Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fulltiming across the USA.............on your own land?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Fulltiming across the USA.............on your own land?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

While cost may not be a problem, it is always an issue. If cost is NO OBJECT then you would be staying at the best RV Resorts available everywhere in the US and this topic would never have been posted.

I realize that this is the Internet, but please try to stay within the spirit of the question instead of trying to nitpick. Cost is NOT a concern to me in the way I intend to spend. I knew Someone would start into this but had hoped we could get to page 2 at least before I had to try to stop that line of arguing.

The question is, "Does anyone have any experience Fulltiming on properties that you own?" Nothing about how I want to conduct my travels, how I spend my money, or where I want to stay.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

Why not just rent seasonal spots and not deal with ownership costs and responsibilities?

Gardens, hunting, fishing, firewood, off grid power/water.

The list goes on and on.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, own property in Northern Vermont, north central PA. and Lake Tahoe Nevada, full hook ups at all 3 properties. Use them as layovers when traveling.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

Why not just rent seasonal spots and not deal with ownership costs and responsibilities?

Gardens, hunting, fishing, firewood, off grid power/water.

The list goes on and on.

Good point, but I prefer to own. I intend to allow friends and family to also use these places. And they will be properties that I can pass down as well- hopefully allowing upcoming generations to enjoy them too.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

js218 wrote:

Yep, own property in Northern Vermont, north central PA. and Lake Tahoe Nevada, full hook ups at all 3 properties. Use them as layovers when traveling.

This is what I am thinking. I still want to travel, but would like to have places that I own for a variety of reasons.

May I ask what kind of issues you have experienced with the utilities- from initial emplacement to issues you may have had when you weren't present.
Are your sites more rural, semi-rural, etc?
Do you have neighbors/relatives watching over them while away?
Do you turn off utilities or just secure them when you aren't there? (I'm leaning toward the latter)

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No issues with utilities, Pa. site is 10 acres on a mountain top near Cross Forks Pa., Vermont site is 5 acres on a lake near Norton Vt., Lake Tahoe property is near Incline Village. Shut off the utilities when I'm gone, friends keep an eye on the properties when I'm gone which is almost always.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

This is what I am thinking. I still want to travel, but would like to have places that I own for a variety of reasons.

Maybe if you shared those reasons, it might make more sense.

While you may be able to afford it, there is still time and effort involved.

Also, I suspect you are being optimistic about how many friends and family will use the sites.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Despite the unnecessarily snarky reply, you should have read this part of the post as it is likely going to control what you can or cannot do.
Quote:

Each locality will be different. We were just in Co. Springs, CO and they passed a law limiting the amount of time an RV could stay on a lot, even if you were the owner of that lot. I suspect you will need to check with each location to ensure you don't end up going afoul of the law.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We actually did this, to a degree. Bought 20 acres in SE Missouri, near Mark Twain Forest. Virgin land, so we cleared about an acre of it. Hard work. In the end, we enjoyed full timing on it for a week or so at a time. I paid around $20k for the property -- yes, 20k. Sold it few years back for around 27k. Never had electricity, utilities of any kind. Was nice. Taxes around $70 per year. No, I didn't forget a zero.

We did not do it to the degree you want -- multiple locals around the country. But yes, thought about it.

I suggest landwatch.com -- they have tons of property from commercial to open land from lots to acres. This is where we found our 20 acre chunk...in the end though, about a year and half went by and we had not been to it. IT was fun, and if I could would do it again...desert this time?

Go for it.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 chassis
2000 Jeep Wrangler for a Dinghy w/ Invisibrake & Curt Tow Bar

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yuma, AZ. RV lots in the Foothills. We own one and of course spend the winter sitting there and since we are fulltimers, move north and shut down the lot for the summer. Most of the lots have 2-50 amp FHU's, one hookup on each side.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Fulltiming across the USA.............on your own land?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS