cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length restricted rv parks

rapdaddyR
Explorer
Explorer
How many rv parks that anyone has run across do not allow anything any bigger than 40’? Thx
2006 F-250
2008 Raptor 3612
2007 Raptor 700
2009 Razor
http://toyhaulers.atvowners.com/
24 REPLIES 24

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Like the Dirty Harry movies "a man just needs to know his limitations"! If you can't go where you want, there is likely somewhere nearby that you can. Generally this means a higher highly cost (and sometime much higher) but you will be able to find somewhere to park near where you want to visit. State and City parks will be the most challenging but we find to be some of the best in the Country. They put them there for a reason and that's usually the view or the location or both.
We have been very happy with our 40 footer but it's all about the floor plan. There are 45 footers that have less living room than my 40 foot coach. Also, if you plan to have slides you may be quite surprised how much living room you have with the slides out in the 40 foot and still have some money left over to pay for those times you have to pay too much for a site.

Well, he did drive a bus in the Gauntlet....although not as Dirty Harry....
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like the Dirty Harry movies "a man just needs to know his limitations"! If you can't go where you want, there is likely somewhere nearby that you can. Generally this means a higher nighly cost (and sometime much higher) but you will be able to find somewhere to park near where you want to visit. State and City parks will be the most challenging but we find to be some of the best in the Country. They put them there for a reason and that's usually the view or the location or both.
We have been very happy with our 40 footer but it's all about the floor plan. There are 45 footers that have less living room than my 40 foot coach. Also, if you plan to have slides you may be quite surprised how much living room you have with the slides out in the 40 foot and still have some money left over to pay for those times you have to pay too much for a site.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rapdaddyR
Explorer
Explorer
Thx for all the info. You are really making it tough on me to get the 45’ I am fixing to pull the trigger on. I am thinking maybe a 40’ would be better but now to convince the wife and kids on that.
2006 F-250
2008 Raptor 3612
2007 Raptor 700
2009 Razor
http://toyhaulers.atvowners.com/

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I cannot imagine owning an RV that might be too big for an RV park.
I like em under 25 feet. Then they fit almost everywhere.

And I cannot imagine anything less than 40'!

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
We have had length issues lots of times in the 10 1/2 years we have owned our coach. I would say most public parks in National Parks and some States spaces big enough to accept 40 foot is rare. Most newer commercial RV parks are fine with over 40, but I always tell them the size of our rig in case some of their sites will not fit.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
hypoxia wrote:
rapdaddyR wrote:
How many rv parks that anyone has run across do not allow anything any bigger than 40’? Thx

A lot! It is humorous for me to see folks with short campers answering the question and say they have not seen that problem. Also, the longer you are the more difficult to level on a slope.

Were those parks regular commercial RV parks with full hookups or were they government campgrounds?

I know lot's of government campgrounds limit size but I've never seen commercial RV parks that limit the size.

Once we exceeded 40' there have been a lot of commercial parks we don't fit into. The newer boring parks have room but the older fun parks are limited. That is also true of electrical service available.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
hypoxia wrote:
rapdaddyR wrote:

A lot! It is humorous for me to see folks with short campers answering the question and say they have not seen that problem. Also, the longer you are the more difficult to level on a slope.

Were those parks regular commercial RV parks with full hookups or were they government campgrounds?

I know lot's of government campgrounds limit size but I've never seen commercial RV parks that limit the size.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We like state parks and some of those can be limited. As others have said, it was the way the park was built years ago. State and federal parks seem to keep things as natural as possible and as a result it can make things tighter/smaller. That said we have never had an issue finding an alternate CG nearby if one doesn't work - but we travel mostly on the East Coast.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
While not necessarily a restriction, finding open sites for the larger rigs can be challenging (expect for those $100/night resorts!). We are now in MI trying to find campsites and there are plenty available for 30-35 footers but finding a site for my 40' coach has not been successful in the areas we would like to visit (think beach). We were doing find until last week and now all the parks are booked for larger RV's and I may have to stay at Wal-Mart for our next stop before moving on.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
We camp in a lot of the provincial parks in Ontario Canada, and most sites are restricted to 18feet, even though we are 26 feet we still book as most of the time we have been there before and know what sites we will still fit into. but yes there is restrictions with length in a lot of places

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
rapdaddyR wrote:

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cannot imagine owning an RV that might be too big for an RV park.
I like em under 25 feet. Then they fit almost everywhere.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Many National Forest Service parks have limited length restrictions. If you like to boondock you will find many such restrictions.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have run into a few length limited parks.. For example the vendor operated RV park inside the Grand Canyon National Park is length limited. So I drive through it.. WITH MY CAR and .. Well.. Yes.. I'd not wish to try to take my 38' Class A into that place. the turns are too tight.. I have been in some state parks like that as well back in my PUP days even with the PUP one of them was tight.

So now you know. it is not "Discrimination" it is turning radius.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times