Video of why 1/2 tons shouldn’t tow 5th wheels

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
19 REPLIES 19

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
Better to have too much truck than not enough truck.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
eurojet wrote:
I have been on a CAT scale and my pin weight after subtracting drive Axle with 5ER connected from just truck is 1660 pounds This was also with my old B&W Patrot hitch and not my new Pullrite Superlite which is a lot lighter
also my trailer weights 9540 pounds loaded so that would put me at 17.4% of a pin weight if i am doing my math correct

So I have a 2018 Crusader 30bh Pulled by a 2018 F150 3.5l eco SuperCrew with 3.31 rear end , 6.5' box
payload from Door sticker is 1812#
as per Fords 2018 towing guide my truck can town a 5er weighing max 10300# with a GCWR of 16100#

so my combination seems to work
GCWR is 15400#
payload/pin weight 1660# 17.4% pin weight
trailer weight is 9540#
Im even under my trailers GCWR UVW + CCC
My only measurement that was over was my Drive axle maximum weight i was over by 460#s , one of the reasons why i switched hitches and I removed so unnecessary things I dont use camping and also instead of using the residential queen spring mattress I bought a lighter Memory foam , I was also carrying 2 tool boxes one in my bed and one in the trailer , i have removed the Bed tool box so I can say i am maybe at this point only 200# over my rear axle ratings i do need to weight this new set up, but even if i am over my axle rating by 200# i am not worried

Clicky

Am I missing anyhting?

Well I would say no you haven't.
#1 You are weight aware, and working to stay close too ratings.

I am a firm believer that even over weight, towing a 5er is far more stable than a TT. I have never condoned towing over weight, even when I was doing it myself. No doubt that your 5er tows well, just watch your tire and wheel ratings.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Roscopcoletrain
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, JD is a real knowledgeable fella. Chinookman sums him up pretty good.
16 Keystone Springdale 270LE

Chinookman01
Explorer
Explorer
BTBRV has been around for a long time.
He drives a F450 and does extensive reviews of different trucks and RV rigs.
He recently test drove the new Ram 3500 HD truck with aobut 30k as one of the many invited by Ram to test drive the new rigs.
If you listen to his presentation he does make some generalities, it's impossible to be perfectly specific because each truck varies based on its options. The 1/2 Chevy tow ratings compared to the 1/2 ton towable 5vr touched upon the marketing hype of the RV industry and how the owner must take responsibility to make sure his truck has the capacity.
My Tundra is rated at 9800 lbs.
Yet out 33' TT Outback Ultralight at only 7.8k pushed the truck around like crazy around the LsGrange area, Schulenburg area. When it came to towing my tractor it is at 10.6k.
Yet read the Tundra forums those folks brag about 5vr towing with all the rear end mods to do it.
Now I have a F250 6.2l and it does all it needs with ease and the long frame makes towing the TT a non-event, even the tractor.
So no it is not a troll thread nor a troll video.
Visit his channel and see he does a good job of reviewing so many products all related to trucks and RVs.
Really surprised a the shallow comments and lack of any wisdom.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
eurojet wrote:
I have been on a CAT scale and my pin weight after subtracting drive Axle with 5ER connected from just truck is 1660 pounds This was also with my old B&W Patrot hitch and not my new Pullrite Superlite which is a lot lighter
also my trailer weights 9540 pounds loaded so that would put me at 17.4% of a pin weight if i am doing my math correct

So I have a 2018 Crusader 30bh Pulled by a 2018 F150 3.5l eco SuperCrew with 3.31 rear end , 6.5' box
as per Fords 2018 towing guide my truck can town a 5er weighing max 10300# with a GCWR of 16100#

GCWR is 15400#
trailer weight is 9540#
My only measurement that was over was my Drive axle maximum weight i was over by 460#s , one of the reasons why i switched hitches and I removed so unnecessary things I dont use camping and also instead of using the residential queen spring mattress I bought a lighter Memory foam , I was also carrying 2 tool boxes one in my bed and one in the trailer , i have removed the Bed tool box so I can say i am maybe at this point only 200# over my rear axle ratings i do need to weight this new set up, but even if i am over my axle rating by 200# i am not worried

https://primetimerv.com/fifth-wheels/crusader-lite/30BH/1722

Am I missing anyhting?

Do you travel alone? If not, then your SO/partner's weight needs to be subtracted from your payload.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
All the video shows is why that 1/2 ton shouldn't tow that FW.

Too many variables with packages and model years to get hung up on 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton.

eurojet
Explorer
Explorer

GCWR is 15400#
trailer weight is 9540#

https://primetimerv.com/fifth-wheels/crusader-lite/30BH/1722

Am I missing anyhting?

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Great information.... something I've been screaming about for years. There are TWO numbers. Can the truck pull the weight? Can the truck carry the weight?

Manufacturers of trucks just focus on one of those numbers and it really does a disservice to those folks who just take everything that comes on the TV at face value (this could digress into an whole political rant but I don't want to get banned :)) Anyway, yes, good info and please encourage people to look at ALL of the numbers on their truck and trailer.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
He's not a vehicle or RV salesman. He's a self anointed YouTube expert who has garnered enough followers (AKA Sheep), who has attracted the attention of truck and RV aftermarket sellers that provide him with a plethora of free **** which he then "reviews". I believe his real job is a 911 dispatcher. So no way he can afford all the toys, trucks, modifications and **** he installs and "reviews".
Obviously his channel is popular enough that hundreds(maybe thousands) flock to his videos to listen to him pontificate and babble on about topics that he thinks he knows all the while being entertained by videos of the camera shooting out the windshield of his newest truck filming his ride driving down roads. He trades trucks like a normal person changes socks.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
The OP opening should have read why the std duty 1500 truck in the video can't tow this particular 5th wheel trailer.
Troll thread and a troll video.

Exactly. He made a general statement and then chose a medium size 30' 5er to back up his claims knowing it would be over the truck rating. And even while making the claims, he admits there are much smaller lighter 5ers that are 1/2 ton towable. That 5er probably should not be advertised as 1/2 ton towable. But on the other hand, there may be some few 1/2 tons with ratings adequate for that particular 5er.

He is obviously against it and using carefully chosen parameters to support his viewpoint. Another salesman telling you what he wants you to hear.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
The OP opening should have read why the std duty 1500 truck in the video can't tow this particular 5th wheel trailer.

Thank You!
Just because this truck is overloaded with this trailer, it does not follow that the truck can pull no trailer, or no truck can pull this trailer.
And about the pin weight issue; Back in the '70s had half load of some styrofoam products on a semi-trailer. Loaded back half of the trailer with produce. KC to Circle, double handful of seat, both hands on the wheel any time not shifting gears.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
OK, first off...
I'm not a fan of half-tons towing 5er's. Like a political stance...you're not going to change my mind on that

Next...
I don't like this guys videos because he mainly just talks to talk, and you never see his face. Can't trust someone that's afraid to show their face LOL

But really...
Why do we keep hearing the same old tired statement that 5er's are ALWAYS going to be 20% to 25% pin weight? Maybe that's true for some models, and perhaps it was a good rule of thumb 10-20 years ago. But you see what they're doing with 5er's now...the way they move the axles forward? That's how they're making these things theoretically "half-ton" towable. But for such an "expert", why does this guy choose to make such statements when you can go straight to the manufacturer's website and see that the reported pin weight is 1,443 pounds?

Most manufacturers reported pin weight is an empty pin weight.
My old (2010) Montana's pin weight was over 1000 lbs heavier loaded than non loaded. Why so much? It had double pane windows, washing machine in the bedroom, 4 door fridge, 4 6v golf cart batteries, king size bed, heavy tool box in storage, propane generator, plus I swear DW hid the kitchen sink in their somewhere along with 500 lbs of "girls stuff", her sewing machine itself gave you ape arms!
OK 500 lbs may be slightly over, but you get the point.

Yes I was within legal weight limits on my 1 ton truck, but barely.
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag 🙂

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like the gift of gab.