cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Tank on my Minnie. Should I replace it?

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
So I went to get my propane tank filled, but the guy said the valve is not up to date and he would not fill it. When I looked at the tank, it looks kind of rough on the outside. Maybe putting a potential bomb underneath the RV where is would be exposed to road salt and grime and the potential violent impact was not the best idea. LOL!

Anyway, here is a picture. What do you think? Should I just get the valve updated or replace the whole tank?

I can't seem to get the image to show up so here A direct link to it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwvxnq8kcavzz63/20190702_175600.jpg?dl=0
1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R
16 REPLIES 16

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks good, although I think I might have made new labels for "Vapor" and "Fill" using a home office label maker...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work! It does look like new...and I'm sure still performs like new.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
Well. Got it all cleaned up. Looks like new. Thanks guys.

BEFORE

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
A handful of years ago, we were in line at a Flying J waiting to get propane for our Class C. The folks in front of us had an older Class A. The employee came out to fill his tank and told him the valve was too rusty. The RV owner challenged that he knew the tank was rusty, but he didn't have a problem in the past filling the tank. The employee called the manager and they filled it without issue.

I honestly think in situations like yours, some people are either afraid to try, don't know how to use an adapter or just aren't thinking straight. The Flying J by our house that we use to fill Propane tanks and cylinders has an assortment of adapters to fill different Propane tanks and cylinders.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same old song.....I've been told twice need to have a new date certification tag and valve replaced by propane "dude". I finally printed off a copy of the ASME tank guidelines (Google it) that specifically states "does not apply to motorhomes!" Only for travel trailers and portable DOT tanks....I now keep this in the cab of my RV for whomever wants to insist that I need a new certification. This dude stated "Well I have a diesel pusher and had to have mine replaced"....someone told him he needed it re-certified and only a special truck shop could replace the valve and it was 90 miles away. I showed him my paperwork and he filled my tank. Visually, yes, paint your tank but nothing else is needed.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Wire brush and paint. Your tank is an ASME tank not under the same rules as portable DOT cylinders, yours doesnโ€™t expire, it is just subject to visual inspection.

Exactly......

Find another propane vendor cause that one has head up dark hole.

X2. Get another vendor. This guy doesn't know what he is doing and
shouldn't be trusted. All he knows about are "cylinders" which are used on travel trailers. You have an ASME "tank". Totally different.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good maintenance would have corrected that rust etc. sooner,...wire brush, paint, new valve IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong with the tank or valve. It would look better if you removed the rust and painted it, but thatโ€™s up to you. As mentioned, find a more knowledgeable propane dealer.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Use this to post pictures:
link

Thanks

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Use this to post pictures:
link
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris Bryant wrote:
Wire brush and paint. Your tank is an ASME tank not under the same rules as portable DOT cylinders, yours doesnโ€™t expire, it is just subject to visual inspection.

Exactly......

Find another propane vendor cause that one has head up dark hole.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
jungleexplorer wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Wire brush it, paint it and have a new OPD valve installed and call it good.

Awesome. Thanks. Can I change the valve or do they require that to be done by a certified propane technician?

On a side note, how do I post pictures here? I have tried linking to DropBox, Flicker, and Google Photos. None of them show up.

Has to be done by a 'qualified' propane supplier. Interestingly, I get my (bottle) (tank) filled by the same company that fills my 1000 gallon bottle I heat my home with and he has various OPD valves in the shop to fit about anything made. Done a couple refits and he's never charged me a cent.

Don't believe you can buy them anyway unless you are in that business. never seen them at least.

Thanks. I have a 250 gal Nurse tank for my home, so I can fill the RV bottle myself when at home. I already do it for my 20lb grill and RV bottles, so I should never have to go to a supplier. I just got worried when I saw the rough shape of the tank itself.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
jungleexplorer wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Wire brush it, paint it and have a new OPD valve installed and call it good.

Awesome. Thanks. Can I change the valve or do they require that to be done by a certified propane technician?

On a side note, how do I post pictures here? I have tried linking to DropBox, Flicker, and Google Photos. None of them show up.

Has to be done by a 'qualified' propane supplier. Interestingly, I get my (bottle) (tank) filled by the same company that fills my 1000 gallon bottle I heat my home with and he has various OPD valves in the shop to fit about anything made. Done a couple refits and he's never charged me a cent.

Don't believe you can buy them anyway unless you are in that business. never seen them at least.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB