cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magnum Inverter/Converter Question

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2011 Meridian. As part of their Inspection they replaced all 6 AGM Batteries. Seems like Magnum 2812 Converter/Inverter is stuck in "battery save" mode. My house voltage on the batteries is 11.7v and engine batteries are on 12.4 v. How do I get the charger to start charging these batteries. Any Idea's. Also shows "0" battery draw on the magnum panel.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie
12 REPLIES 12

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
FIXED . . .

Problem is that inverter/converter was changed out and remote panel was not. Inverter software is 5.9 and panel software is .7 They are not compatible. Have new remote panel coming.
Where we are now

Steve and Joy

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
navigator2346 wrote:
Why are you going to call Magnadyne when you have a Magnum inverter?

It was a typo . . . Corrected now . . . Thanks
Where we are now

Steve and Joy

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Why are you going to call Magnadyne when you have a Magnum inverter?

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Back to doing it again. Went through the bulk, absorb, float cycles after reset this morning and batteries are at 12.5 now. Will check throughout the evening and place a call to Magnum tomorrow. Unit is only 8 months old according to their manufacture code
Where we are now

Steve and Joy

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
The batteries are the original style AGM batteries. There are 6 of them. Battery type is set to AGM 2 and the Battery AHRS set to 200. Charge is set to 100% and VAC set to 100

Did a reset this morning via the manual instructions by holding the power button for 15 seconds then let it go. it went through it's blinking lights and clicks. Then turned back on. After that it seems to be working right for now. Is currently in "float" mode.

My panel shows the current draw when ever a light is turned on. If inverting it will say like -23 amps and when on AC it will normally show like +16 then when a light is turned on it will show like +18 to show more draw.
Where we are now

Steve and Joy

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Now, Are the AGM's ORIGINAL factory installed style batteries? NOT asking if the batteries were original, asking if the Meridian came with AGM's. Why? Because the Magnum has to be SET for charging regular Lead batteries OR AGM batteries. Very few people realize this. The Owner replaces the Lead batteries with AGM's but does not know to set the Magnum for AGM charging. You do the set up thru the remote panel. Verify this and if set for Lead, your new batteries will be ruined in a few months. Doug

The 2011 Meridian came factory with four (4) 31 series AGM coach batteries and a Magnum 2000W inverter. With the residential refrigerator option - that got upgraded to six (6) 31 series AGM coach batteries and a Magnum 2800W inverter (2812).

Ranger - you should make sure they didn't change the settings on the Magnum. Under battery type, Use AGM2 for the typical East Penn or Trojan (most brands), or if you installed Lifeline use AGM1.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
So yesterday the batteries went down to 10.5 volts. Did a reset and it came back up to bulk mode with 130 amp on remote for batteries. It apparently charged them. This morning it is back in "batt save" mode and currently at 12.7 volts and showing 0 for current draw on remote. I would think there should be some draw as we are using 12v lights etc.

Yes I am connected to AC and a 50 amp service with both legs operating properly.

I have seen my Magnum 2812 hit 130 amps charging whenever the batteries are low. Normal operation.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ranger Smith wrote:
So yesterday the batteries went down to 10.5 volts. Did a reset and it came back up to bulk mode with 130 amp on remote for batteries. It apparently charged them. This morning it is back in "batt save" mode and currently at 12.7 volts and showing 0 for current draw on remote. I would think there should be some draw as we are using 12v lights etc.

Yes I am connected to AC and a 50 amp service with both legs operating properly.

I believe the current draw is only when in INVERT mode and not connected to 120. I have NEVER seen a magnum go to 130 amp charge rate. usually the top is about 100 to 110 amps. Now, Are the AGM's ORIGINAL factory installed style batteries? NOT asking if the batteries were original, asking if the Meridian came with AGM's. Why? Because the Magnum has to be SET for charging regular Lead batteries OR AGM batteries. Very few people realize this. The Owner replaces the Lead batteries with AGM's but does not know to set the Magnum for AGM charging. You do the set up thru the remote panel. Verify this and if set for Lead, your new batteries will be ruined in a few months. Doug

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer

Where we are now

Steve and Joy

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks that did it !!!
Where we are now

Steve and Joy

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Disconnect 120 power to the RV. Disconnect the Positive cable to the Inverter for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes reconnect the Battery cable and then connect 120 shore power. That will reboot the Magnum. Doug

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta ask......
Are you connected to an active 110 V input source.....like shore power or have the generator running ?
And is the battery disconnect switch in the "connected" position ?
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"