cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bent hitch.....?

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
So I traded in my 5th wheel for a small travel trailer.... Come to find out the receiver (which i last used years ago for my old TT) had gotten beat up a bit (and rusty)- I can no longer slide the receiver bolt to hold the hitch in the receiver because the holes for the safety chains look like they are bent out?? (why I dunno?)- it looks like some pretty strong metal- Any way to bent the area where the holes for the safety chains back?- I will try and post a pic- I got around this by using a smaller bolt to hold the hitch on- (I don't want to keep doing that since it's not as strong)
6 REPLIES 6

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
huskyfan68 wrote:
So I traded in my 5th wheel for a small travel trailer.... Come to find out the receiver (which i last used years ago for my old TT) had gotten beat up a bit (and rusty)- I can no longer slide the receiver bolt to hold the hitch in the receiver because the holes for the safety chains look like they are bent out?? (why I dunno?)- it looks like some pretty strong metal- Any way to bent the area where the holes for the safety chains back?- I will try and post a pic- I got around this by using a smaller bolt to hold the hitch on- (I don't want to keep doing that since it's not as strong)

Take care of yourself... BUY ANOTHER HITCH.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just use a 5/8"drill bit and clean the hole up. Do not use a smaller pin. Someone's life may depend on it.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
huskyfan68 wrote:
I got around this by using a smaller bolt to hold the hitch on- (I don't want to keep doing that since it's not as strong)

You are joking..... right???

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a sledgehammer and hit the chain loops.

Lakeland_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Bending the metal back stands a good chance of weakening it. Better in the long run to replace it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Bent back” metal has the same strength as unbent metal? But if’n It looks strong...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad