more than 2-3months I’d drain and refill. No worries for a week or two.

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bottle of sealed water (bottled water) can last for years and years, maybe never go bad. Actually, it's not the water that goes bad, it's the stuff that grows in it that's bad.

Prolong the life growth of bacteria and such, and water is good ... forever.

How long can you prolong bacteria growth in a holding tank in an RV? That all depends upon the water originally put in the tank, how much bacteria it initially has. And then it depends upon how sealed the tank is. And then it depends upon temperature and environmental conditions. Basically, there is no answer.

A bucket of distilled water left outside uncovered for 2 hours can begin to grow green stuff in it. A gallon of rain water in a vacuum tight sealed container will look OK for years.

Personally, if the camper is not in use, the tanks are emptied. Emptied tanks means one less thing to wrong wrong. Same with the water heater, drain it.

If they are emptied for any great length of time (like 6 months) it's best to sanitize them before using again. Although they are drained, they are still wet inside, and if in hot weather can still grow bacteria, mold, yucky stuff.

If you have access to city water, your water is already treated with an element of chlorine and chemicals. You probably don't need to sanitize after sitting or in use.

Here again, there is no true answer only because everyone's RV is built and designed different, and everyone lives under different environmental elements, and everyone uses different gradients of pure 100% uncontaminated H2O.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Dutchman, glad to see you back!

N-Trouble

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black tanks that do not allow light will inhibit any kind of growth. Clear/white tanks will allow growth.

OP should not be in any way concerned about a 5 day boondock trip.

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Birdnst

Poquoson

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottled water will not last forever, it has expiration dates on it.

If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Birdnst wrote:

Likely that has more to do with "stuff" leaching out of the plastic into the water than the water going "bad". That, and the fact that they want to sell you more water...

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Birdnst wrote:

Me thinks, because that is the expected shelf-life of the container. After a certain length of time the container itself begins to degrade. There-in is the reason for the expiration date. Water lasts forever, it's the non-water stuff in it that makes it distasteful or bad for human consumption.

Here to cite only 1 of many sources.

"Although water, in and of itself, does not go bad, the plastic bottle it is contained in does "expire," and will eventually start leaching chemicals into the water. This won't necessarily render the water toxic, but it might make it taste somewhat less than "mountain spring fresh." If consumers contact drink companies to complain that water they bought several years earlier tastes bad, the bottlers can point out that it's their own fault for not drinking it by the expiration date."

Which brings up another check-mark for draining the water from your fresh water tank rather than letting the water sit for a great length of time and absorb chemicals from the plastic tank, unless you drain it and refill it. No, if it sits in the tank for a month it's not going to hurt you, but the possibility of the plastic chemicals leaching from the tank into the water is a real possibility. Thus the need to occasionally sanitize.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jimbee wrote:

Hey All,

Any idea how long fresh water stays usable after topping off the tank with chlorinated public water? 2 days? 2 weeks? Longer? I just sanitized the system and I'm getting ready to head out for 5 days of dry camping. Gonna bring the water jugs and top off as needed. Is filling the tank ahead of time what most of you do, or do you wait until the morning you leave to fill up the tank?

Thanks

FWIW, since we like to 'dock in the mountains, I do my best to carry minimal fresh water. I stop about 30 miles from my usual destination to "water down" which means only one long (mostly) climb, from about 4k' to 7k'. I figure it saves me a few bucks in fuel and the water tastes a whole lot better, if you have to drink it, than our city water. [emoticon]

Lyle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fresh water life, how long?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.