BLM considering restrictions on dispersed camping in Utah

Community Alumni
Not applicable
20 REPLIES 20

caver
Nomad
Nomad
4runnerguy wrote:

I've been going to the Moab area since the mid-60's and currently we go out there four to five weeks a year, and I've seen a lot of changes in that time.

I started camping around 96 and one of my first trips was Moab. After watching Thelma and Louise and wondering where did they film this? I want to go there. I did motels up until that time for a couple years but bought my first popup camper around 96 and went to Moab. Even in that time I've really seen it change. Years ago i stopped going there in alternate years as it was just too overrun with people.
Most people today don't even know about the uranium mill right across the river.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
By bringing tour busses in, it seems like this discussion has gotten a little off topic from the article referenced by the OP. At least with tour busses, they are generally pulling up to designated stops. Besides the on-board toilets in the busses, they also stop at visitors centers or pit toilets. There may be lots of people, but at least they are generally confined to certain areas.

The problems listed in the referenced article are more about boondockers and the damage inflicted by overuse. Actually one of the worst areas now is out on the Willow Springs Road north of Moab. There can be hundreds of campers in a pretty confined area. It's a popular place to go as it is land owned by the State of Utah so it doesn't have the same restrictions as the BLM land. On busy weekends, one can easily see people who have driven out were no one has before to set up camp. Motorcycles and ATV's are driven off road (not by everyone by any means, but just a few bad apples.)

The problem with the Moab area is the environment. It's a desert. Even if you properly dig a hole for your human waste, once the soil is disturbed, it can blow away exposing TP and waste. So even doing it the "right way" doesn't prevent problems.

Currently, dispersed camping is prohibited within a mile or two of the paved roads and large areas in the Castle Valley area are closed to camping altogether. See a map here

These restrictions have been in place for several years now. It is good that the BLM is adding more campgrounds. They do need to figure out how to provide places to get water more conveniently.

I've been going to the Moab area since the mid-60's and currently we go out there four to five weeks a year, and I've seen a lot of changes in that time.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I don't see any bigotry in lotstosee's post. We have been to many National Parks in the last 60 years. In th last 15 years it is true that buses pull up, a hoard of people jump out and rush the best photo spots. The people run over others, push to get into the best spots without waiting in line for the photos.
The restaurants and shops are crowded. Not a surprise.
Other parks are going to be adding shuttles and you will not be driving on familiar roads. Crowding does that.
Please don't call me a bigot, you have no idea who I am and nothing that I said was about being a bigot.

Thank you, that is exactly my point. Now we have millions of visitors coming here to our parks, the busloads are overwhelming. They need to limit these buses or stagger them out.

They unload a bus for lunch of 50 people, overwhelm the restaurants, gift shops, bathrooms are 30 people deep waiting for a stall! Many of these places only have 7 toilets. Women's restrooms are the worst and we take longer. They are all in a hurry, and yes, that bathroom stinks to high heaven, it make you gag.

Busload after busload shows up.

They are not expanding these facilities to handle the load.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Seattle Steve wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Busloads of millions of foreigners in our National Parks add to the problem.

Overcrowding, a busload of people in the bathroom all at once, they are trashed and stink to high heaven.

Try going into the Visitor Center or Gift Shop...overrun by too many people.

Pretty soon you will not be able to drive through Yosemite and will have to get on a Shuttle.

Record sales of RV's but no new campground facilities or updating of parks to handle all the people.

No respect for the environment, peace and quiet, or others anymore.

They closed down the Rubicon due to feces, trash, and the same reasons.

What a shame.

Please take your bigotry elsewhere. I don't come to this website to hear that.

All part of the ever growing complaints in all our parks. Bigotry has nothing to do with it. It is a fact.

I would say you are a Bigot and "indifferent" to others opinions by your post.

I do not "come on here" for people like you to call me names or for your approval.

You go "elsewhere" and do not read my posts if you do not like them.

Nothing really new here. Bigots almost always believe their bigotry is justified.

Nothing new here with you, always believe in your own ignorance...nothing I said is Bigotry!

Facilities are overwhelmed. Both BLM and National Parks. Unloading busloads of people into already overcrowded parks with SEVEN toilets is a problem and it does stink. You don't think 40 people, just unloaded off buses, waiting for a restroom isn't going to smell like a bed of roses? And yes, the bathrooms are trashed.

You are reading way too much into my post.

These facilities are overwhelmed and no new facilities are being built.

BLM land is being over run and now trashed...or why would they be considering closing them down?

Have you been to the Grand Canyon and seen it yourself? Seen the hundreds of buses? Waited in line for a restroom? Doubt it.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
..... And to think that during 1967-1971 I served in the AF in Utah - the DW and myself were backpackers, fisherpersons, hikers - and we NEVER visited the Southern or Central parts of Utah at all when it was really wide open and pristine. What a missed opportunity for the both of us. ๐Ÿ˜ž

However ... there is one way to still get away from the crowds if you have the right RV systems and can get used to the conditions: Boondock camp in the U.S. deserts in the summer.

Few folks can or will tolerate hot camping. We have done some rockhounding in the extreme heat - during which we had pristine places and their heat to ourselves. You don't experience many tour buses, ATVs, motorcycles, or hikers from around 95 degrees on up.

Our Onan generator, rooftop A/C, and great 12V fans are priceless. We also keep a light colored umbrella over our heads when outside looking!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
No one's faulting anyone. It was just a very unusual sight.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Just an observation.. ok? Years ago I witnessed Japanese campers taking their rice cookers to the campground restrooms. Many of them at once. Is that racist? Can I say that?

Id rather see that than Americans texting and driving. I don't fault the Japanese for doing what they feel is normal. Just trying to cook a hot meal. Would you feel better if Americans took their micro's to the restroom to heat up leftovers?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Just an observation.. ok? Years ago I witnessed Japanese campers taking their rice cookers to the campground restrooms. Many of them at once. Is that racist? Can I say that?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing really new here. The self righteous are always smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others. Convinced that they are right in their beliefs, attitudes, and behavior and that other people with differing ideas are wrong.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't see any bigotry in lotstosee's post. We have been to many National Parks in the last 60 years. In th last 15 years it is true that buses pull up, a hoard of people jump out and rush the best photo spots. The people run over others, push to get into the best spots without waiting in line for the photos.
The restaurants and shops are crowded. Not a surprise.
Other parks are going to be adding shuttles and you will not be driving on familiar roads. Crowding does that.
Please don't call me a bigot, you have no idea who I am and nothing that I said was about being a bigot.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Seattle Steve wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

Overcrowding, a busload of people in the bathroom all at once, they are trashed and stink to high heaven.

Pretty soon you will not be able to drive through Yosemite and will have to get on a Shuttle.

Record sales of RV's but no new campground facilities or updating of parks to handle all the people.

What a shame.

All part of the ever growing complaints in all our parks. Bigotry has nothing to do with it. It is a fact.

I do not "come on here" for people like you to call me names or for your approval.

Nothing really new here. Bigots almost always believe their bigotry is justified.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is very sad news, but restrictions on boondocking are becoming more and more common. There are some bad apples that have spoiled everything for all of us. The same thing is true of ATVs -- the vast majority of ATV users are law-abiding, but a few fools tear up the landscape and all ATVers suffer as roads and trails are closed off. (I am not an ATVer, but I can see that they are in a parallel situation to boondockers.)

The other problem is sheer demographics and an oddity of medical science. When we boondock, we notice that so many of our fellow dockers are aging Baby Boomers, just like we are. We are all retiring, and there are a lot of us. We all have some (but not a lot) of disposable income -- so instead of traveling to foreign countries, we are seeing the USA.

Worse yet, unlike all previous generations of retirees, we are healthier and more energetic. (Hurrah for medicine!) So instead of sitting at home and watching TV, we are all on the road and doing active sports. Cluttering up the landscape. As they say, I have seen the enemy and they is us!!

Ouch.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Randy0781
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the article. I went through Moab two months ago for the first time in 30 years. What a difference. Traffic (on a Tuesday morning) was nightmarish. Prices for food, gas, groceries are lodging are sky high. Not an empty parking space to be found at any retail establishment. Glad I was just passing through and not staying. Never again.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

What a shame.