cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do all campers leak ??????

sandmarv83
Explorer
Explorer
Strongly considering purchasing a pull behind camper but it seems everyone keeps their campers covered in some form or other.

Do they all leak?????
14 REPLIES 14

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup, will never leak when under a roof...that's fo sho!
But seriously, maintenance and care and exposure to the elements can either help or hurt your odds of having a leak.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingbob wrote:
I have had 14 in 35 yrs , never had any leaks .

Try averaging more than 3 years, might bee a different story.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
does a bear $H!+ in the woods?

they will all leak shortly after regular maintenance stops happening. that said there are a lot of 30 year old campers in much better shape than 2 year old campers for this same reason.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
UV from the sun causes EVERYTHING to deteriorate, and that can cause leaks. The main reason most people keep their RVs covered or under a roof somewhere is to minimize that sun damage and help prevent leaks, not because they already leak.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
One of the items mentioned throughout the RV.net forum to keep your roof from leaking, or to stop it from leaking, is using ETERNABOND tape. The last 2 RV's we bought (TT and then a Class C motorhome), 1st thing I did was eternabond all the seams on the roof....where the vents, etc, come thru the roof and where the cap (front end) meets the roof. Maybe overkill, but I would get leaks at those areas in the past and now...I fix it 1st.

Keep in mind, an RV -- be it trailer, motorhome or even a tent -- will leak if not kept up, as stated here in this thread. Even a house roof will leak. Don't worry -- buy it, enjoy it, and have fun.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Anything can and will leak if not maintained including a sick and brick home. Covering when not in use just makes the maintenance easier.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Those that say they never had leaks probably never removed screws to see the rust. I keep mine in a pole barn except when in use, but have found numerous rusted screws.

Screws

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
In three trailers over thirty years, I have had only one leak and that was in a cracked skylight
I check and maintain mine twice a year

Guy

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had 14 in 35 yrs , never had any leaks .

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Campers are a upside down boat
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

That is good, and true.

Do all campers leak? Of course they do if you don't maintain the seals, especially the roof seals. I keep my RV inside the barn all the time when not in use. Did that with my last one too. Amazing how well they hold up with a roof over their tops and they stay looking (and smelling ) new too.

The biggest mistake I see with RV's is letting them sit outside all the time and never checking the seals. The sun drys the seals out and then they leak and turn into junk.

Quite a few around me, all sitting outside, winter and summer, all potential leakers. Guy sown the road lets his sit with the slides out in mid winter..,..duh.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Campers are a upside down boat
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Campers CAN leak but not all actually do leak;

My last 3 campers have been water tight but then I do keep then in a barn
to protect them from the elements. The sun does a number on the rubber roof
so I prefer to protect the roof.

Also an annual maintenance of the roof is almost required.

If you find a camper that is covered, it may be a good sign that the owner
cares about their RV and may be in better condition to owners who leave them
outside.
Gerry

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy an RV you're gonna have to Maintain it and yes, unless you are a DIYer, you're gonna have to pay a penny, especially for labor. So this is the point where you ask yourself if you can take on another "bag of Expenses." UV rays and Oxidation are killers, it would be nice if I could keep My Moho tarped or covered at all times, especially in the S.Texas or Az or Nv sun, but CG's don't allow it, so yes get ready to recaulk every 6 moths to a yr, and reseal every yr to 2 yrs. If you're not a fulltimer and you keep your RV in a garage you may be able to extend the recaulking and resealing intervals.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
They all can leak. You need to keep up with the inspections and maintenance. The roof seems to be the most vulnerable area.
However, they can leak at other seams or around openings.

Most cover their RV to help keep it clean and protect it from sun damage. But a cover also helps keep it dry.
Don't let the possibility of a leak keep you from buying.