cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AARRGHH! Jesse may have anaplasmosis-UPDATE #2D

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
AARRGGHH! Had the dog's annual physicals done last Friday and Jesse tested positive for anaplasmosis. He's had it in the past so the vet is going to do blood work and a urinalysis to see if it's the old infection or a new one and to ensure it isn't causing any organ issues. He is not symptomatic in any way. We switched to Nexguard at the suggestion of the vet and we've seen a marked decrease in ticks on them but it only takes one. Stupid ticks!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
14 REPLIES 14

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Update #2:

Took Jesse for a bladder x-ray today and it was negative for stones as were his kidneys (phew!). Next step was to withdraw urine directly from the bladder with a needle (ouch!) to get a clean sample to test for either an infection that's either drug-resistant or they aren't using the right antibiotic. Will know in a week or so. I've read that some dogs that have been on a lot of antibiotics (he has) may develop these issues but the vet indicated she had never seen it. Didn't deny it could happen just that she's never come across it (she is fairly young however). If this urine test comes back negative then he has to go on a special diet to hopefully keep this from happening in the future. Can't wait to see what the special food costs! 🙂

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Jesse's thyroid is low so now he's on meds. He goes for a bladder x-ray on Monday to see if there are stones or a tumor. If that shows nothing then the next step may be an ultrasound. One step at a time.

I'll look into the Sawyers-it certainly can't hurt! Haven't seen ticks in a while though.

Douglas Adams

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry y'all are having pooch concerns, but I'm lovin' this thread because I'm learning a lot.

Crowe: I have hypersensitive skin too and don't have a problem with Sawyer's. I recommend you get a bottle and spray one sock, wear it around for a day and see what happens. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, they do make a difference. If you don't react, spray a 2nd sock and try both at once. If still no reaction, do some pants. Then add a shirt....

If you do react, you can still put the Sawyers on your outer layers such as long sleeved shirts, pants, jackets. Or sell it to a friend. It's great stuff.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I hope you get some resolution soon!

Me, too! They haven't called on the thyroid panel yet-I'm not sure how long it takes. Jesse seems fine so I'm not that concerned.

Douglas Adams

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I hope you get some resolution soon!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Jesse does NOT have Anaplasmosis. He has some "inflamed cells" in his urine. We are now checking his thyroid to see if that is the cause. Vet indicated it could also be a bladder infection or bladder tumor. He has no bacteria in his system but he is currently on Clavamox for a skin infection. This happened about 4 years ago as well, at the same time as another skin infection. Hoping the testing shows a thyroid issue and this turns out to be the cause so we don't have to x-ray or ultrasound his bladder. They are going in for canine influenza shots in a week and the vet will do another urine check to get a status. Oh, joy, I get to chase Jesse around with a cup again! :B

Douglas Adams

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
For YOU, my I suggest treating your clothing, particularly socks and pants, with permethrin?

I may give it a shot but I have hypersensitive skin that reacts to a lot of substances that in reality it shouldn't. What's happening is we'll take the dogs for a walk, come home then they will sit on the couch next to us. The ticks will crawl off of them and onto us, sometimes unseen. I check myself thoroughly but sometimes you just miss them.

Save the possums (they eat ticks)

LOL! Haven't seen any around yet. The critters are just starting to come back into the neighborhood now that the last house is just about built.

Douglas Adams

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Save the possums (they eat ticks)
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

dturm
naturist wrote:
Our fur baby contracted Ehrlichiosis several years ago (just one more of the dozen or so nasty diseases ticks carry), and although she was treated at the time, she still always tests positive, but shows no signs of the organism..

Our Sasha was supposed to have Ehrlichiosis when she left Turkey. A SNAP test showed positive and she was treated with Doxy, but never had clinical signs of disease.

We did a titer test to differentiate species of Ehrlichia (I wasn't as familiar with the species usually found in Turkey) and she tested negative. We either had a false positive on the SNAP test done before we got her, or she had exposure to the tick borne disease and never actually got the disease.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Our fur baby contracted Ehrlichiosis several years ago (just one more of the dozen or so nasty diseases ticks carry), and although she was treated at the time, she still always tests positive, but shows no signs of the organism.

Nexguard is good stuff. She's been on it for a couple years now, and ticks seem to leave her alone. For YOU, my I suggest treating your clothing, particularly socks and pants, with permethrin? Sawyer makes a 24 ounce spray bottle that will do 8 garments for about $15 from Dick's Sporting Goods, Home Depot, or Cabela's. Garments treated will eliminate ticks for 6 washings or about 6 weeks. I've been using it for over a year, and the only ticks I've picked up have been when NOT wearing those clothes. I live in tick heaven here, on 26 acres of woods and fields, and this stuff keeps me tick-free.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I had to read up on anaplasmos. Hope for a speedy recovery for Jesse. Will the vet treat it with doxycycline?

I am assuming if the secondary test shows positive then yes. He has no symptoms so it's possible that it's just leftovers from his first bout of it. I'm growing concerned about myself now-I've been bitten by two ticks over the past couple of weeks. I have no symptoms but am paranoid because we leave for our Alaskan vacation in a month! Because of this we are changing to boarding the boys at the vet's kennel rather than our normal kennel. We checked our their facility last week and it's very nice plus a whole lot smaller than the other one.

Douglas Adams

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I had to read up on anaplasmos. Hope for a speedy recovery for Jesse. Will the vet treat it with doxycycline?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry to hear this news.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad