cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to me... UPDATE!!!

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
OK, took the plunge and purchased a Pit Boss 700FB pellet grill/smoker yesterday. I have tried gas grills, have charcoal grill and smoker and have been interested in trying a pellet grill for a long time.
I got the Pit Boss on sale, less than half the price of a Trager, and if I decide pellet cooking is not for me, I don't have a lot invested.

I fired it up and did a good test burn, using the smoke setting and a flame/sear, high heat setting. I will do some real cooking tomorrow and then smoke about 12 Cornish hens Friday. We will see how everything turns out.....
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"
13 REPLIES 13

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, promised update. I fired up the Pit Boss yesterday to smoke/cook 12 Cornish hens. I loaded pellets in the hopper and per instructions set control on "smoke" setting. Placed the hens on the rack and they filled it up. I left it on smoke sitting for about 4 hours, the thermometer in the lid held steady at 200 degrees. I checked the temp of the meat and all of the chickens had internal temp of 140. I cracked the control knob up one setting and the meat hit 165 degrees internal in about an hour. Pulled them off and let them set til cool. Tender and moist, all were eaten or went home with family. Satisfied so far.....
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am also a pellet smoker and the DW & I both love it. We've found that Sam's has the best price on pellets, but they do leave a lot of ash and you need to vacuum the fire box out every four or so burns.
And with the pellet smoker we found that when cooking, throw on a couple extra of whatever you are smoking. Put the extra in a seal-a-meal/foodsaver or such and freeze. After a day of driving and pulling into a site for the night, pop the frozen bag into the microwave and you have a meal that taste like you just smoked it. Tender and juicy!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck! Hope you're the hit of the 4th party.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
Super Dave, mine will set on a open deck, I did buy the Pit Boss cover for it. Living here in Arkansas, humidity is a real problem, so I will empty my hopper between uses. No need to take chances and it just takes a couple of minutes. I assumed the temp gauge would be off, and the fire pit in the center of the grill would mean I would be rotating meat if I really load it to smoke. Twelve Cornish hens will be a good test.
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My Pit Boss is on my back patio under a patio cover. I've never emptied the hopper. If your smoker is in a location that isn't covered, use a smoker/grill cover.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Red, still learning on my Pit Boss but find the grate temps to vary quite a bit throughout the smoker. It requires moving or rotating the meat periodically. The temp probe on the side of the box can be dramatically off from the center of the smoker where the fire box is. I don't recommend using it as a set it and forget it smoker. Food turns out great but pay attention during the smoke.

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
The leftover pellets down in the Auger swelled up enough to seize it

Yep! If they get wet they swell up to several times their normal size and will jam up the works. It is a PITA to clean out. It's even more fun if it's winter and they are frozen - ask me how I know!
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
blownstang, the owners manual for mine clearly states to empty hopper and run the anger to clear out any unused pellets. I will report back...
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
Bigred, bought mine at Walmart. Our store is one of the smaller stores, and I think they were just clearing out most of the outdoor/patio stuff to start making room for Fall and Christmas items. It was the last one they had in stock. They had three of the larger Copperhead model and a couple of the smaller 300's left in stock. You might check Walmart online they might be marked down there. Mine was $297.00 yesterday....

Big red, thanks for your service, I assume you served in Vietnam. Have a great Fourth of July!!!!!!
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure and report back. I was just about to buy a PitBoss from Lowes and a buddy mine had trouble with his. The leftover pellets down in the Auger swelled up enough to seize it and they wouldn't warranty it as they expect it cleaned out all the time (So, he tells me). This guy also has a Traeger and he has never had an issue. I want one to try, but not enough to spring for a Traeger.

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
If you like real BBQ, I think you will like the pellet smoker. I have both a Pit Boss Copperhead 7 on the patio and a Green Mountain Davy Crockett that lives in a storage compartment of the motorhome.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Academy for199.00 from 300

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Are they still on sale and where are they on sale?