Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Front bedroom height?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Front bedroom height?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
memilanuk

Dry side of the Cascades

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was doing some 'research' today on various shorter (< ~30 ft) fifth wheel trailers, kind of compiling a list of likely models, and taking some notes about specific features that sounded interesting.

One model/series, the Dutchmen Aerolite/Astoria line, mentions the following in the promo blurb:

Quote:

Tallest Bedroom Height in Mid-Pro Fifth Wheel Segment

The Astoria delivers a long list of standard features to elevate your RV travel, including the tallest bedroom height in the mid-pro fifth wheel segment

Unfortunately, I can't see where they say what the ceiling height actually *is*.

Being 6'4", the usual ~72-74" ceiling height, combined with the raised platforms alongside the bed, of most small to mid size 5'ers has always been something that bugged me. Certainly not a deal breaker, but all things equal, I'd prefer one I don't have to 'remember' to not stand up all the way.

Besides the Astoria, anyone know of other models/lines that tend towards taller ceiling heights? Mostly just curious - if we find a model that checks all the other boxes and the ceiling is a fuzz low, well, it is what it is.

redhooker

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your ceiling height in a front bedroom model is limited by the 13.5 ft max trailer height combined with the required clearance of your truck bed rails. So it is pretty easy to tell interior bedroom ceiling height by looking at the outside of the trailer. You either want a complete flat roof line like on many toy haulers or one that climbs toward the front and is flat to the cap. Any slope approaching the cap costs headroom.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just sold my 5er because of the low ceiling and the 3 steps.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look for rear bedroom 5ers.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

memilanuk

Dry side of the Cascades

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

Look for rear bedroom 5ers.

Note the part where I'm looking at small, as in =< 30 ft.

Find me a rear BR floor plan in that size fifth wheel trailer, of *any* make or model.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at the Northwood Grande Rhonde 27-5L? 29'-9"

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/19 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm only 6'3" and have had to duck under most stuff.. My feet hang over most beds.. In my little TT, I have to duck to go out the door or hit my head.. I just barely clear the ceiling as it is.. I can't even fit in the shower, so it's a large storage closet now.

My head hits the ceiling on my folks 5th wheel too, but it's just hitting... [emoticon]

And it's a full size 32', #12,000 GVWR 5ver that I would never want to own.. ha, ha..

Anyway, good luck with it all...

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

memilanuk

Dry side of the Cascades

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

It's on the list... under "I wish"!

Sadly, that little porker would put my '12 F250 CCSB 4x4 over the limit on *several* ratings. Kinda crazy to need that much carrying capacity for that small of a trailer.

I wasn't aware that they had good headroom as well as everything else that they bring to the table?

memilanuk

Dry side of the Cascades

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

I'm only 6'3" and have had to duck under most stuff.. My feet hang over most beds.. In my little TT, I have to duck to go out the door or hit my head.. I just barely clear the ceiling as it is.. I can't even fit in the shower, so it's a large storage closet now.

Yikes. Our current TT, a Cougar 28RLSWE, is pretty good as far as head room, other than the door going from the walk-thru bathroom to the main living area. Definitely gotta duck to clear that one. As for the feet hanging over the bed... I got used to that back in the Navy, on submarines. At least my feet *can* hang over the end; beats the heck out of having to sleep in the fetal position in a coffin bunk [emoticon]

Quote:

My head hits the ceiling on my folks 5th wheel too, but it's just hitting... [emoticon]

The trials and tribulations of being a full-sized adult in a world of midgets [emoticon]

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memilanuk wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

It's on the list... under "I wish"!

Sadly, that little porker would put my '12 F250 CCSB 4x4 over the limit on *several* ratings. Kinda crazy to need that much carrying capacity for that small of a trailer.

I wasn't aware that they had good headroom as well as everything else that they bring to the table?

In the video on their web site for the 27-5L the guy doing the walk through says he's 6'2" when he standing in the shower. In the bedroom it looks like 6'4" would just touch right at the front shirt wards. FWIW

Anyway are you looking new or used?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Front bedroom height?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS