cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car dolly's what to look for?

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I want to get a tow dolly what features am I looking for? What tie down type? what design?

I do not want to break the bank I have plenty of room to store it I already own 2 16' car hauler trailers one enclosed and one open but don't want to deal with a trailer that size.

I don't want to trade cars mine can't be towed 4 down a 2008 Mazda 6 auto FWD.

I have the ability to repack or replace the bearings and races if needed. There are many on our local CL used. I am setup for electric brakes on our MH. What do I look for?

Eventually I will get a different car that can be towed 4 down I have a tow bar that I got with our coach.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
14 REPLIES 14

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I 2 will never use one again but the demco folds saving a lot space even the tong many camping areas don't have the room for one but this one would do.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed with a dolly for a while, before going to 4 down towing. Like most, I much prefer 4 down towing, but if I ever go back to a tow dolly (won't rule it out), it will be with the same one I had before, what is IMO the best dolly you can get (and only one I'd ever own): The ACME EZE tow dolly.

You just can't beat it, IMO. Lightest dolly made, at only 330 lbs, so easier to move around by hand than almost any other dolly. The thing is so low profile, you can store it almost completely under the back of your Motorhome, so it uses very little space when parked (uses less space than even the much more expensive folding Demco Kar Kaddy ). Detachable ramps eliminate risk of ramps hitting bottom of car. Design pretty much guarantees you can take some pretty tight turns, and its almost impossible for car to touch dolly's fenders (I personally tested, verified this on mine years ago). Its light weight means you can tow a pretty heavy vehicle and still stay under the 5k (total) limit many Motorhome hitch receivers have. Oh, and comes with hydraulic activated disk brakes, and LED lighting.

No, I have zero affiliation with the company that makes it. I'm just one that used to own one, and knowing what I know now and what I researched back then.....I know I made the right choice then, and would make the same choice again if I ever decide to go back to dolly towing.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a demco car katty and have pulled it for over 70 thousand miles and in every state. I pulled it with 2 different motor homes and with 2 different cars. It has been painted twice, new fenders, new lights and a complete re wire. It has surge brakes and have never had any problems with getting hot or backing up. You can't back far anyway just like 4 down you can reposition at the pumps with ease. Now I did weld a piece of 2 in angle iron on top of the bump stop as with the last car 16 in wheels I saw it could be a problem. In 12 years of use I've only had to unhook maybe 8 or 9 times as always ask for a pull through. Learn how to use your straps correctly and your good to go.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having towed by all 3 methods I choose 4-down.. Recently I had some work done on the car. I towed it in (Since the shop was like 20 yards off my "Beaten path" and the job was way easier to do with a cold engine) and when one the mechanic drove it up to my rig where I hooked it up.. When he gets around to the RV life he decided right there he'd goong 4 down too.. I was fully hooked faster than he could get the webbing over one tire.

That said.. What I would look for on a dolly is a good "Stop" (Parking stop) the part you "Bump up" against when you pull on.

Was in a campgrond last winter and heard a loud "WHOMP" the party was putting the car on the dolly on the road in front my pull through site The dolly only had about a 1 or 1 1/2" stop and the car went right over it and WHOMP.. We used jacks and planks and still had to call a tow truck to pull it back onto the dolly (Minimum tow bill. thanks to my planks and jacks) That would have been a much harder job with just the tow truck.

SO look for a good STOP for when you pull on.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Roadmaster tow dolly, and am very happy with it. I pull many thousand miles a year with my KIA Sportage attached. It has the swivel pan that the tires set into. I have used three different type of tie downs. The first was the one that came with the dolly, it was totally adjustable. I thought it had to many moving parts. I then went to a total basket style I really liked how easy it was to attach, the problem was it started to show signs of ware to early in its life and the baskets just fit the tires. I am now using one that is a little more to put on but so far seems to do the job.

You should already have a break controller for your other trailers so might as well stick with electric brakes. You will want brakes, good luck.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
Demco tow dolly also folds up and steers one of the best.

x2 Plus easy to store at the campsite when folded.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
tdgulfstream wrote:
i just bought american car dolly. exactly what your're lookin for !

So you own this one and have no affiliation with the company if so how much have you used it? I saw it advertised on my local CL.

I prefer electric brakes. I have had surge brakes on other trailers they are pain in the rear.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Demco tow dolly also folds up and steers one of the best.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Self-steering axle, or swivel pan, surge brakes with a lockout pin as it makes it easier to back. Basket straps to tie down, or plastic coated cables to pass through the wheels. I added magnetic lights to the car for better visibility. Make sure it is wide enough to allow your car to fit. If I had to do over again I would have loved to have removable/tiltup ramps.

Craigslist for a used one if you can but good ones go fast.

When using straps if you stop the car about an inch short of the block, put on straps then tighten down they will pull car forward and never loosen.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™d get one with brakes. Either electric or surge.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

tdgulfstream
Explorer
Explorer
i just bought american car dolly. exactly what your're lookin for !

tdgulfstream
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
I want to get a tow dolly what features am I looking for? What tie down type? what design?

I do not want to break the bank I have plenty of room to store it I already own 2 16' car hauler trailers one enclosed and one open but don't want to deal with a trailer that size.

I don't want to trade cars mine can't be towed 4 down a 2008 Mazda 6 auto FWD.

I have the ability to repack or replace the bearings and races if needed. There are many on our local CL used. I am setup for electric brakes on our MH. What do I look for?

Eventually I will get a different car that can be towed 4 down I have a tow bar that I got with our coach.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Maybe ask in dinghy.

I searched that forum and did not really get the answers I was looking for.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe ask in dinghy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman