Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Weight Distributing Hitch BENT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Weight Distributing Hitch BENT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
DennyCrane

Surrey, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/19 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started to notice when hitching my trailer that I was not able to get an even number of links on each of the spring bars on my WDH; I might get 6 links on one side, and 8 on the other. Couldn't figure out why. Eventually I realized that the hitch itself is bent (pulled down on the drivers side). I have a picture but I can't figure out how to attach it via my phone. Will try from a computer later.

The hitch came with the trailer when I bought it privately last year. It's very old, but I can't imagine how this would happen. That's what I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with. I'm happy to go buy a new hitch, but I don't want the same thing to happen again. The hitch is rated for 10,000 lbs with the bars/5,000 without. My Springdale trailer weighs 4,300 lbs dry/6,500 loaded. I'm towing with a 2011 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L with a 1" lift in the front and airbags in the rear. I recently installed a Rease anti-sway bar.

Could inflating the air bags after the hitch/bars are on have caused something like this? A bad install of the sway bar? Too much tongue weight? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some hitches had a problem with interference with the ball shank if it was too long.

To clarify, the threaded part of the ball I call the shank. It is possible for excessive length to contact other parts causing damage. I sawed off the extra length on mine.

* This post was edited 07/02/19 10:15am by Lynnmor *

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bent hitch is a weak hitch. Replace it.
Get some spring bars this time that are rated for more than 6,500 pounds as in 7,000-8,000 pounds.
My last TT did not come with a WD hitch so I bought a Husky. It was less than $200 and does what it is supposed to.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure the receiver tube isn't bent first, so you know the problem occurred before you.
Then buy a new WDH or at least replacement parts. To bend a cast steel stinger or trunnion assembly/head would take some serious torque and would likely have damaged the receiver when it was done.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which part it bent? The hitch head? Or the bars? Or the shank?

Pretty unlikely to bend anything besides the bars from overloading, but interference certainly will do it. Definitely should figure it out before replacing it, so you don't end up with the same scenario.

I had trouble with my old hitch binding in tight turns, which was the primary reason I changed brands.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jackknife?

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some hitches require the weight distribution bars to be removed while backing up at severe angles.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

Some hitches require the weight distribution bars to be removed while backing up at severe angles.

It is usually suggested that friction sway bars be removed, never heard of that for the weight distribution bars.

DutchmenSport

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 trailers ago I discovered my old-style with chains on the bars, original Reese WDH hitch head was actually bent causing the ball to lean backwards. I never figured out why, except is must have been age and fatigue. Those hitches carry a LOT of stress you know. It was over 10 years old, even though I purchased it new. That's when I changed and went with an Equal-i-zer 4 point system and got away from the manual sway bar and the bars with chain links. It was a good decision. The Euqal-i-zer was so easy to hitch and unhitch.

FYI, just last week I gave that Equal-i-zer to a new friend that's purchasing his first TT. It should last him a long-long time. It become a paper weight in my garage since I now have a 5er and no need for it.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you try swapping the bars from side to side? They are spring bars after all; one might be a bit weaker than the other.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Weight Distributing Hitch BENT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS