Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Weight Distributing Hitch BENT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Weight Distributing Hitch BENT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
DennyCrane

Surrey, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, thank you for all the quick responses. I tried to embed the photos, but that didn't work. These links should work:

[image]

[image]

[image]

As you can see, it's clearly bent. In answer to some of your suggestions:
-The shank on the ball doesn't appear to be too long. Let me know what you think after looking at the pictures though.

-I checked the tube on the receiver and it looks level to me. That's a good suggestion though, as I recently found another issue where the exhaust pipe had pushed up the passenger side rear bumper. I had my mechanic look at it, and he says the whole exhaust system up to the cat it pushed towards the front of the vehicle. No scratches on the bumper or evidence of a hit though. A friend is wondering if the mechanic put it on the hoist wrong. Anyways, whatever happened there could have caused the received to go out of whack too, but it looks fine. Let me know what you think.

-It's the left side of the hitch head that is bent. And the ball is tilted as a result.

-Jacknife? Possibly. I've had to turn it pretty sharp a couple times. When I've gotten out to look it's never made contact, but I suppose it's possible (I didn't think it was). Any advice for this n00b would be greatly appreciated.

-Removing the bars? Never done that when backing up. As a subsequent reply noted, my understanding was that was only a concern with the sway bar. I usually take the sway bar off when backing up, but I will admit that once or twice I did not (though the turns were not sharp).

-This hitch looks really old. The bars have the chains on them.

-I'm not sure if I've swapped the bars or not (I don't pay attention to which side I put them on), but probably because I've been on several trips this year and I've probably hooked and unhooked my trailer about 10 times this year.
Moderator edit to fix picture links.

* This post was last edited 07/02/19 01:16pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DennyCrane wrote:

***Link Removed***https://photos.app.goo.gl/U5mz3t5qQHr1M97e6
***Link Removed***https://photos.app.goo.gl/K5DcBQKXYocT5Ut46
***Link Removed***https://photos.app.goo.gl/doE7t3eY6h1CscoX8

You probably can't post links yet with a new account.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U5mz3t5qQHr1M97e6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K5DcBQKXYocT5Ut46
https://photos.app.goo.gl/doE7t3eY6h1CscoX8

That sucker is bent! It looks like someone turned left while cresting a sharp hill, forcing the trailer coupler against the left side top. That or something really pried down on the left WD bar.

DennyCrane

Surrey, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for linking them for me

Possibly a sharp turn going into a parking-lot that had an incline? Assuming this is what I did, how would I avoid situations like that in future? Like I said, I know I need a new hitch, but I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars only to have the same thing happen within a year.

* This post was edited 07/02/19 01:18pm by an administrator/moderator *

DennyCrane

Surrey, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

That or something really pried down on the left WD bar.
Do you think that by inflating the airbags AFTER the bars are on could have caused this? I've read lots of debate online about whether you should even use airbags AND a WDH; some say either/or, some say it's fine for the right reasons (air to deal with weight in the tow vehicle, not tongue weight sag from the trailer); others say the air will help level it. Those that said both are fine suggested filling the air AFTER the bars were on, but now this has me wondering.

Is it possible to put too much tension on the bars (hooking up too many links)?

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adding air to bags after the bars are on would only make them loosen. I don't see how that would bend anything but will add that I would be in the "fill them first" camp. Once your vehicle suspension is set where it is, you install the bars to reapply weight to the front axle. If you air up after setting up the hitch, the rear will rise and lessen the WD effect.

I would think too much tension would be noticed as poor performance way before it could damage the components.

With your new hitch installed, see if you can find places that have severe breakover angles and then have someone watch as you ease onto them while turning sharp. Then you will have a feel for what may be too much before something hits. If you find yourself needing into somewhere tighter than that, disconnect the bars to complete the turn.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Retired JSO wrote:

Some hitches require the weight distribution bars to be removed while backing up at severe angles.

It is usually suggested that friction sway bars be removed, never heard of that for the weight distribution bars.

x2

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I look at the pic I see near the small ball a mark in the bent plate. Bet if you look at tongue of trailer you will have a matching mark. At some point cutting the trailer to the right side you jackknifed to tight...

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

When I look at the pic I see near the small ball a mark in the bent plate. Bet if you look at tongue of trailer you will have a matching mark. At some point cutting the trailer to the right side you jackknifed to tight...

Yup. This^

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

newman fulltimer

louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You had the anti sway to tight took a sharp right turn and twisted the ball on the anti sway

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm wondering if you might straighten that out (mostly) with the ball removed and using a large hydraulic press. At least to a useable state.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Weight Distributing Hitch BENT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS