Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Weight Distributing Hitch BENT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Weight Distributing Hitch BENT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DennyCrane wrote:

Am I over thinking it?

Yes.

The shop will look at the same charts that are available to you. Use the correct hitch per the chart, you already know to not go heavier or lighter than specified. Hitches have simple instructions and videos are available online.

DennyCrane

Surrey, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to close the loop on this, I had my appointment at the hitch shop this morning and had a a Curt Trutrack Trunnion Bar System with built in sway control installed. It was only a short trip home, but there was absolutely no bounce at all. So far, so good.

Thanks for all your input. The tech didn't have much more to offer as far as reasons for the bent hitch than you guys already did. Really appreciate the help.

Cheers

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Retired JSO wrote:

Some hitches require the weight distribution bars to be removed while backing up at severe angles.

It is usually suggested that friction sway bars be removed, never heard of that for the weight distribution bars.

The people who sell them say it’s a good idea.
E-Trailer

Should Spring Bars Be Removed when Backing Up with a Weight Distribution System

Question:
Is there any issues with backing-up and making sharp cuts with weight distribution sway control RP66084 installed
asked by: Don D
Expert Reply:
With any weight distribution system you will want to remove the spring bars every time you encounter any tight maneuvering situation. So if you were reversing your trailer and the trailer did not swing too far to one side or the other you should be fine, but I still would recommend you disconnect the bars under most normal reversing circumstances just to be safe.

expert reply by: Jameson C
Jameson C
ASK THE EXPERTS A QUESTION >>

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Retired JSO wrote:

Some hitches require the weight distribution bars to be removed while backing up at severe angles.

It is usually suggested that friction sway bars be removed, never heard of that for the weight distribution bars.

The people who sell them say it’s a good idea.
E-Trailer

Should Spring Bars Be Removed when Backing Up with a Weight Distribution System

Question:
Is there any issues with backing-up and making sharp cuts with weight distribution sway control RP66084 installed
asked by: Don D
Expert Reply:
With any weight distribution system you will want to remove the spring bars every time you encounter any tight maneuvering situation. So if you were reversing your trailer and the trailer did not swing too far to one side or the other you should be fine, but I still would recommend you disconnect the bars under most normal reversing circumstances just to be safe.

expert reply by: Jameson C
Jameson C
ASK THE EXPERTS A QUESTION >>

The RP66084 is a dual cam type WDH, not a friction sway control. There is nothing in the manufacturers instructions about removing spring bars prior to backing up.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The alleged "expert" at etrailer is wrong on the Reese dual cam 66084 WDH. Doesn't matter if you are moving forward or backing up, all the happens is the "crooks" in the ends of the bars ride up on the cams. There is friction between the bar ends and the cams which is part of how it works but the direction of movement has zero impact.

I would hate having to remove the spring bars before backing up and would mean blocking the road in a CG while you do that.

I have been backing up with our Reese DC for years. It can be quite noisy when going forward or reversing when doing tight turns and there'll be LOUD pop/bang sounds. Can be startling to people nearby! [emoticon]

[image]

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I remove my WD bars is when I park at home.. I have to navigate a steep driveway and basically jack the trailer into it's position..

I have just your basic Eaz-Lift WD bar and chain setup and always take them off before I park it at home.

Backing into the sites I go to are usually straight and level, so no need to remove anything. I don't use a friction 'sway' thing, so no worries there..

Anyway, if I left my WD bars set and backed up my home storage spot, I would see that kind of damage to my hitch too for sure...

Just gotta know what you are doing and where you are going and determine your choices from there.. No one has the same parking circumstances as the other, so we all have to adjust accordingly.

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Weight Distributing Hitch BENT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS