cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to Moab, Bryce, Zion from Durango

tennisgal33
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to visit the Utah NPs in our 43 ft. Itasca Meridian this month. Any advice on roads, campgrounds, weather will be appreciated. We’re told the heat can be
an issue.
6 REPLIES 6

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
BarryG20 wrote:
From Bryce 12 west to 89 south to 9 west at Carmel Junction will put you into Zion. double check the Zion Website for the Tunnel Restrictions but I think you should be ok. If not you will need to cut across somewhere north of there like Panguitch and hwy 20 to get over to I15 then south to 17 and then 9 into Springdale west entrance to Zion

There's no way they are going to let you through the tunnel with a 43' MH!! They made me get a permit just for my dually!!

Go through Panguitch.

From the NPS website:
Prohibited Vehicles
Vehicles over 13 feet 1 inch tall, Semi-trucks, vehicles carrying hazardous materials, vehicles weighing more than 50,000 pounds, single vehicles over 40 feet long, combined vehicles over 50 feet long. All Bicycles. Pedestrians.

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully you'll take 24 south, because Goblin Valley is definitely worth seeing and strolling through. Hwy 12 over Boulder Mountain has spectacular views from high up; I'm told that one could see for 50 miles on a clear day.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Out of Durango take 160 west to Cortez then I think it is 491 to Monticello then 191 to Moab. From Moab you have a couple options. Head north to I70 and west to Green River at this point you need to make a choice. Just west of Green River you can take 24 south to Hanksville and go west on 24 to Torrey (you will pass though Capitol Reef National Park). And then at Torrey you can also make a choice head south on 12 to Boulder, Escalante and onward to Bryce 12 is one of the prettiest roads anywhere. However some seem not to like it due to its 15ish mile stretch or so of twisty, curvey, narrow shoulder experience. The road itself is fine and the scenery is just great. However if you arent in to that at Torrey you can contiune on 24 to Loa and beyond to I think it is 62 then south to Bryce (there is a cutoff called Browns lane headed to Koosharem that will save you a few miles and cut you over to 62). 62 later turns into something else then into Johnson Valley Road it will put you right at the entrance to Bryce. All beautiful decent road. The other option back at Green River is to stay on I70 headed west to hwy 72 take that south to Loa and Highway 24 at Loa then as above from there to 62. 72 is a good road with little traffic. You also have the options of staying 70 and getting off at 24 then south to 62, or staying on 70 to hwy 89 to 12 then east on 12 to Bryce. Green River west on 70 is also a very beautiful stretch of Interstate up through the San Rafeal Reef and across the San Rafeal Swell.

From Bryce 12 west to 89 south to 9 west at Carmel Junction will put you into Zion. double check the Zion Website for the Tunnel Restrictions but I think you should be ok. If not you will need to cut across somewhere north of there like Panguitch and hwy 20 to get over to I15 then south to 17 and then 9 into Springdale west entrance to Zion

Weather Moab and Zion very warm to very hot high 80's to low 100's. Bryce will be 70's to 80's.

Campgrounds Bryce Ruby's Inn has a large Cg but I would make reservations. I doubt a 43'er will fit in any of Bryce's Cgs. Zion park more than likely full but check out area Carmel Junction and on west side Springdale again though not sure I would wing it there call now for reservations. Moab many to choose from but once again very popular might want to reserve though there are areas for boondocking but this time of year might be sketchy just rolling in hoping to get a spot.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove from Cortez to Green River, UT, via Moab on July 2, 2019. The road is fine--two lane with numerous passing lanes. Some road construction but that is happening is lots of places. We usually stop for lunch or a break at the city park in Monticello, Ut. It is an easy place to park--at the stop light, turn right on highway to Moab, park is on the right. Make a right turn and then another right turn and park along that side of the park. To depart, pull up to the next street, right turn to the light, then right turn to road to Moab. Others are correct, expect hot conditions--maybe Bryce will be a bit cooler in the AM. In Moab, we stay at the KOA. I will write another response after looking up RV parks near Bryce and Zion.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Directory West
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where are you going after that...Moab first or last? Yes, it’s going to be HOT so you will need FHU CGs or running the generator 24-7. We are planning on starting in Moab the middle of September ending up at the N Rim end of the month.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...