Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: charging batteries with truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> charging batteries with truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago when the fifth wheel that I had at the time only had room for one battery, I carried 2 more in the back of my truck. I used 2 sets of good jumper cables with ring terminals on one end and winch connectors on the other end to supply extra battery power when dry camping. Fast forward a few years and my current trailer has room for 4 batteries so I do not use the cables like I used to. However, I got to thinking about using those same cables to charge my batteries using the truck. I would not be using it for hours to run everything
but just a little while to top off the batteries in the trailer. Has anyone done anything like this?

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seen it often where folks use jumper cables from truck battery to trailer battery for a quick recharge. Theory is the jumper cables are shorter and fatter than the long skinny wires back to the 7-pin.

Neither method gives you much of a recharge, but it can keep you going. Better to have a small generator and use your converter for a higher amp, faster recharge. Solar can sometimes help too.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can certainly be done. Use good jumper cables right off your truck battery to the trailer batteries.

The however in this case is your truck engine is producing a substantial amount of power just to run it's engine. A 2K generator will produce much less power and it's easier of fuel to run. The battery pack will take a charge at the same rate from both. One engine uses a lot more fuel than the other.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems an old fashioned and fairly ineffective way to charge batteries. A solar system will give you a faster and full charge.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using one of those 10-watt Solar Panels sitting in the windshield area to trickle charge extra batteries when needed... When connected to my battery I can see my battery charge start out above 12VDC right away and will eventually creep up to 12.6-7 Volts

I think the MAX current is around 100MA or so which should not do any over charging of your battery...

This certainly makes a difference if you are sitting for a long period of time and not running the vehicle etc...

[image]
Google image

Mine has these 2-pin connectors on it and I built up a lighter plug adapter so I can plug this solar panel into an always hot 12V Connector inside my truck... Great for trickle charging my truck start battery doing this...

[image]
google image

I'm thinking this may be a great PLAN B thing to have around...

You can pick these 10W Solar Panels up from AMAZON for around $40...

Roy Ken
[image]

* This post was edited 07/04/19 09:07am by RoyB *

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. Your trucks batteries and alternator are not reallly suited for charging your trailer batteries.
Get a solar panel and/or a quiet generator. Buy a long power cord for your trailer and you can run the generator in the back of your truck.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar is a better solution.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Solar is a better solution.

Sometimes. [emoticon]

[image]

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No question, 2oldman, solar needs a backup for those days but they are few.

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. When I retire and can spend more time on the road, I plan to get the smaller inverter generator and some solar panels. I have plenty of battery for a weekend of dry camping. I was just thinking about the once or twice (or maybe zero) times in a year that we would be able to get out for a longer time dry camping. I already have the cables so that would be no cost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> charging batteries with truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS