cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi extender - Alfa Camp Pro 2 OR ANOTHER

SteveWoz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to embark on a 3-week family motorhome trip and I'm considering purchasing a WiFi extender for the sanity it may preserve while traveling with a 17-year-old.

First, I'm interested in opinions about whether this is a good investment. Second, I'm specifically looking at the Alfa Camp Pro 2 for about $135. Does anyone have any experience with this unit or CAN YOU RECOMMEND ANOTHER UNIT that isn't too much more expensive?

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
It's generally best to provide your own wifi via cellular.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Correct. Try the WiFi in the office or next to one of their antennas and do a speed test.

If itโ€™s crapppy there, the extender wonโ€™t help.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
And don't forget the wifi extenders may get you better access to the campground wifi, but if that wifi is painfully slow, then all the extenders in the world won't do you any good.

My experience has been if you have trouble accessing the campground wifi, when you can connect it will be slow, because it's a low priority for the campground. Which is why you have trouble connecting in the first place.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
if the wifi network you are trying to connect to uses a web browser sign-in function for its guests to utilize their WiFi you will have trouble getting the extenders to work.
It is much like when you go to Starbucks and connect, but need to accept the Terms and Conditions on a web browser before being granted access to the Web.
there have been other discussions about this there may be a workaround for it but i have not tried yet.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
SteveWoz wrote:
CAN YOU RECOMMEND ANOTHER UNIT that isn't too much more expensive?
No, because the cheap ones don't work.

This one works.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Going to follow this one. Had very poor WIFI this weekend and DW was going crazy without her Facebook. Not my thing but we all know Happy Wife Happy Life.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
May increase range but wonโ€™t increase band width.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad