Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Nightmare experience with RV service center
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camping World Service and Inst...

Open Roads Forum  >  Camping World Service and Installation

> Nightmare experience with RV service center

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Oklahoma Dan

Owasso

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/19 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tobydad wrote:

Any consumer should get a written estimate before any work is done on your home, car, or motorhome. If they charge for diagnostics that charge should be in writing before any diagnosing is done. Getting several estimates before work is done is common sense. Then you can choose which company is to do the work. Getting scammed apparently is part of life lately and getting back at the scammer is, I think, the correct thing to do.

CW should have provided upfront a documented estimate on the hourly charge for diagnostics and permission to proceed with requested diagnosis if that is really what was needed. Of course have the customer sign the document and provide him with a copy. That would have been in order. Customer needed to know from the very first that there would be a charge for an estimate. May I add that this estimate should have been conducted in the driveway of CW taking no more than 15 or 20 minutes. It was a request for an ESTIMATE. This is not rocket science and did not make it necessary to leave the RV there at CW in the first place. I don't know who the manager is in charge of this CW location but a Performance Review is definitely in order. To sit on an RV for weeks at a time and not doing anything on it is crazy. Refund the money this fellow paid.

* This post was edited 07/04/19 08:04am by Oklahoma Dan *

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an attorney, may I offer some advice?
1. Be certain that in the state you recorded your conversations that it is a "one party permission" state. That is, only one person in the conversation has to grant permission for the conversation to be recorded. You can grant permission to record yourself and the conversation. Otherwise, your recordings are evidence that you violated law for which you could be prosecuted.
2. Carefully review any documents you were given and perhaps signed when you left your RV. They should outline any charges for estimates and diagnostics. Absent any paperwork outlining charges, many states prohibit assessing any charges until permission is obtained.
3. From your description, nothing was diagnosed, which is the identification of a problem and solution (repair) to the problem. They merely identified a problem.
4. If you have documentation that no charges were authorized and state law supports that, and if state law allows for one party permission to record, you have a good potential to recover your losses.

I am sorry you had this happen to you, and you may just chalk it up to a life experience. While $600 is a lot of money, it may not be enough to let it consume you and interfere with enjoying what life has to offer and your new RV.

JohnHoward28

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys. I want to apologize for my outburst. I was very emotional yesterday. One of the main reason I bought this RV was to travel up North to spend some time with my sister and brother-in-law that was fighting cancer. They live in an efficiency apartment and have no room for me, so I needed my own place to stay in. My brother-in-law died suddenly four days ago. Now, I will never see him again. All, because I took my RV to this con-artist that wasted a whole month and held my RV hostage until I paid a ransom of $600.

I am very angry and emotional right now.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/19 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for your loss.

Oklahoma Dan

Owasso

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/19 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alot of people are watching this conversation to see if CW is going to make this right.

JohnHoward28

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

As an attorney, may I offer some advice?
1. Be certain that in the state you recorded your conversations that it is a "one party permission" state. That is, only one person in the conversation has to grant permission for the conversation to be recorded. You can grant permission to record yourself and the conversation. Otherwise, your recordings are evidence that you violated law for which you could be prosecuted.
2. Carefully review any documents you were given and perhaps signed when you left your RV. They should outline any charges for estimates and diagnostics. Absent any paperwork outlining charges, many states prohibit assessing any charges until permission is obtained.
3. From your description, nothing was diagnosed, which is the identification of a problem and solution (repair) to the problem. They merely identified a problem.
4. If you have documentation that no charges were authorized and state law supports that, and if state law allows for one party permission to record, you have a good potential to recover your losses.

I am sorry you had this happen to you, and you may just chalk it up to a life experience. While $600 is a lot of money, it may not be enough to let it consume you and interfere with enjoying what life has to offer and your new RV.

Here is the issue. They do have a sign on the wall that says they charge $145 an hour. I am fine with that. I think it is insanely high, but the sign also says that they do not charge based on actual hours, but based on a set price in some book the CW puts out (I can't remember what the name was). So each repair is charged according to a preset fee that is based in the expected hours to perform that repair by a certified technician that knows exactly what they are doing and that has all the special tools necessary immediately available to them.

The issue is not what they charged, it is what I got in return for what they charged. I agreed to pay them to give me "ESTMATES" for the cost of the repairs. I asked for estimates on four different occasions and was never given a single number. But on three occasions, the rep asked me if I would authorize them to do the repairs, even one time insisting that I had done so, even though just three days prior, I had emphatically responded, "Absolutely NOT!" to this question. I believe the salesman was intentionally trying to wear me down and get me so desperate that I would write them a blank check and let them fill in the amount. I think the whole broken windshield wiper thing was just another last-ditch effort to take advantage of my desperation to get the RV to inspected and get me to authorize them to do repairs on the RV.

At no point did they ever render to me the service I agreed to pay for, which was to give me "ESTMATES" for the cost to repair the three items I told them about. This was the only thing I authorized them to do. Not only did they not give me a single estimate, they never even provide me with a detail of exactly what was wrong that needed to be fixed. So, if the $600 for diagnostic, what did they find out? Their diagnostic sheet contains that same words I used when I dropped the RV off, which basically says that "Something" is wrong", but not "WHAT" is wrong.

This CW is run by shysters, plain and simple. They are used to rich people with more time than money dropping their fancy new RV off, writing them a blank check and saying, "Just Fix it. I don't care what it cost."

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently took our long undriven motorhome to a local highly recommended independent Auto and RV service and explained in writing exactly what I wanted done and asked for a detailed estimate before proceeding with the work. They told me up front that the detailed inspection would cost me $256 and would be included in the total bill. I received a detailed estimate via e-mail in two days. I questioned their proposed installation of Toyo tires, checked around and verified that the tires were as good as the popular brand, then gave them the go-ahead for the entire package. I got the rig back in a few days and am confident that the extensive/expensive work was done properly based on the good reputation of the shop and recommendations that I had been given.

Good Sam Care Team

Everywhere

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I am closing this topic due to lack of activity. Thank you for your time and participating. Please feel free to open a new thread on this topic in the future if you wish.

Thank you,
Ella
Good Sam Care Team

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camping World Service and Installation

> Nightmare experience with RV service center
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camping World Service and Inst...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.