Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Switch to houseboat?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Switch to houseboat?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check that houseboat’s payload!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would not work for me with a Collie. Morning and evening walks would be a challenge.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at Denton Ferry RV Parkon the White River 2nd week of June and a couple set up across the drive from us were in a cabin cruiser type boat. They just had a 3step folding ladder on the back to enter/exit and by the way they setup/closedup they camp in the boat often. First time I have seen this but may be more common along coast or Great Lakes area
When I was in business had a customer had a luxury houseboat on Lake O'Pines they lived full time in tied to a marina dock. This thing was huge, house AC system, beautiful boat. They just had dock rent & electric. Marina on CoE land so they didnt pay any property or school tax on this thing either.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TNGW1500SE wrote:

Has anyone ever considered switching to a houseboat? I'm getting tired of these 50 buck a night campground fees. Everyplace we go there's a nice lake to stay on free. W'd stay for a month or so. I'd have to pay for pump outs, maybe a launch fee or two, run a generator some but other than that, why not???? Once I sold the class A and put that down on the boat, the savings in CG fees would pay for the boat wouldn't it?

When all is said and done, in the long run, I can't think of any houseboat that would be cheaper to own/operate than a similar sized Class A motorhome of similar vintage. Now, . . . . . if you want to compare a houseboat to an aircraft, . . . . . you may have a valid point.

Chum lee

* This post was edited 07/02/19 02:05pm by Chum lee *

Expyinflight

Mesa, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some years ago friends of mine that had a houseboat always used the expression: BOAT= Break Out Another Thousand....every time they stepped aboard.

I suspect that 'thousand' figure is at least double or triple today.

2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no way its cheaper but "whatever floats your boat"

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$50 a night is about on the high end of average! You can find cheaper out there but you are going to get cheaper!

And if you’ve ever owned a boat, you are not going to save any money!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I grew up on boats. When I was young when school got out we would take off on the boat and not come back until school started back up. My dad and uncle used to build wood boats many years ago.
The last one they built was a 36' with a fly bridge. I had my own 16' glastron in a slip at the marina at 14. At 15 me and my best childhood friend stripped a 18' wood Thompson and many coats of varnish that thing was sweet. I got out of boating in my early 30s and switched to rving. We were burning 20 gal of fuel a hour. Marina overnight slip rates right now are as much or more than a campsite. I was always a DIY type and never had to spend big$$ on repairs.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We vacationed on a rental houseboat with three other couples on Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. It was a good time. BUT....

We used a lot of fuel for both the boat motor and the diesel generator. Cumberland, like many lakes in that region, is an impoundment with very steep, rocky banks and few level places to get off the boat, so you're on board for the duration. Our rental was 65' long and 15' wide. We saw privately owned boats that were floating palaces, up to 100' long and with three decks. A trailerable boat is of course much smaller and more restrictive.

Bottom line, it was fun, but it seemed like it would get tedious after a while. And no way is it cheaper than RVing.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were boaters back in the 90’s. With our 30’ cruiser, we travelled to the Bahamas in 1993 for 10 days Green Turtle Cay and Marsh Harbor. $45 a night at Green Turtle and $52 a night at Marsh Harbor. Fuel cost from NE Florida, $1800+. Until, 1997, every weekend on the St Johns and Nassau/St Mary’s River. No camp fees while River camping but fuel about $200 a weekend plus $150 a month docking fee. Camping is, by far a lot cheaper than boating.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Switch to houseboat?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS