cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier Nat'l Park tips?

FF_PM
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to GNP in a couple of weeks. We're flexible on days. What are the "must see's" and "to avoids"? How long is good to take in the park? Open to the interior campgrounds for a few days, or places with hookups for longer than about 3 days (a combination of those is good too).

We have an F350 towing a 31 ft 5er, so size matters.

I appreciate all the advice and tips!
'06 F350 PSD
'06 Jayco Eagle 325BHS 'till 2010
'09 Jayco 25.5 RKS EAGLE SUPER-LITE 'till 2017
'15 Keystone Cougar 283RETWE
Former Marine, Former Cop, Current Firefighter
Everything I wanted to be as a kid!
1*
18 REPLIES 18

FF_PM
Explorer
Explorer
Yes! We went there first day. Definitely a must see/do.
'06 F350 PSD
1*

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
bukhrn wrote:
vermilye wrote:
I won't stop at Glacier National Park without making the long drive out to the Polebridge Mercantile for a cinnamon roll & sticky bun. On the west side of the park.
X-2

X3 Great place.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
vermilye wrote:
I won't stop at Glacier National Park without making the long drive out to the Polebridge Mercantile for a cinnamon roll & sticky bun. On the west side of the park.
X-2
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

FF_PM
Explorer
Explorer
Just back from our trip, Wonderful! I appreciate all the help! We did the NPS shuttle all the way around the Going to the Sun Road. Took hikes from several stops. We stayed at North American RV Park outside the West entrance. Not bad, a little crowded but we weren't there much. Full hookups. Looked through Apgar, it would have been tight and seemed like a lot of people waiting for the bigger spots. Would love to stay there, but traded for the security of a reserved spot. We were in the park more than the campground. Only advice I would add is to bring snacks/food and water along. Not much food is avaialble on the GTSR. Thank you all!
'06 F350 PSD
1*

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
kknowlton wrote:
If you want to park at the Logan Pass visitor center, you need to be there before 9 AM. Otherwise the lot is full and rangers will direct you to just keep going.

Was just there on the 28th somewhere between 11 and 12. Parking was very much at a premium, I and others were circling to get a spot, but the rangers were not directing anyone to keep going

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to park at the Logan Pass visitor center, you need to be there before 9 AM. Otherwise the lot is full and rangers will direct you to just keep going.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
The red buses are fine but save lots by using the free shuttle buses and just sit and watch. But I've also driven the highway dozens of times. there are plenty of places to pull off but parking is crowded.
Jayco-noslide

hot_rod
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Apgar last week. It's a no reservation campground but we had no trouble getting a spot with our 27' 5th. There were sites there accommodating much larger rigs

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I really enjoyed the hike to Avalanche Lake, and the view when I got there.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have reservations or are just winging it? Would like go,there in September.
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rug wrote:
The best tip I can give you is. Do not drive going to the sun road.
Take the Red Bus tour. The top of the cars fold back so you can look straight up. Plus the drivers can give you a lot of information about the road and the park. You will be able to see all of the going to the sun road.

If you drive going to the sun road the one driving will not get to see much, the traffic is bad and there are a lot of twist and turns, there is not much room in the pull outs you will be watching the other vehicles and not the scenery.

^^Yup!

We just did 5 days there, just on the west side. The east side deserves as much or more! Camping sites in the park require arriving very early or reservations. Very few will take your rig, but we had little trouble in Apgar.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Rug
Explorer
Explorer
The best tip I can give you is. Do not drive going to the sun road.
Take the Red Bus tour. The top of the cars fold back so you can look straight up. Plus the drivers can give you a lot of information about the road and the park. You will be able to see all of the going to the sun road.

If you drive going to the sun road the one driving will not get to see much, the traffic is bad and there are a lot of twist and turns, there is not much room in the pull outs you will be watching the other vehicles and not the scenery.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We worked there for 5 summers and it's our favorite place. Not as big a YNP but still big. Do you hike. Don't miss doing the going to the son highway several times using the free shuttles(parking areas very crowded) that let you out at multiple places. Get out at Logan Pass and hike even a short ways in either direction; spectacular. The many glacier area is a must but just about any place you can get to, you can't miss. Invest in bear spray if you hike any as we encountered 2 large grizzly minutes from Logan Pass parking lot. No problem but you never know. You could see a lot in 3 days but 5 to 7 would be better. We like Apgar campground in the Park but no hook-ups and some sites are iffy for your rig. Always been able to get in mid-morning.
Jayco-noslide

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
Going to the Sun Road is a must. If you can find a parking spot at Logans Pass, hike some of the high line trail. In my opinion, the Many Glacier area on the east side of the park has some of the best hiking trails. Iceberg Lake and Grinnell Glacier trail just to name a few. Lots of places to stay on the west side, east side your kinda limited by length of your rv inside the park. St. Mary KOA if you need FHU on the east side.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch