cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fulltiming across the USA.............on your own land?

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any experience Fulltiming on properties that you own?

What I am thinking of is buying property in several locations around the country such that at any given time of the year, you would have at least one spot to have ideal weather.

Yes, I know local laws/zoning have to be considered, but what got me started down this track is that some distant relatives of mine own a large lot on a river in MI and when the salmon are running, they all tow their RVs to the property and fish to their heartsโ€™ content. I know they have municipal water on the site, not sure about electric. Ideally, Iโ€™d want both.

Iโ€™d love to hear about your experiences doing this and any downsides to this idea (other than initial cost and taxes, local meth heads, etc).
42 REPLIES 42

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The West is full of public land. You already own it.
It is a mental and psychological adjustment people have to make coming from the East and Midwest.

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Tahoe property is maintained other 2 properties are wooded. When I'm there I maintain them.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson, sounds like a neat set-up if can find the right places.

I just found out that the leach field on a septic system lasts about 40 yrs. I have one at our home in the country that is having problems with roots getting in and I've used the 'root kill' for quite sometime. And, roots are still getting in. This particular piece of land is very wooded on 17 acres.

If you decide to put in a system, maintenance would be needed from time to time. Trees WILL find the leach field! I recently found the foaming root kill and hoping that it will work better than the granulated.

Because of the age of the leach field, I will probably have to have another put in. All this was done in 1980. The home is used seldom so I might can get by for a little while since I had the 1,000 gallon tank pumped out.

Good luck on your search!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
js218 wrote:
No issues with utilities, Pa. site is 10 acres on a mountain top near Cross Forks Pa., Vermont site is 5 acres on a lake near Norton Vt., Lake Tahoe property is near Incline Village. Shut off the utilities when I'm gone, friends keep an eye on the properties when I'm gone which is almost always.

Just curious, what do you do for grounds maintenance? Do you contract with a local person to mow prior to your arrival? Mowers and equipment can add up quickly when outfitting several properties. Not to mention the time to do the work.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
I own my lot in a private campground. All the utilities I need are there electric water and sewer. We also have lp available. We have many retired people who basically live there for the summer and then go to another spot south for the winter. Point is if you can find some private campgrounds like mine it could be a better option and a lot cheaper.

That's certainly a good option for a lot of folks.
I like to invest in land and prefer to own/control this type of use. Money for the right spot isn't a problem.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
I own my lot in a private campground. All the utilities I need are there electric water and sewer. We also have lp available. We have many retired people who basically live there for the summer and then go to another spot south for the winter. Point is if you can find some private campgrounds like mine it could be a better option and a lot cheaper.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, I will have to give that a try.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I have never seen this option in any US township. Have you seen this in US cities? We travel full time and dry camp often so this kind of water option would be very interesting.
just googling โ€œbulk water station and then the name of a city/townโ€ found me load stations in most municipalities in US that I could think of.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Kevinwa wrote:
CFerguson wrote:
Kevinwa wrote:
... Most municipalities have a portable load station....

I didn't know that. Good Info, Thanks!

Well, in my corner of Alberta they all do. Not sure about elsewhere. Most I have seen are near the town public works yards and are often coin operated. One near me is $1 for 100 gallons of water.
Regardless of how widespread this is, it is an excellent option to be aware of and to investigate at whatever locality I am interested in. Thanks again- this is exactly the kind of idea I was hoping for in this thread.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never seen this option in any US township. Have you seen this in US cities? We travel full time and dry camp often so this kind of water option would be very interesting.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Kevinwa wrote:

Well, in my corner of Alberta they all do. Not sure about elsewhere. Most I have seen are near the town public works yards and are often coin operated. One near me is $1 for 100 gallons of water.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Kevinwa wrote:

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
If near a town I would consider hauling water in a tank behind the truck or on a trailer. Most municipalities have a portable load station. My half ton handles a 500 gallon tank on a trailer. That would probably lasts a few weeks in an rv. You can get potable approved tanks that are black in colour to prevent algae growth. Have a little transfer pump to fill the rv from the tank on the trailer as needed.

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Have buildings on all my properties prior to purchasing my rig. Have 30'x 75' pads installed to park rig on.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim