Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 5th wheels....heck of a following
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheels....heck of a following

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know nothing is perfect but diesel MH's seem to have a lot of expenses to keep them working. Many winters of happy hours at our site and hearing from others makes us happy to have what we have. Many good reasons for a MH if that is what others want. chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Class A now and was wondering about this very issue. How much more work is it to set up a 5th wheel? Is leveling a chore? Is a 5th wheel still cheaper if you have to buy a new truck to tow it? One distinct advantage I see is if you get a small enough 5th wheel(28 ft or less) that can be towed with a SRW truck you can always use it for a second vehicle.

Setting up a 5th wheel is more work than a class A.
Just hitching and unhitching is more work.
Class A offers push button convenience a 5th wheel requires a bit more interaction than just pushing a button.
In and out of the truck to back up/pull forward etc. when hitching. Raise gate lower gate, There is just more to do.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I have a Class A now and was wondering about this very issue. How much more work is it to set up a 5th wheel? Is leveling a chore? Is a 5th wheel still cheaper if you have to buy a new truck to tow it? One distinct advantage I see is if you get a small enough 5th wheel(28 ft or less) that can be towed with a SRW truck you can always use it for a second vehicle.

Class A offers push button convenience a 5th wheel requires a bit more interaction than just pushing a button.
In and out of the truck to back up/pull forward etc. when hitching. Raise gate lower gate, There is just more to do.

You forgot to factor in the time and effort to disconnect and connect the toad behind your Class A.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Now you can level your 5er with a push of a button just like your MH and I can hook and unhook as fast as you can do your toad. I have had both and the only advantage to a MH now is wife using bathroom with out stopping but at my age now I need to stop and walk a little.
Upside for 5er is more usable space, two recliners instead of two sofas and no strained neck looking sideways from the sofa to the tv.
I loved my MH until I got the 5er. Never will go back to MH now.
I tow a 37ft with my F250 single rear wheel. Lots of miles and no problems.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheels....heck of a following
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS